Unpopular opinions thread

brainandforce

07 Jul 2019, 04:47

Blue Alps feel like a tactile switch with a clicker. White Alps feel more like a proper clicky switch. Plate spring and buckling spring switches wipe the floor with any clicky Alps in terms of sound and feel anyway.

samuelcable

07 Jul 2019, 04:49

brainandforce wrote:
Blue Alps feel like a tactile switch with a clicker. White Alps feel more like a proper clicky switch. Plate spring and buckling spring switches wipe the floor with any clicky Alps in terms of sound and feel anyway.
since this is an unpopular opinions thread i might as well say that i think buckling spring is the worst sounding switch you can get. even when floss modded they sound pretty ass

User101

07 Jul 2019, 05:22

samuelcable wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 04:49
brainandforce wrote:
since this is an unpopular opinions thread i might as well say that i think buckling spring is the worst sounding switch you can get. even when floss modded they sound pretty ass
lol this is definitely way up there on the most controversial unpopular opinion list.(if theres one).

That being said, I respect your opinion dude.

zrrion

07 Jul 2019, 07:59

I actually like ping

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jul 2019, 08:40

I prefer tracepath

PlacaFromHell

07 Jul 2019, 10:34

Modern atheism is a politicized sect of idiots who only repeat things when they don't really know even how to apply basic logic.

depletedvespene

07 Jul 2019, 11:48

PlacaFromHell wrote:
Modern atheism is a politicized sect of idiots who only repeat things when they don't really know even how to apply basic logic.
Uhhhh... that does apply to several other ideologies floating about these days.

Chyros

07 Jul 2019, 14:51

PlacaFromHell wrote:
Modern atheism is different from old atheism? Oo

depletedvespene

07 Jul 2019, 15:01

Chyros wrote:
PlacaFromHell wrote:
Of course they're different! Old atheists didn't believe in the Good Ol' God. New atheists don't believe in the New, Improved God.

Compgeke

07 Jul 2019, 15:11

brainandforce wrote:
Plate spring...
I take it you can't touch type at any reasonable speed since plate springs just turn to a mush at any kind of respectable speed. I don't know why anyone would willingly use those mushy switches. Even worse, if you store the keyboard wrong and something runs across the top, the switch housings come apart and you lose the plunger and metal plate! Very annoying.

brainandforce

07 Jul 2019, 18:14

Compgeke wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 15:11
brainandforce wrote:
Plate spring...
I take it you can't touch type at any reasonable speed since plate springs just turn to a mush at any kind of respectable speed. I don't know why anyone would willingly use those mushy switches. Even worse, if you store the keyboard wrong and something runs across the top, the switch housings come apart and you lose the plunger and metal plate! Very annoying.
I've heard Alps SKCP in particular gets mushy with age. However I'm referring to plate spring driven designs in general, including beamsprings.

Khers

07 Jul 2019, 18:32

brainandforce wrote:
I've linearised some SKCM Blues. Much better that way. I find the vague tactility of linear Alps pretty nice.

Then again, I guess I could've just bought SKCL Greens. But, what's the fun in that?

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

07 Jul 2019, 18:39

Khers wrote:

I've linearised some SKCM Blues. Much better that way. I find the vague tactility of linear Alps pretty nice.

Then again, I guess I could've just bought SKCL Greens. But, what's the fun in that?
I did that too! I went all the way with one of them - full on SKCL housing with the LED slot in it. True SKCL blues :lol:

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

07 Jul 2019, 18:41

//gainsborough wrote:
Khers wrote:

I did that too! I went all the way with one of them - full on SKCL housing with the LED slot in it. True SKCL blues :lol:
I’m going to have to ask you two to leave.

;)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

07 Jul 2019, 18:44

hahahahahahaha <3

Khers

07 Jul 2019, 19:05

//gainsborough wrote:
Khers wrote:

Genius! I love it!

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

07 Jul 2019, 19:36

See, snacks, Khers gets it =)

Zaphir

07 Jul 2019, 21:52

Findecanor wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 03:13
The origin for why competitive video gaming is called "e-sport" is from when gamers who entered the US for a tournament had to declare their reason for entry ... They chose the same category has chess players: which was "sport", and then got an idea from there.
Opinion:That does not make competitive video gaming into a sport, regardless of how high your pulse or adrenaline is. A sport is an athletic activity. (Said by a couch potato ...)

Sport also requires that you act "sportily", and show "sportsmanship".
This means that you don't shout obscenities at your opponents, team-members or anyone else. And you don't commit violence upon your opponent. Only a complete a-hole would punch or choke someone who is lying down — which is as far away from sport as you could get.

