How did you find your internet nickname?

PlacaFromHell

02 Jun 2020, 05:31

I was only 11 years old. It was a winter saturday and I decided to play some games after taking my morning matecocido (a sort of tea). So, I just started my old Windows XP toaster, opened one of my games and a mixtape of Pantera. Both the graphics of the game and of the crappy Windows XP music player reproducing Cowboys From Hell, which had weird light effects, were too much for my poor second hand Radeon videocard (placa de video in spanish, literally translated as "videoplate" instead of videocard). The thing just started to melt as I saw fire coming out from the PC. The computer displayed it lasts screams of pain until completely die. The melted PCB glued very badly some cables from the power supply and half of my PC was fucking destroyed. That day a videocard and a kid died, but a man was born, that man was Placa From Hell.

Quite a history, right? :lol: And what about yours?
Last edited by PlacaFromHell on 01 Jul 2021, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

02 Jun 2020, 05:39

There're some ritual sense there, not bad experience for an 11yr kid.

JP!

02 Jun 2020, 05:50

Hah! I wondered about yours. I had no idea what placa meant. I used to have a username something like Pantera GTA 03 because I listened to bands like Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, etc and used to play a lot of Grand Theft Auto III. My nickname here is simply my initials but with an added exclamation mark since I needed at least 3 characters for the username yet I had already created an account on Geekhack as jp and couldn't think of anything better when I signed up here. I have others but these two come to mind.

ddrfraser1

02 Jun 2020, 05:58

Mine’s my initials - Drew Donald Raymond Fraser. The 1 is because that’s what’s on my email so it just became my username for everything.

Findecanor

02 Jun 2020, 06:32

I've had several, none of them very good. Each one chosen quickly without much thought.
I've used "Findecanor" since 2005 or so. I put the words "hair burned by the sun" into an "Elvish name generator" on the web (Tolkien's world) and got "Findecano" (name of a long-haired elf) and "Anor" (sun) which I put together. It is of course supposed to pronounced in Elvish dialect: Finn-deh-khan-or.

purdobol

02 Jun 2020, 10:09

Purdo comes from "pierdzieć" which means farting. Bol comes from "jabol" which is cheap wine sold in carton boxes.
It's a long story...

Chyros

02 Jun 2020, 14:53

I made mine up in 1996 for a game of Theme Hospital. Stuck ever since.

sharktastica

02 Jun 2020, 15:05

Mine is shark (my favourite animal) mixed with fantastic + "ca" intended for Metallica (my favourite band). Up until relatively recently, I went by SharktallicA instead.

gipetto

02 Jun 2020, 15:29

I make a new handle whenever I start a new account usually, i chose this because i had enjoyed watching the movie being john malkovich and the protagonist was a puppeteer like the one in the story pinocchio.

ddrfraser1

02 Jun 2020, 15:53

Findecanor wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 06:32
I've had several, none of them very good. Each one chosen quickly without much thought.
I've used "Findecanor" since 2005 or so. I put the words "hair burned by the sun" into an "Elvish name generator" on the web (Tolkien's world) and got "Findecano" (name of a long-haired elf) and "Anor" (sun) which I put together. It is of course supposed to pronounced in Elvish dialect: Finn-deh-khan-or.
Awesome. I thought I was the only Tolkien super nerd in the world. I came up with a name for my gold wedding band - Corma Lauriëlindalë - Ring of the golden Song.

Pronunciation: Lao (like cow) ree (roll the 'r') -ā (long 'a' like aim) lindele (short 'e' sound like bet)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

02 Jun 2020, 16:27

The original final fantasy VII changed my life - I would not be who I am today without that video game helping me when I was younger. Every online name I've ever used has stemmed from that game. I used to go by Tifan back in my WoW days, but since then I've used gainsborough to signify the next chapter of my online life, haha. The // in front comes from the way I sign my actual name on emails and such. Just some personal flair.

This is a pretty cool thread idea!

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Jun 2020, 17:07

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Jun 2020, 17:42

depletedvespene

02 Jun 2020, 18:05

I've had to plead the Fifth on the motivation for my own online handle (what the young whippersnappers call "Internet nickname") so many times that I sometimes wonder if I should just discard it and start being known as "IPleadTheFifth".

