CAD-noob seeking help

Lustique

01 Mar 2012, 21:37

Is it possible to get something likes this including measurements from a simple (!) 3D-model using freeware?

The thing is, I want to build something keyboard related, which will be, more or less of a rectangular prism shape (a wooden wrist rest). I would like to do this with a CAD programme (freeware), to get an idea of what I will (try to) build, so I would like to create a 3D-model. But for the actual construction I would like to have something like a "construction plan" (sorry, don't know the right term, neither in English, nor in German :oops: ), so to speak, i.e. some kind of sectional drawing of the front, back, top, side, etc. with the right measurements.

Is it possible to do something like this automatically with a CAD programme?

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Mar 2012, 22:12

Quick question...what do you do at the moment? If you are at a university studying, you can get Autodesk AutoCAD Student version for free. It can do that.

Spharx

01 Mar 2012, 23:16

He don't even has to be a student to get the Autodesk student software :lol:
Just fill in wrong information in the forms like I do nearly every time :evilgeek:

students.autodesk.com

But don't expect that this program will do something for you ... nonnonono it's software for professionals :!:

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Mar 2012, 23:25

Nah, you can only get it if you have a legitimate university email address, otherwise no go.
btw the word you are looking for is "Fertigungszeichnung".
I might be able to give you some pointers, but I dont think I will have the time to do the drawing for you, unless it is a small thing...pm me what exactly you are planning and I'll think about it.

Spharx

02 Mar 2012, 00:01

I just registered yesterday with a 10minutemail.com trashemail :P

Ascaii
The Beard

02 Mar 2012, 08:50

Have you been able to download any software? In order to get a product key to unlock the downloaded software you do need a university email.

Spharx

02 Mar 2012, 14:35

Yes I have installed and activated my student version of AutoCad 2012 completely just with the trashmail.

Ascaii
The Beard

02 Mar 2012, 18:12

wtf O_o

Lustique

02 Mar 2012, 21:29

Ascaii wrote:Quick question...what do you do at the moment? If you are at a university studying, you can get Autodesk AutoCAD Student version for free. It can do that.

Yes I am. Is this the only software you know of that can do what I want that I can get free? I would like to use something like FreeCAD or something else I don't have to register for. :oops:
Spharx wrote:[...]But don't expect that this program will do something for you ... nonnonono it's software for professionals :!:
Well ... To be honest I have never done anything CAD-related before, so I guess working with this software would not be as easy as I hope? :|

Ascaii wrote:Nah, you can only get it if you have a legitimate university email address, otherwise no go.
btw the word you are looking for is "Fertigungszeichnung".
I might be able to give you some pointers, but I dont think I will have the time to do the drawing for you, unless it is a small thing...pm me what exactly you are planning and I'll think about it.
Thanks! I was thinking about "Explosionszeichnung" or something like that, but I didn't find what I was really looking for. :oops: Well, to be honest I don't exactly know what I want to do either, hence my idea of creating a 3d model. The only thing I know are, that the wrist rest should be as wide as a G80-3000, have a height of slightly less than 2 cm at the highest point, and should be about 7-10 cm deep. I do not even know whether I should incorporate some kind of slope or not, since the only wrist rests I have used until now where the ones attached to this keyboard, a Logitech Internet Navigator. :?

Ascaii
The Beard

03 Mar 2012, 03:13

The good thing about the autodesk student community is that there are near limitless tutorials, video help, forums, and also online mentors to help learn AutoCad. You can get proficient in a few days of following the CAD tutorials in the program.

Lustique

21 Mar 2012, 01:34

Thank you again for your tip concerning AutoCAD, but to be honest I didn't try it yet, nor did I try any other CAD program in the meantime. I really wanted to get AutoCAD after I watched a tutorial where you could see how easy you could create basic 3D models, but as I looked at the system requirements, I quickly rejected that idea (currently I use a PC that does not even meet the system requirements for 3D modelling with AutoCAD 2008 :? ). I then searched for free alternatives and found MEDUSA4 via youtube-links (http://youtu.be/veUhhY0ze6w) that looked almost perfect, but I would, more or less, have to give them a lot of information (name, city, MAC address (! no joke !)), so I kicked that out immediately, as well. Oh, and FreeCAD seems to be pretty counter-intuitive when it comes to modelling...

