Hello from "iMav"...

iMav

07 Apr 2019, 04:04

I understand I am a divisive "person". Folks question the financial straights that prompted me to sell GH. (believe me, those are real...bankruptcy is, probably, around the corner)

Anyways. I am simply here to ask the question... Should I abandon the "iMav" persona? I can abandon all accounts and simply "fade away"... (I assume MOST would like that)

Anyways...glad to see any and all keyboard enthusiast communities thriving!!

iMav

07 Apr 2019, 04:08

I believe ripster STILL disparages me daily on reddit... fun!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Apr 2019, 07:47

not sure I understand what is happening

mcmaxmcmc

07 Apr 2019, 09:55

matt3o wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 07:47
not sure I understand what is happening
He's thinking of quitting his iMav account, whether on GH, here, or wherever keyboard-related, and is asking for our opinions. He could still be active on the sites, just under a different, probably unknown name.

I personally don't have an opinion on it, since I'm pretty much just a spectator on the scene.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Apr 2019, 10:12

iMav wrote:
Anyways. I am simply here to ask the question... Should I abandon the "iMav" persona? I can abandon all accounts and simply "fade away"... (I assume MOST would like that)
My 2c: Own it.

I deliberately avoided all the drama. I don't like what happened but I don't have enough parameters to build an opinion. You should keep your current identity.

Findecanor

07 Apr 2019, 10:48

Why, iMav? Do you receive large amounts of angry PM:s to your account or something?

If, by chance, some day you really want to post something, maybe about how to run a forum or whatever, unless you post with your own account we won't know it is really you. "iMav" still carries some cred.

Elrick

07 Apr 2019, 10:50

matt3o wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 10:12
iMav wrote:
My 2c: Own it.

I deliberately avoided all the drama. I don't like what happened but I don't have enough parameters to build an opinion. You should keep your current identity.
Maybe he wants to start afresh, something we all want later in Life.

Keep holding onto the past can be a huge liability and having a New persona on the Web, can be something to aspire to and can be extremely welcoming.

Kurplop

07 Apr 2019, 14:24

I'd keep it if I were you. You did nothing wrong and, if anything, the community owes you for starting and maintaining GH for so long. I think most people realize that.

Laser
emacs -nw

07 Apr 2019, 15:32

^^^ Ditto. Maybe focus on the RL problems in the 1st place, and let people talk as they always do.

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Apr 2019, 15:56

Findecanor wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 10:48

"iMav" still carries some cred.
Absolutely. Why not just let it go dormant for the time being?

ZedTheMan

07 Apr 2019, 17:16

I say keep being iMav.
You've still got a legacy even if it ended on shakey grounds, and so your word still carries cred in the community.

Julle

07 Apr 2019, 18:00

Hi Mav...I mean hi iMav!

I don't have the slightest idea what's happened in the keyboard community in the past 5 years. All I know is that when I was a kid, my first computer had a mechanical keyboard. Later in my life, I started yearning for the feeling of that keyboard, but I didn't even have the proper terms to describe what I was looking for until I came across Geekhack. So, I can only thank you for creating that community and helping me get into the hobby. I hope you figure out a way to get your financial affairs in order.

P. S. Ripster was and still is a cunt.
P. P. S. I'm the cunt who made your avatar. I'm glad it's still part of your online presence.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

07 Apr 2019, 21:08

Hi iMav! Life is full of ups, downs, and haters. Be true to yourself and give it time. Lurk if you want, up to you, I personally don't see the need. If in doubt go back to what brought you here in the first place: love of keyboards. Thanks for stopping by!

abrahamstechnology

07 Apr 2019, 21:28

Newcomers like me appreciate all the groundwork people like you have done for the mechanical keyboard revival, thanks!

depletedvespene

07 Apr 2019, 22:34

Did you rip people off? Did you steal something? Did you commit a crime or a felony? AFAIK, the answer to that is NO.
Did you do something that was unpopular? To some, yes. Was it out of a whim? No.

Keep being iMav and be proud of the good stuff you DID do. If you need to take a break, then DO take a break and come back later when you feel you can enjoy keyboardery again.

As per ripster... he can rot in hell with nothing but mushy rubber domes on an keyboard with the orthoandré layout to type on.

deacon

22 Apr 2019, 22:50

iMav wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 04:08
I believe ripster STILL disparages me daily on reddit... fun!
Umm... not really.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... =new&t=all

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

10 May 2019, 03:13

I changed my user name on another forum because a crazy poster kept harassing me and make false accusations. I just wanted to discuss the topics of the forum. Worth changing one's online identity if you just want to talk about the topic at hand without being hassled.

Delirious

10 May 2019, 04:15

iMav wrote:
I understand I am a divisive "person". Folks question the financial straights that prompted me to sell GH. (believe me, those are real...bankruptcy is, probably, around the corner)

Anyways...glad to see any and all keyboard enthusiast communities thriving!!
It's your forum, you can do whatever you want with it. You dont owe anybody anything. If I walk into a restaurant and the owner refuses to service then I have to go find another place to eat. Simple as that. I think you did the best for your situation back then. Good for you my dude.

As far as internet persona, unfortunately it is the internet. Everybody is judgmental on the internet. Maybe it is in your best interest that you change your persona if you don't want to deal with the memes.

Return to “Off-topic”