I totally agree with this.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

07 Jul 2019, 22:05

Weighted cases are annoying. I like to move my keyboard around when I use it.

purdobol

07 Jul 2019, 22:06

Zaphir wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 21:52
Findecanor wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 03:13
The origin for why competitive video gaming is called "e-sport" is from when gamers who entered the US for a tournament had to declare their reason for entry ... They chose the same category has chess players: which was "sport", and then got an idea from there.
Opinion:That does not make competitive video gaming into a sport, regardless of how high your pulse or adrenaline is. A sport is an athletic activity. (Said by a couch potato ...)

Sport also requires that you act "sportily", and show "sportsmanship".
This means that you don't shout obscenities at your opponents, team-members or anyone else. And you don't commit violence upon your opponent. Only a complete a-hole would punch or choke someone who is lying down — which is as far away from sport as you could get.

I totally agree with this.
Meh. Sport is competition with above average skill involved. That requires knowledge and training.
The lack of physical activity does not in any way lessen the fact , that in order to compete at international level, such training, knowledge and most of all dedication is needed. So yeah it's a sport. Just like chess, snooker, darts... the list goes on.
Curling! ;)

PlacaFromHell

07 Jul 2019, 22:23

Chyros wrote:
PlacaFromHell wrote:
They only appeal to basic things like the problem of evil (which doesn't actually proves that God doesn't exist, just allows us to deduce that in case of existing everything points to the fact that God is an evil entity), and they aren't capable of even identify the watchmaker fallacy inside a C.S. Lewis reflection. I wouldn't blame them if in general they didn't think that they are more intelligent only by saying "hey, I don't believe in God, give me attention".

Findecanor

07 Jul 2019, 22:50

purdobol wrote:
Meh. Sport is competition with above average skill involved.
A football/hockey/tennis match between people with very average skills is still sport.

purdobol

07 Jul 2019, 23:00

Findecanor wrote:
purdobol wrote:
A football/hockey/tennis match between people with very average skills is still sport.
Yeah no. We're calling it that to feel better about ourselves. Random match between friends, some jogging, skiing on vacation. None of it is sport in my mind, at best it's activity. True sport means sacrifice. Of time, social life, health even.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

07 Jul 2019, 23:04

purdobol wrote:
Findecanor wrote:
purdobol wrote:
Yeah no. We're calling it that to feel better about ourselves. Random match between friends, some jogging, skiing on vacation. None of it is sport in my mind, at best it's activity. True sport means sacrifice. Of time, social life, health even.
I think there is "sports" and there there is "professional sports" - I think you are referring to the latter.

depletedvespene

//gainsborough wrote:
purdobol wrote:
Findecanor wrote:

I think there is "sports" and there there is "professional sports" - I think you are referring to the latter.
Was about to say this.

purdobol

07 Jul 2019, 23:11

Well the topic was about the latter (e-sport).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jul 2019, 23:49

I don't even care wether I should care or not about esports, let alone their definition

Scarpia

08 Jul 2019, 08:53

Unpopular opinions:
  • Rubberdomes and scissor/butterfly switches aren’t really all that bad. Before joining DT I typed on Macbooks and on a Dell rubberdome with chiclet keys and really liked both; now, twenty-some mechanical and vintage keyboards later, I have owned Topres, Blue and Brown Alps, and Model M&Fs... but I still like the feeling of those Macbook keyboards. The Dell is in a box in the basement and I suspect if I brought it out I’d still like it.
  • Linear MX style switches (with very few exceptions) all feel exactly the same and are only good for rainbow barf loving Fortnite playing ten year-olds - and obsessing over which one is better for your gaming is like audiophiles obsessing over gold cables.
  • We on DT like to piss and moan about the inflated prices of vintage [insert flavor-of-the-month keyswitch/technology here] but as one of the leading sources of public information, reviews, and discussion on the topic, we are actually a main driver of that inflation, by informing the public and generating interest and excitement for these vintage gems.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Jul 2019, 09:43

Scarpia wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 08:53
Unpopular opinions:
  • Rubberdomes and scissor/butterfly switches aren’t really all that bad. Before joining DT I typed on Macbooks and on a Dell rubberdome with chiclet keys and really liked both; now, twenty-some mechanical and vintage keyboards later, I have owned Topres, Blue and Brown Alps, and Model M&Fs... but I still like the feeling of those Macbook keyboards. The Dell is in a box in the basement and I suspect if I brought it out I’d still like it.
  • Linear MX style switches (with very few exceptions) all feel exactly the same and are only good for rainbow barf loving Fortnite playing ten year-olds - and obsessing over which one is better for your gaming is like audiophiles obsessing over gold cables.
  • We on DT like to piss and moan about the inflated prices of vintage [insert flavor-of-the-month keyswitch/technology here] but as one of the leading sources of public information, reviews, and discussion on the topic, we are actually a main driver of that inflation, by informing the public and generating interest and excitement for these vintage gems.
we said "unpopular"

yuchipashe

08 Jul 2019, 10:56

The effort that we do in this hobby would've been put to a more productive and useful cause, rather than hoarding old computer peripherals that are either overpriced or dilapidated.

Return to “Off-topic”