Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 02:29

Last edited by Redmaus on 22 Sep 2023, 15:19, edited 5 times in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Mar 2020, 02:44

Redmaus wrote:
Hey, I'm writing this because I'm not really sure what to do here and I find folks on DT have a fair bit of wisdom. I'm going to try and be as objective and transparent as I can in this post so people can make accurate judgments.
How much did you make off all the hauls?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 03:00

Last edited by Redmaus on 21 Mar 2023, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Mar 2020, 03:11

Thanks for the honest response! An (approximate) dollar amount would have been more transparent but I didn't expect an answer to my very direct question in the first place so I'll take what I can get.

Maybe what you're doing is coming off way differently to the outside observer. No one wants to admit their faults so it can be very difficult to look introspectively and actually be objective. So you might feel you're acting appropriately but someone in the same room perceives it as unacceptable.

I don't have really any prior knowledge about this topic, but in reading your post there's clearly a lot of different accusations, but you have an excuse for all of them.

I'm not saying that you're lying (just to be clear). Just wanted to float it out there that you might be doing things you think are fine but other people don't.

Exemplar

17 Mar 2020, 03:35

It only took a few weeks, multiple people calling you out, contact with the owners from DFW, and multiple server bans for you to make this post. At least it came i guess.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 03:42

Last edited by Redmaus on 21 Mar 2023, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Exemplar

17 Mar 2020, 03:43

One second thing. I think you owe the guys at Computer Reset a MAJOR apology, and honestly a good bit of the profits you made off of their charity. You made multiple trips and messes to a charity event. You did this PURELY to make a profit, evident based on the fact that you opened a store very rapidly after hundreds of keyboards to complete systems went missing in CRT boxes. This isn't an apology based on actual guilt, this is an apology because you were caught. I don't like dragging this up, but if I need to, I can supply many screenshots from the group recounting the deplorable behavior you displayed. Just because someone is dying doesn't mean you get to run rampant and, frankly, be a profiteering asshole.

Edited: Rapid typing doesn't result in great spelling.

Findecanor

17 Mar 2020, 03:57

Redmaus wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 03:42
I need to keep more accurate records. The reason I don't have an exact number is because I don't actually know.
You will have to start making better records because you are going to have to pay tax on the profit.
With the exception of any sales you might have made with cash, there are records that you should go through.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 04:08

John Doe

17 Mar 2020, 04:43

I'm not expert about this, but leaving things mess and taking many keyboards(after paid) should not be accused of being a thief anyway. Aggressive.

Resell them with reasonable prices are acceptable aswell from my perspective.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 04:56

zrrion

17 Mar 2020, 04:58

Redmaus wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 04:08
it was a LIQUIDATION
I highly doubt you could have gotten banned from a liquidation unless you were behaving pretty badly. It is entirely possible that you misunderstood what the intent of the sale was, but I find it hard to believe that it took getting banned before you understood that your behavior wasn't acceptable. At any rate, this isn't something that DT really has anything to do with. If you've fucked up your relation with the computer reset folks then you should apologize to them.

Additionally, might I ask how many other people got banned from computer reset besides you? And also have you had this sort of experience before with other warehouses/recycles? I'd be more inclined to believe that this was all a misunderstanding if this was a one-off scenario.

edit:
I bet I could probably double or triple my profits if I sold on ebay.
you would have to take even more care if you did that as you would have to report it on your taxes properly. If you sell outside of a major storefront you might be able to get away with avoiding it. not a tax expert, don't take this as advise of any sort.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 05:04

zrrion

17 Mar 2020, 05:12

Not trying to suggest you're dodging taxes lol, just a heads up since you mentioned not having all your records together presently. its a terrible idea to rely on getting your receipts together later as you will likely loose something in the mean time, it is much safer to keep accurate and timely records, especially at the amounts you have mentioned.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 05:17

ThrowRA

17 Mar 2020, 06:48

https://imgur.com/a/nrOw1HZ

Gonna leave this here since Red cant seem to keep his story straight.

E3E

17 Mar 2020, 07:39

What a fucking mess.

subcat

17 Mar 2020, 07:58

you understand how this looks - half a dozen+ people across a few different platforms with the same story don't exactly carry 0 weight against only your word.

