Unpopular opinions thread

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 16:49

purdobol wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:44
depletedvespene wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:14
The backspace icon should never have been an arrow, considering all other arrows in the keyboard indicate movement. The ⌫ symbol (and ⌦ for the Delete key) from the typewriter era should have been retained, and that would have led us to live in a slightly happier world.
True. Would add to that double action switches that were prevalent in typewriter era.
So in case of a backspace key:
1st actuation - deletes one char
1st actuation and hold - deletes chars at steady pace
2nd actuation - deletes word
2nd actuation and hold - destroys the whole line muahahaha
The second actuation commands are better served today with Ctrl-Backspace and Alt-Backspace (YMMV).

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 16:51

Muirium wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:46
Yup. Correct answer: icon mods, always.

Granite is still, legend for legend, my absolute favourite set.
This is quite similar to what I intend to do with the F77 once Ellipse sends his keyboards out (Zed has done a lot of work in that regard, I must say).

purdobol

12 Jul 2019, 16:57

depletedvespene wrote:
The second actuation commands are better served today with Ctrl-Backspace and Alt-Backspace (YMMV).
To each his own. I'm using this feature constantly (adds Ctrl to the key in my case).

Findecanor

12 Jul 2019, 17:28

depletedvespene wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:39
I wish that the layout designers back in the '80s would have taken the time to specify a proper standard for icons on all the non-alphas, ...
Indeed. There are many conventions that are more or less common in different countries because of .. I don't know... local typewriter manufacturers 60 years ago designed their own?

There is an ISO standard, but nobody uses it because it is bizarre at times.
For instance, what do you think and mean?

Many keyboards also have different symbols on locking keys and the indicator LEDs for the same locking keys ... :roll:
depletedvespene wrote:
Just don't accidentally press both modifiers at once. :roll:
Last edited by Findecanor on 12 Jul 2019, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

Chyros

12 Jul 2019, 17:34

That brings me to another great unpopular opinion; Apple sucks ass! xD

User101

12 Jul 2019, 17:36

Chyros wrote:
i think that's not an unpopular opinion. Its a VERY popular opinion. :lol:

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2019, 17:41

Including among Mac users.
Last edited by Muirium on 12 Jul 2019, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 17:42

Findecanor wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 16:39
I wish that the layout designers back in the '80s would have taken the time to specify a proper standard for icons on all the non-alphas, ...
Indeed. There are many conventions that are more or less common in different countries because of .. I don't know... local typewriter manufacturers 60 years ago designed their own?

There is an ISO standard, but nobody uses it because it is bizarre at times.
For instance, what do you think and mean?
(Copied from the Wiki which has them for the standard modifiers)
Many keyboards also have different symbols on locking keys and the indicator lights for these locking keys ... :roll:
That particular standard is bad, indeed. And part of the reason is, IIRC, that they tried to avoid some icons that were in "competition" back then (the Caps Lock three-way fight, in particular, being the worst of the lot, with the three main contenders still in the arena to this day), leading to some choices that were, even then, nonsensical.

But at this point in time, there is more or less an agreement on what each icon should be (Caps Lock being the main key of discord), and only a few changes on what's generally established required, the backspace arrow being the clearest example of this.

We should lead the way to a new, proper standard for icon mods. :)

Findecanor wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
Depends on the text editor you're using. On mine, I got that mapped to UNDO just because. :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

Chyros wrote:
How is THAT unpopular?

katsu

12 Jul 2019, 17:48

I don't like matchmaking in team pvp games and I especially don't like "queue and run end game content" in mmorpgs.

zrrion

12 Jul 2019, 18:33

The 3rd best way to do lock lights is with a toggle switch, the 2nd best is with an integrated LED, the best way is with both.
Caps lock is the only useful toggle.

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 18:45

zrrion wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 18:33
The 3rd best way to do lock lights is with a toggle switch, the 2nd best is with an integrated LED, the best way is with both.
Caps lock is the only useful toggle.
Now, now, don't disrespect the Scroll Lock (Num Lock needs to go the way of the dodo, though).

That said, programmable multi-layered keyboards with LEDs to indicate active layers would be amazing.

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2019, 19:39

depletedvespene wrote:
That said, programmable multi-layered keyboards with LEDs to indicate active layers would be amazing.
I had that idea back in 2014, when I was thinking of using the MX LED mount for something actually useful in my first custom keyboard. Never did get around to it.

