Special Courier Service?

forter4

15 May 2020, 04:00

Anyone know of a company that can pick up a heavy and bulky item from a place, package it up, and ship it to me?

Oh yea, the item is in Canada (I'm in California). I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything where they would go to the place, and pick up an unpackaged item

The guy I'm buying it from is in his 80s, so he's unable to package up such a heavy item and take it to his local post to ship it

Darkshado

15 May 2020, 16:52

Can you divulge how heavy and bulky? Where is it in Canada? That would help getting a better answer.
The current pandemic will complicate things, especially since your seller is firmly in an "at risk" category.

Thinking out loud: if it's about the size of a computer tower, maybe a smaller shop that ships out custom builds could handle it? Since you're in L.A. what about companies that handle logistics for movie props?

Judging by your post that won't be the case, but... if it's really big: maybe an outfit like Nolinor could help you out. They chartered the An-225 (the world's largest cargo plane) two weeks ago and have a fleet of cargo and combi 737s.

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 May 2020, 19:43

At my old company we used Old Dominion and I know that JB Hunt and Penske are also pretty big freight lines.

You're talking about something that needs to be put on a pallet and moved with a forklift, aren't you?

forter4

28 May 2020, 03:56

Darkshado wrote:
15 May 2020, 16:52
Can you divulge how heavy and bulky? Where is it in Canada? That would help getting a better answer.
The current pandemic will complicate things, especially since your seller is firmly in an "at risk" category.

Thinking out loud: if it's about the size of a computer tower, maybe a smaller shop that ships out custom builds could handle it? Since you're in L.A. what about companies that handle logistics for movie props?

Judging by your post that won't be the case, but... if it's really big: maybe an outfit like Nolinor could help you out. They chartered the An-225 (the world's largest cargo plane) two weeks ago and have a fleet of cargo and combi 737s.
Oh shoot...so sorry I took so long to respond. For some reason, I didn't get notifications

It's not that big, it's an vintage military teletype; about 75lbs. So nothing one person can't handle

forter4

28 May 2020, 03:57

fohat wrote:
15 May 2020, 19:43
At my old company we used Old Dominion and I know that JB Hunt and Penske are also pretty big freight lines.

You're talking about something that needs to be put on a pallet and moved with a forklift, aren't you?
Naw, nothing one person can't handle...thanks for your input; sorry I took so long to answer; didn't get a notification for some reason

Return to “Off-topic”