$7000 is an absolute shitload of money, like seriously - that's insane. you're making a point of mentioning that your motivation was to take as many items as possible in order to 'clear out the warehouse' or pay for the organizers medical bills, but it's clear to anyone with a fraction of a brain cell that monetary gain was your primary motive. and yeah, it was a liquidation, it's a free market, etc etc whatever, so there's nothing objectively wrong with that, but cut the crap and admit it. good on you for donating the $500, but won't your profits end up somewhere in the region of 20 times that when all is said and done?

you seem young, $7000 is probably an unfathomable amount of money to you. thus, it's not hard to believe that in your scramble to find valuable keyboards you (even accidentally) left a bunch of crap lying in the way and got territorial about your finds.

again, it's your word against the owners' and multiple people who were there with you.

this is just how it appears to me, anyway.

kmnov2017

17 Mar 2020, 08:50

I know people who went to computer reset, keyboards were sold for 5 to 10 USD a piece.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Mar 2020, 09:03

I love how the "keyboard kid" seems to have really made a name for himself.

It's a very coherent picture of someone who lost all sense for morale and decency when faced with the opportunity to make a profit. Greed override ...

The fact you actually put up a store front to speed up selling while most of these people seems to be vintage computer nerds who were hoping to find a few nice systems and missing components just shows what a ruthless move that was.

What were you expecting? I really recommend you move on if you are looking for a place to circle jerk with other "high stakes" flippers.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 13:43

Last edited by Redmaus on 21 Mar 2023, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

ZedTheMan

17 Mar 2020, 15:14

ngl, really surprised to see Wodan trashing you like this, Redmaus. For what it's worth, you weren't perfect but accusations of theft are not okay when they haven't surfaced at all until recently.

But then, what do I know? I wasn't there, my perspective is incomplete. This goes both ways, of course.

Weezer

17 Mar 2020, 16:47

I'm not really involved in this and I didnt really want to be involved, but I just wanted to share my thoughts after reading through the thread.

Why did the organizers sell the keyboards to RedMaus if they didn't want him to have them? Or let him steal tens of keyboards?

Why did the organizers not tell RedMaus to clean up his mess before he left? I don't understand how a mess could be so big that it was a major problem but so small that no one notices or complains about it until after RedMaus has left. (Yes ive seen computer reset)

Honestly it sounds like RedMaus was certainly taking advantage of everything, but the Computer Reset thing seems poorly managed. All of these issues sound like things that could have been easily avoided by having better oversight over what was going on in the warehouse or by enforcing expectations about what each person could buy.
Last edited by Weezer on 17 Mar 2020, 17:09, edited 2 times in total.

zrrion

17 Mar 2020, 16:50

Redmaus wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 05:04
This is most definitely a one-off scenario.
Are you sure about that? I have heard different.

Honestly though, this thread is you complaining about people not liking your shitty behaviour and your only response is to say it was shitty but not as shitty as everyone says. That's not a good defense, especially when all we have to take your word for it.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 17:57

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Mar 2020, 19:23

I had to think a long way back before I knew what this thread reminds me of.
Look at the date :lol:
Redmaus wrote:
24 Mar 2016, 22:46
Jeez you guys are really desperate to bash Trump aren't you?

You essentially just called him satan with a bunch of false claims.
This, of course, is not to say i think Redmaus did steal anything.
After all, it was quite unnecessary given his "art of the deal".

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 19:28

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Mar 2020, 19:50

Redmaus wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 13:43
Notice too the accusations of stealing aren't in the Computer Reset facebook group, they are in some random PM which could easily be him typing to himself.
Like this?
Redmaus wrote:
Then, after some emails with someone I met at CR I asked him if all those things were true and he had this to say:

This was a huge relief to me as it made clear that I essentially got banned for taking too much and making a mess. Not for yelling at people and the like.
Also, did you donate the money before or after you were banned?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 20:09

Last edited by Redmaus on 21 Mar 2023, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Mar 2020, 20:13

Redmaus wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 20:09
snacksthecat wrote:
Like this?
It's an email. I'm using it to add context to my viewpoint. It isn't the same thing as accusations of stealing. I don't want to include any more details because I don't really wanna drag him into this.
snacksthecat wrote:
Also, did you donate the money before or after you were banned?
After.
Does it make a difference? I wanted to pay my respects to the owners and help with their situation. I knew I wasn't getting back in.
1) It's actually the exact same thing

2) Of course it matters. Guilt is a thing.

Return to “Off-topic”