In the years of using 60% keyboards since, I've found I don't need such a state indicator, anyway. Layers are generally instantaneous, hold a key and release it when you're done, for me. But integrated numpad and mouse key modes could still use a light. I use those plenty on my (mostly) LED-free HHKB.

@zrrion: You're right, in that you're wrong. Latching Caps Lock is the only good Caps Lock! At least you know when the vile bastard is active without needing to look away from what you're really doing. Besides, those latching switches are inherently cute.

zrrion

12 Jul 2019, 19:54

A good LED capslock cap will be triple shot though, so even though I like latching best, you can't have a triple shot cap like that and not grace it with the intended LED.

depletedvespene

12 Jul 2019, 19:55

Muirium wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
I had that idea back in 2014, when I was thinking of using the MX LED mount for something actually useful in my first custom keyboard. Never did get around to it.

In the years of using 60% keyboards since, I've found I don't need such a state indicator, anyway. Layers are generally instantaneous, hold a key and release it when you're done, for me. But integrated numpad and mouse key modes could still use a light. I use those plenty on my (mostly) LED-free HHKB.
Indeed. On my F122, F16 toggles the layers for a regular numpad and an hexapad on the same key cluster. I've toyed with designs for "multipad" numpads with four "non-instant" layers with different sets of (alphas) assignments... and all of these ideas would benefit from having a LED layer indicator (or a set of them).

Muirium wrote:
@zrrion: You're right, in that you're wrong. Latching Caps Lock is the only good Caps Lock! At least you know when the vile bastard is active without needing to look away from what you're really doing. Besides, those latching switches are inherently cute.
Latching Caps Lock keys are funky... until you remember the lock key settings can be changed programmatically - it then can become a mess.

purdobol

12 Jul 2019, 19:56

Muirium wrote:
Like this?
[youtube]https://youtu.be/qf8l7hJ1nT4[/youtube]
And layers with latching keys
[youtube]https://youtu.be/3ZhLPxq7qDg[/youtube]
Spoiler:
Love that thing :D

Findecanor

12 Jul 2019, 21:05

depletedvespene wrote:
Findecanor wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
Depends on the text editor you're using. On mine, I got that mapped to UNDO just because. :mrgreen:
The problem is that the system will catch the key combo before the text editor does, and you can't remap it.
We all know Ctrl+Alt+Delete, but Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is used to get out of X-Windows on Unix/Linux: which quits all applications and gets back to the command line or login prompt.
Muirium wrote:
Latching Caps Lock is the only good Caps Lock!
purdobol wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 19:56
Like this?
[youtube]https://youtu.be/qf8l7hJ1nT4[/youtube]
Yes! If I recall correctly, that keyboard had a mechanical arm between the shift keys for disengaging the Shift Lock.

That's how a Caps Lock key should operate! Clicky or at least tactile to tell you when it activates (even if the board is otherwise linear), latching in down position, and snapping back up when you press a Shift key.

The USB HID "standard" has only rudimentary support for locking keys "for legacy support", and half-assed at that. :roll:
Because a report can contain an array of scancodes, each within the full range of scancodes, you can only express when a locking key is active, not when one exists and is not active.
.. and that would be if any OS actually supported the keys, which they don't.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jul 2019, 21:10

depletedvespene wrote:
[…] That said, programmable multi-layered keyboards with LEDs to indicate active layers would be amazing.
This is a standard feature in Tipro keyboards with their 4 layers.
Somehow I feel my keyboard is much better than anything you poor guys have to cope with :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2019, 21:12

For you, it is. You'd hardly choose to use it if it wasn't.

PlacaFromHell

12 Jul 2019, 21:57

kbdfr wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 21:10
depletedvespene wrote:
[…] That said, programmable multi-layered keyboards with LEDs to indicate active layers would be amazing.
This is a standard feature in Tipro keyboards with their 4 layers.
Somehow I feel my keyboard is much better than anything you poor guys have to cope with :mrgreen:
You're right, I'm no more than a greaser. But, whatcha say about your Tipoor?

Just joking, don't get mad.

Chyros

13 Jul 2019, 13:40

depletedvespene wrote:
Chyros wrote:
How is THAT unpopular?
It isn't? xD I see people with iphones and apple laptops and itablets EVERYWHERE!

