Unpopular opinions thread

Muirium
µ

29 Sep 2019, 10:42

Try an XT or an AT spacebar on for size. Capacitative buckling spring was plenty meaty when given extra spring! Hoof. You can feel your thumbs bulk up after a day on those.

Ozric

20 Oct 2019, 22:41

Ketchup is a perfectly reasonable and tasty thing to put on spaghetti.

PlacaFromHell

20 Oct 2019, 23:01

Ozric wrote:
You should be banned of the entire internet :x

zrrion

21 Oct 2019, 01:50

this is the unpopular opinions thread, not the heresy thread

Chyros

21 Oct 2019, 09:17

Pizza Hawaii genuinely sucks donkey balls through a straw and salted caramel is way overrated.

Findecanor

21 Oct 2019, 10:41

Have I ranted yet about raspberry-licorice? In no time at all, it has replaced many types of licorice on the Swedish candy market. Way to go to ruin the nice taste of raspberry and the taste of licorice, to make something bland and weird. I used to visit certain convenience stores just because they used to have licorice fudge - but since they replaced it with raspberry-licorice fudge: no more.
Those who like the combination could just take a bite of each and combine it in their own mouths instead of ruining it for those who like actual flavour.
Ozric wrote:
That may be a controversial opinion, but not unpopular, people!

mr_a500

21 Oct 2019, 14:07

Here's an unpopular opinion: I hate beer!

I don't know how people can drink that crap. It tastes like carbonated puke, filtered through a dirty sock. (....don't ask me how I know what that tastes like)

The annoying thing is that "having a beer" is a social thing - just like "going for coffee", another drink I hate!

Here's how it usually goes:

"Hey, come on, let's go out for a beer."
"I... don't drink beer."
"Fine, be an asshole."

Chyros

21 Oct 2019, 14:21

mr_a500 wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 14:07
Here's an unpopular opinion: I hate beer!

I don't know how people can drink that crap. It tastes like carbonated puke, filtered through a dirty sock. (....don't ask me how I know what that tastes like)

The annoying thing is that "having a beer" is a social thing - just like "going for coffee", another drink I hate!

Here's how it usually goes:

"Hey, come on, let's go out for a beer."
"I... don't drink beer."
"Fine, be an asshole."
Yes, coffee is fucking awful. I generally describe it as concentrated mud. I have no idea why I like it so much.

I'm very partial to beer though, although in all fairness none of the beers I tried in Canada were remotely good xD .

mr_a500

21 Oct 2019, 14:27

Apparently, American beer is far worse than Canadian beer (at least that's what every Canadian says). Thankfully, I've never tried American beer.

wobbled

21 Oct 2019, 15:00

The Knight Keyboards are overrated, overhyped linear trash that feel like shit with a small amount of dirt.

swampangel

21 Oct 2019, 15:02

Chyros wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 14:21
I'm very partial to beer though, although in all fairness none of the beers I tried in Canada were remotely good xD .
Lots of good beer to be had here, and none of it found at the 4/5 bars that have some kind of exclusive contract with either Molson Coors or AB Inbev :( Except in Ontario where, as far as I can tell, there must be something in the water that interferes with their sense of taste

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Oct 2019, 15:03

I like Budweiser. In general I like plain beers over specialty beers. Beer is a very simple product with just a few ingredients. Specialty beers just fuck around ratios so you get a weird, excuse me, "special" taste. I'm amused by the "piss" snobbery. Don't even get me going about alcoholic grape juice.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Oct 2019, 15:18

webwit wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 15:03
I like Budweiser. In general I like plain beers over specialty beers. Beer is a very simple product with just a few ingredients. Specialty beers just fuck around ratios so you get a weird, excuse me, "special" taste. I'm amused by the "piss" snobbery. Don't even get me going about alcoholic grape juice.
Who knew the day would come for me to agree with webwit ...

flowerlandfilms

21 Oct 2019, 15:25

I don't think Pulp Fiction is a good movie.
The Bruce Willis revenge part is okay, but the rest is just scummy drug dealers shooting each other, why should I give a shit?
Because I don't, I don't give a shit.

Findecanor

21 Oct 2019, 15:39

Reinheitsgebot FFS! No citrus hops, IPA, APA, "Imperial" stouts or hipster ales. No chocolate, wheat, fruit or sourness.
Plain German lager, Czech lager, Dunkel, Pilsner, Bitter, English ale and Irish stout: those are real beers, and with enough variety to go around.

mr_a500

21 Oct 2019, 15:46

flowerlandfilms wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 15:25
I don't think Pulp Fiction is a good movie.
The Bruce Willis revenge part is okay, but the rest is just scummy drug dealers shooting each other, why should I give a shit?
Because I don't, I don't give a shit.
Did you know "shit" in France is called "royale with cheese"?

