Is there something like Deskthority for mobile phones?

abrahamstechnology

01 Jan 2020, 20:45

I like old cell phones probably just as much as old keyboards and computers.
Does anyone know of a forum like Deskthority but for cell phones? Does anyone else here share this interest?

Darkshado

03 Jan 2020, 06:29

Depending on how far back you want to go I'd give XDA-developers a try, that forum began back with early Windows Mobile devices (I joined it back when I was tinkering with my first Android phones).

Howardforums might also be of interest.

Note that there's an important difference between early cellphones and old keyboards: while it is often possible to convert old keyboards to work on modern hardware, and sometimes to keep their original systems functional, it is not the case when it comes to cellphones.

All the analog networks have long been decommissioned, CDMA and 2G GSM are on their way out as well. This leaves you with a "No signal" error and not much functionality on that old phone.

abrahamstechnology

04 Jan 2020, 01:36

Yeah, I had an idea to make a new Android mainboard for the original Motorola Razr but after some research it's above my budget right now. I need to focus back on the Blue Alps kickstarter first.

Darkshado

07 Jan 2020, 08:21

Ah! Have you come across this 2018 clip from Element14? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjX7nS3kIao

abrahamstechnology

07 Jan 2020, 19:20

I didn't, I had the idea because I was disappointed that the 2019 version was nothing like the original, the only modern Android flip phone is the Uniwa F108L which is virtually impossible to get unless you order 3000 pieces or more.

Return to “Off-topic”