User101

13 Jul 2019, 13:55

Chyros wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
Chyros wrote:
How is THAT unpopular?
It isn't? xD I see people with iphones and apple laptops and itablets EVERYWHERE!
The thing is that apple is such a megacorporation that even though "Apple is shit" is an extremely popular opinion, there's still like millions of apple sheep that will willingly buy any overpriced garbage apple pump out.

samuelcable

13 Jul 2019, 14:00

i like airpods and siri (more than google assistant) but apples laptops, keyboards, ect all are pretty bad

depletedvespene

13 Jul 2019, 14:22

User101 wrote:
Chyros wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:

How is THAT unpopular?
The thing is that apple is such a megacorporation that even though "Apple is shit" is an extremely popular opinion, there's still like millions of apple sheep that will willingly buy any overpriced garbage apple pump out.
Jobs' reality distortion field was strong like the ones extremely few other people in history have been, but it's starting to finally wear off. The proof is that Mac Book Pro users are slowly realizing that their current laptops are underpowered and overpriced, but, critically, also realizing that they've always been so.

With some luck, Apple's hardware sales are going to start tanking in about a year (escúchanos, Señor, te rogamos) and with a lot of luck this will happen before they've fully transformed into a media services company (escúchanos, Señor, te rogamos).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Jul 2019, 14:57

Findecanor wrote:
There is an ISO standard, but nobody uses it
we actually used that in granite v1

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2019, 15:44

And that’s why Granite 1.0 was king. It had everything. Just a pity it was only DSA.
Chyros wrote:
It’s the software. If Apple just sold Windows PCs and Android phones, like everyone else, most of us wouldn’t be on them.

User101

13 Jul 2019, 16:28

depletedvespene wrote:
User101 wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Jobs' reality distortion field was strong like the ones extremely few other people in history have been, but it's starting to finally wear off. The proof is that Mac Book Pro users are slowly realizing that their current laptops are underpowered and overpriced, but, critically, also realizing that they've always been so.

With some luck, Apple's hardware sales are going to start tanking in about a year (escúchanos, Señor, te rogamos) and with a lot of luck this will happen before they've fully transformed into a media services company (escúchanos, Señor, te rogamos).
Indeed. However, it is only the pros who need actual productivity that realized their apple product is not cutting it. Among most regular consumers I dont think the apple craze is dying anytime soon.

Additionally, apple will always always attract the general consumers with their STELLAR ads.

depletedvespene

13 Jul 2019, 16:35

User101 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:28
depletedvespene wrote:
User101 wrote:

Indeed. However, it is only the pros who need actual productivity that realized their apple product is not cutting it. Among most regular consumers I dont think the apple craze is dying anytime soon.

Additionally, apple will always always attract the general consumers with their STELLAR ads.

There was a time when Apple survived ONLY because Macintoshes had become THE standard in the graphic design and (lower-grade) desktop publishing industry. There was another time when Apple survived ONLY because a certain criminal sent money their way to avoid being targeted as the monopolist he truly was. Hopefully, the next "thin cows" period for Apple will not be hindered by either blind luck or by any other criminal with dirty money.

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2019, 20:31

They’re richer than Jesus now. Hard to see them blowing the bank in any of our lifetimes.

Also hard to see anyone rising to compete with them, who was as hungry as they were. The 2000s were a glorious time, not just for Apple but for all of us into the categories they pushed forwards. But the iPhone’s success filled their bellies, and Steve died. Hard to see how anyone could bring the magic back, after that.

They’re still fine. This is not the beleaguered 1990s! But no one is insanely great now. Which is a shame. We need that. We always need some of that. Whoever it is. To move the game ahead.

User101

14 Jul 2019, 10:13

depletedvespene wrote:

There was a time when Apple survived ONLY because Macintoshes had become THE standard in the graphic design and (lower-grade) desktop publishing industry. There was another time when Apple survived ONLY because a certain criminal sent money their way to avoid being targeted as the monopolist he truly was. Hopefully, the next "thin cows" period for Apple will not be hindered by either blind luck or by any other criminal with dirty money.

Nowadays apple can survive ONLY with the hype and sheeps they got. So to agree with above I dont see them going down anytime soon.

Return to “Off-topic”