The importance of air conditioning

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Jun 2020, 07:57

speechless

Findecanor

18 Jun 2020, 13:15

It was a different time ...
The other day, I binged a few Bond movies with Roger Moore from the '70s and was amazed by things they could get away with back then that would bring an angry mob with torches and pitchforks today.

BTW. Back in the '90s here in Sweden there was a PC store that used to have ads with a curvy blonde girl with short skirts and deep cleavage. It got reported for "sexist advertising" ... but then it was revealed that the girl owned the store, and the dress style was not out of the ordinary for how she used to dress.
That notice resulted in more publicity for the store than any ad campaign could have done by itself ...

andrewjoy

18 Jun 2020, 14:19

Findecanor wrote:
It was a different time ...
The other day, I binged a few Bond movies with Roger Moore from the '70s and was amazed by things they could get away with back then that would bring an angry mob with torches and pitchforks today.
Its crazy the things you cannot do now. I mean you can barely wipe your arse now without being told your a sexist racist bigot transphobe for wiping your arse wrong.

But to be fair the only people that complain about " sexual advertising" are ugly fat feminists who are bitter, and clueless idiot politicians who think we all think like that!

E3E

18 Jun 2020, 14:53

Yeah, like all office workers are rocking model bodies. Ahahaha.

Fun advertising.

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Jun 2020, 15:21

Findecanor wrote:

amazed by things they could get away with back then
For those of us who lived through it, the changes are mind-boggling. I grew up in the Southern US in the 1950s, and I can remember "Colored" signs over bathrooms, etc.

Changes throughout society are astonishing and often duplicitous, as in areas of sexuality. Cher was 16 when she and Sonny had huge hit songs and got married. The age of consent is still only 16 in most states even today, although that is usually not discussed. Before 1900 it was more like 12 but that was reserved almost exclusively for older men taking young brides. Kids today are far more sexually active than in earlier generations, while the legalities "seem to be" more stringent (except that homosexuality is technically no longer criminal).

There are lots of cringeworthy lists like this:

https://historycollection.co/35-histori ... y-correct/

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Jun 2020, 18:53

andrewjoy wrote:
[…]
Its crazy the things you cannot do now. I mean you can barely wipe your arse now without being told your a sexist racist bigot transphobe for wiping your arse wrong.
On the other hand, there are plenty of things you can do today which you could not before. Like fohat, I am old enough to have experienced such weird times where, for example, a married woman was not allowed to take a job without her husband consenting. Or where two men kissing risked jail. Of course you won't know, but it's not that long ago.
But to be fair the only people that complain about " sexual advertising" are ugly fat feminists who are bitter, and clueless idiot politicians who think we all think like that!
… while of course the only people that complain about "crazy the things you cannot do now" are pimple-faced dumb-witted teenagers who simply don't know better, and…
Spoiler:
oh, well, I think that's enough of a rant :lol:

zrrion

18 Jun 2020, 21:31

andrewjoy wrote:
This sort of thing never happens to me, guess I just wipe my ass the right way, not like its hard :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Jun 2020, 22:10

I've been off the grid for a while. Are wenches, butlers and skull measuring out of fashion now? There must have been an apocalypse. Sometimes I saw specks of airplanes far away and way high up, but it has stopped.

AJM

18 Jun 2020, 22:26

kbdfr wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 18:53
… while of course the only people that complain about "crazy the things you cannot do now" are pimple-faced dumb-witted teenagers who simply don't know better, and…
Hmmm, that makes no sense to me. "Pimple-faced dumb-witted teenagers" are probably the last ones to complain about "the things you cannot do now", because - as you say - they're simply too young to "know better".

Return to “Off-topic”