Carpal tunnel syndrome... what worked for you?

madrobby

11 Dec 2018, 03:18

So today I was officially diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome, after having my nerve velocity and conductivity tested (not the most pleasant test, but yielding interesting data!).

I’m starting with wearing wrist braces during sleep... I’d love to know what helped other people in the same situation. Did you switch to “ergonomic” keyboards? Moved from mouse to trackball? What did the trick for you?

Kurplop

11 Dec 2018, 06:22

I finally had CTR surgery on both hands after 45 years of CTS. Even though they said I had irreversible nerve damage, both hands improved a great deal. The braces made my hands even more numb.I've used several ergo boards over the years with good success. Probably split/skewing the halves and adding some tenting were the two most important aspects for me. I also use a modified Slimblade trackball which helps but it was necessary to lower it relative to the keyboard for better orientation.

Findecanor

11 Dec 2018, 07:51

I had no diagnose. Only light pain in my right wrist (and middle finger). Used a wrist brace for a little while at home. Switched to vertical mice (and removed the scroll wheel).

stratokaster

11 Dec 2018, 08:51

Mine wasn’t bad enough to require surgery, but I had to wear braces for a long time plus I got a couple of courses of vitamin B shots (it is widely believed by medical professionals in Russia that vitamin B12 helps to repair damaged nerves).

I was also strongly advised to switch from mouse to trackball. I haven’t used a “normal” mouse for 4 years. Right now I use a trackball in the office and a combination of vertical mouse and touchpad at home.

clickityClackity

11 Dec 2018, 09:17

Switching keyboards/layouts and mice often helps me a ton... Not the best thing to know, kind of feeds the keyboard addiction. It's a vicious cycle.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Dec 2018, 09:18

Not diagnosed either, but steady uncomfortable feeling in my right wrist, elbow and shoulder,
which completely disappeared in a matter of days after I switched to a RollerMouse.

andrewjoy

11 Dec 2018, 10:42

A rollermouse in work helped the lower level of pain in my wrist and elbow.

This lets me save my mouse time for home when i need it .

madrobby

11 Dec 2018, 13:32

clickityClackity wrote: Switching keyboards/layouts and mice often helps me a ton... Not the best thing to know, kind of feeds the keyboard addiction. It's a vicious cycle.
Finally I have a solid argument to make to my wife when she asks me why I need all that old junk! :lol:

Hypersphere

11 Dec 2018, 15:14

Prevention is always better than treatment, but now that carpal tunnel syndrome has already occurred, follow the physician's instructions for recovery. During recovery and afterward, use a good typing posture. This consists of keeping the wrists straight and not using a wrist rest while typing. In addition, if you can tolerate aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs, take one of these during your recovery phase. Be patient -- damaged nerves take a long time to recover. Be sure to keep using preventative measures such as good typing posture to avoid recurrences. Good luck!

Return to “Off-topic”