IBM Factory #1 ?

SneakyRobb
THINK

09 Mar 2020, 00:15

Hi,

I was looking at the ibm website and found this page about a Canadian factory/head office in Toronto
https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibit ... V2030.html
4506VV2030.jpg
4506VV2030.jpg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
It seems to indicate that the building at 300 Campbell Avenue in Toronto is where the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company or CTR entered the Canadian Market with a factory/office.

For some reason they decided to call their Canadian subsidiary "International Business Machines."

Later the CTR company would rename itself after it's Canadian subsidiary and re-brand as... IBM

I have visited this building numerous times, I always knew it as the "Clock-Factory" as that is what it says on the outside. It is of course, despite renovations, still there as far as I can tell. The current building is not a modern building at the same site. There is an antique elevator with metal scissor doors inside and very strange steep spiral stairs that would never pass modern building code requirements. The interior is made of very old bricks as well. I can personally confirm, that the current building is at least 100 years old.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/300+C ... 79.4500753

What this means then, is that this building, is perhaps the first IBM building.
I have contacted my IBM archives guy Max to ask about this. I notice on the Toronto Heritage website that this is not a listed heritage building. Therefore I contacted him to ask about submitting a formal application to the City to designate this structure as heritage and install a bronze plaque.

Will update if there is a response from the city or IBM archives.

Robb

SneakyRobb
THINK

10 Mar 2020, 03:50

Hi,

I also today submitted a Freedom of Information request on this building as well for good measure.

Robb

Heikkonen

10 Mar 2020, 16:08

This is great news Robb, such a place should be reserved for generations to learn about where it all started.

SneakyRobb
THINK

11 Mar 2020, 14:26

Heikkonen wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 16:08
This is great news Robb, such a place should be reserved for generations to learn about where it all started.
Yeah its pretty cool. Will take a while to hear back from city about any documents they have. Should be interesting

Return to “Off-topic”