I then wanted to, at least, create a basic 3D model, just to see what it could possibly look like, without precise measurements, etc. I wanted to use Blender for this, since I used it 2-3 years ago (or something) for some unproductive modelling (I knew the basics, though), but as I saw the new UI (the last version I used was 2.49 I think), I wasn't even able to add Suzanne or even a simple plane (not as in aeroplane) or something (I'm not even really in my mid-twenties yet, but I already feel old. :mrgreen: ). Well, I think I will just have to grab a piece of wood and tinker with it a little. If I manage to at least do this, maybe a decent wrist rest will come out of it. (I think I might have a little problem with motivation. :D I tend to get highly motivated about certain things, just until I try them and encounter even the slightest resistance, which then very often leads to a total loss of motivation on my side. :? )

I, by the way, changed the measurements a little. I'm now thinking that 30 cm × 8 cm × 1,5–2 cm might work better. Do you think that these dimensions are OK for a wrist rest?

dox

21 Mar 2012, 02:14

For any 3d work, I prefer SolidWorks over any other cad program I tried (inventor, autocad, solid edge, catia, freewares).
It's quite easy once you got the fundamentals.

Spharx

21 Mar 2012, 02:51

@dox How much time did you needed for this progress ?
Also I would like to know whats happens after the cad file is finished. Only with the cad file you can't do much, so you have to work with cam software further right?

dox

21 Mar 2012, 03:05

I could have done a model like about 1 month after I started using solidworks but I'm faster then average and I have an industrial detailer formation.
When your model is done, depending on what you want to do, you can export files in different format used by modern machine shops list *.step or 3d printing *.stl. You can also make a 2d drawings from your model.

Gilgam

23 Mar 2012, 12:45

Is Blender so lame ?

I used to play with pov ray years ago. It was a very nice experiment :mrgreen:
Vim power :-) GUI are for suckers :mrgreen:

http://www.povray.org/community/hof/

Lustique

23 Mar 2012, 14:26

dox wrote:For any 3d work, I prefer SolidWorks over any other cad program I tried (inventor, autocad, solid edge, catia, freewares).
It's quite easy once you got the fundamentals.
[...]
As good as it may be, even the student version costs 109 € per year, and as I almost certainly will never use a CAD programme professionally, that is no real alternative for me. But thanks, any way!
Gilgam wrote:Is Blender so lame ?

I used to play with pov ray years ago. It was a very nice experiment :mrgreen:
Vim power :-) GUI are for suckers :mrgreen:

http://www.povray.org/community/hof/
No, that's not it, but they changed the UI quite a lot, so I just didn't find anything any more (although it definitely is an improvement).

Lol, Vim. :D
Spoiler:
Well, I don't think it would be much fun doing something like this Image without a GUI. :lol:

off

01 Jul 2012, 14:41

Well, bump.
Would love to know any free alternatives that seem decent enough, easy enough, and produce files importable for manufacturers.
Interested for: creating plates, creating cases.
I've heard blender mentioned for cases, but that seems like overkill (inc steep learning curve).

$.02s welcome!

lapoune

03 Jul 2012, 18:42

Easiest would be with google sketchup, takes only a couple hours to learn how to use...it can also make plans like in the op, and export to other cad formats.

off

05 Jul 2012, 13:01

Ah, thanks, very familiar with that one myself; haven't tried it for keyboard stuff though, and not convinced that designing simple keyboard layouts is the application for it, but:
Shapeways compatible through a few hoops.

pingbat

10 Jul 2012, 20:33

Well, I don't think it would be much fun doing something like this without a GUI. :lol:
You do realise you're posting on a forum full of keyboard geeks o.O

:-P

damorgue

10 Jul 2012, 20:44

You need to decide if you want parametric models or will settle for a mesh/.stl. Surface/mesh modelling differs a lot from solid modeling.
ProE, Catia, Inventor, Autocad etc vs Blender, Alias, 3DSMax etc

Based on your descriptions, I would go with one of the first ones. You can model it parametrically, change anything you want alter and just make a blueprint drawing that shows of all the views and dimensions easily which will autoupdate with the cad-file. Blender and such aren't at all what you need if that is the case.

Return to “Off-topic”