PlacaFromHell

03 Jun 2020, 00:49

We have plenty of very interesting ones. I guessed a geek forum should have users creative enough to think beyond the classic "xXXPussyDestroyerXXx" and I was right. NOICE.

Polecat

03 Jun 2020, 04:35

Mine's simply the creature you get when you cross a weasel with a skunk. That characterization preceded me to the internet, and I'm quite sure a few people here wouldn't argue the point.

wobbled

03 Jun 2020, 09:55

From these gangsters.
penguins.jpg
penguins.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 84218 times

Slom

03 Jun 2020, 19:18

It is ... what everybody calls me in real live :D

Slom is an abridged version of my last name. My first name is so common that there are always two or three of us in every meeting; using Slom (or the diminutive Slomi) avoids constantly asking "which one".

forter4

16 Jun 2020, 18:42

My name is Franco. When we were kids, my cousin used to call me Frankfurter. Overtime, that turned into Frankforter; then he just dropped the Frank, and it became Forter

I started using it as my forum usernames and then it really just stuck after I used it for my Xbox Live and PS Network accounts

No one else really calls me that, except for my one cousin and people I game with lol

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

27 Jun 2020, 08:17

There is a point in Neuromancer where the main character is fairly certain that his orders are not being given by his boss, but rather by an artificial intelligence far, far away. In one scene, that AI attempts to talk with him:
He fumbled through a pocketful of lirasi, slotting the dull alloy coins one after another, vaguely amused by the anachronism of the process. The phone nearest him rang.

Automatically, he picked up.

"Yeah?"

Faint harmonics, tiny inaudible voices rattling across some orbital link, and then a sound like wind.

"Hello, Case."

A fifty-lirasi coin fell from his hand, bounced, and rolled out of sight across Hilton carpeting.

"Wintermute, Case. It's time we talk."

It was a chip voice.

"Don't you want to talk, Case?"

He hung up.

On his way back to the lobby, his cigarettes forgotten, he had to walk the length of the ranked phones. Each rang in turn, but only once, as he passed.

Nasanieru

11 Jul 2020, 18:53

Just my name in romaji. Although on tons of other internet boards its been taken so I have like 300000 other aliases

Inxie

16 Jul 2020, 19:18

I've had a few nicknames, but I primarily use Hakemon. At the time I registered myself on this site, I was using Inxie which was a nickname my ex called me (I now wish I was Hakemon here but it's alright).

The nick name Hakemon was given to me by my fathers old co-worker from years ago, as I was big into Pokemon and I was always hacking hardware and software to do things I wanted them to do.

dcopellino

16 Jul 2020, 20:06

I'am nearly off topic, but how to change your own nickname on this website? @matt3o. Is there any chance to do that having initially chosen my nick just using my email that is my surname, after all. I checked on profile options but I didn't find anything useful to accomplish such a task.Any workaround? I'd like to be darkhope that's another acronym of my name.....

Reimu64

23 Jul 2020, 20:25

Got mine from Touhou and the "64" from Minecraft. Pretty basic because I just stole them :P

Half-Saint

27 Jul 2020, 19:30

I used to go by the nickname Saint on IRC. Then I played Half-Life. :-)

vometia
irritant

11 Aug 2020, 15:52

Tried to think of a sensible, lore-correct name for my character at the time. Failed, so I chose a stupid one instead. Of course that's what people started calling me, so 14 years later, there it still is.

stalepie

14 Aug 2020, 12:04

My 8th grade teacher said the only pies that could be stale were cow pies. Since I was in the habit of losing AOL accounts at the time that was my new screenname that day

Iwaju

22 Sep 2020, 21:41

I was chatting on Sunsetia about YT comments or some shiz like that and I said I- wa- ju- (I what just) and someone said "ok iwaju"

and the rest is history

Xarost

01 Jul 2021, 18:35

I usually use 2 or 3 nicknames, but sometimes I get it from nicknames generators like this one but only when I don't use them personally... :!:

Wazrach

01 Jul 2021, 19:22

My surname, Walker = Waz mixed with "Shadrach". I don't know why, but that's the horrible nickname my mother's boyfriend gave me at the time. It's kind of cool and unique, and I'm pretty unimaginative so I couldn't come up with anything better if I tried.

Return to “Off-topic”