I couldn't even get through the first episode of Game of Thrones. What a pile of shit.

I also hated Lord of the Rings, Forest Gump and E.T. (... fuck E.T.! Go home, you shrunken bastard!)

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Oct 2019, 16:27

I hate all big budget movies nowadays. Always the same shit story in different clothes, dumbed down for a global market. The last big budget movie master piece was probably Starship Troopers, and that was only possible because it was such a nasty hidden troll in a sci-fi flick.

depletedvespene

21 Oct 2019, 17:15

PlacaFromHell wrote:
Ozric wrote:
More like off Planet Earth the entire Solar System.

depletedvespene

21 Oct 2019, 17:33

mr_a500 wrote:

I also hated Lord of the Rings, Forest Gump and E.T. (... fuck E.T.! Go home, you shrunken bastard!)
I still fail to understand why no one seems to notice he got abandoned because he was strolling at night through some woods, naked. What the HELL was he doing?

depletedvespene

21 Oct 2019, 17:35

webwit wrote:
I hate all big budget movies nowadays. Always the same shit story in different clothes, dumbed down for a global market. The last big budget movie master piece was probably Starship Troopers, and that was only possible because it was such a nasty hidden troll in a sci-fi flick.
... master piece? Starshit Poopers?

Did you even watch the same movie as everyone else?

Chyros

21 Oct 2019, 17:38

mr_a500 wrote:
Apparently, American beer is far worse than Canadian beer (at least that's what every Canadian says). Thankfully, I've never tried American beer.
Yes, we didn't have anything good while we were in the US either :XD: .

I don't think much of most German beers either; many are a bit bland for my taste. For me it's either Dutch lager or Belgian anything else.

Also, bourbon is terrible, and absolutely not worth its already tenuous connection to the term "whisk(e)y". It tastes like sweetened dust water.

listofoptions

21 Oct 2019, 17:43

depletedvespene wrote:
webwit wrote:

Heinlein often has satire so damned thick people mistake it for bad writing. that book/move was 1000% satire on the American ideals of military so if you aren't American its not gonna make as much sense unfortunately :( if you think of it as a B movie satire flick its a lot better.

listofoptions

21 Oct 2019, 17:44

Chyros wrote:
mr_a500 wrote:

I don't think much of most German beers either; many are a bit bland for my taste. For me it's either Dutch lager or Belgian anything else.

Also, bourbon is terrible, and absolutely not worth its already tenuous connection to the term "whisk(e)y". It tastes like sweetened dust water.
then you've not really tried to find good alcohol :( also what bourbons did you have, thats almost certainly 100% your issue. large commercial crap is NOT good.

depletedvespene

21 Oct 2019, 17:48

listofoptions wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 17:43
depletedvespene wrote:
webwit wrote:

Heinlein often has satire so damned thick people mistake it for bad writing. that book/move was 1000% satire on the American ideals of military so if you aren't American its not gonna make as much sense unfortunately :( if you think of it as a B movie satire flick its a lot better.
Sorry, but even as a B-grade satire-on-satire, that thing doesn't work. Total waste of cellulloid.

PlacaFromHell

21 Oct 2019, 18:07

Netflix is overrated as fuck and all that audiovisual trash is just one cliché after another (latin narcos, bad copycats of stranger things and typical rough cops).
Disney movies are noisy and boring.

Findecanor

21 Oct 2019, 19:19

depletedvespene wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 17:33
mr_a500 wrote:

I still fail to understand why no one seems to notice he got abandoned because he was strolling at night through some woods, naked. What the HELL was he doing?
Oh, the Old Janx Spirit ...

Chyros

21 Oct 2019, 20:15

listofoptions wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 17:44
Chyros wrote:
mr_a500 wrote:

then you've not really tried to find good alcohol :( also what bourbons did you have, thats almost certainly 100% your issue. large commercial crap is NOT good.
Yes, the only ones I've tried are well-known brands like Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, and that one with the roses.

I should mention that my taste in whisky is very much in the Islay ballpark (i.e. extremely smokey and peaty). My favourite is Ardbeg, which tastes like ashtray.

mr_a500

21 Oct 2019, 20:48

Ah, ashtray - what a lovely flavour. Other favourites include tar paper, burnt rope and of course, trampled sod.

Ozric

21 Oct 2019, 21:22

PlacaFromHell wrote:
Ozric wrote:
Here in Sweden it is perfectly normal!
Look at this magazine ad for ketchup from the late 80s: https://i.imgur.com/Ew08ILp.jpg

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Oct 2019, 22:29

Swedish cuisine doesn't count. Disqualified for surströmming.

Return to “Off-topic”