Just wanted to say hello to everyone

GivenZane

05 Sep 2020, 06:55

Hello everyone!
My name is Given Zane and I'm new to this forum. I've been collecting keyboards very selectively for years and recently discovered this place. My daily driver board this week is an IBM Model M 1390120.
I'm a Student and a full-time bar tender as my job. I have many hobbies, but the primary ones are programming, photography, and tinkering with Linux. I have been daily driving Linux for about a decade now. My go to distro is Mint nowadays simply due to it's ease of use LOL I used to daily drive Gentoo, but got tired of the maintenance.
Anyway, enough ramblings, It's nice to meet everyone here!
Cheers,
Given

Edit:
I mainly made this account so that I can edit the wiki. I have a couple keyboards that aren't mentioned and wanted to add them.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Sep 2020, 07:02

Hello and welcome!

sharktastica

05 Sep 2020, 11:05

Welcome, from a fellow student, keyboard enthusiast (of course) and Linux user!

I mostly use Mint too across my army of IBM and Lenovo ThinkPads. As you said, it's simple and it just works. For older gear or for low software overhead, I usually turn to TinyCore though. Like Gentoo, you've got a lot to do before it's usably operational, but TinyCore is ridiculously lightweight!

dcopellino

05 Sep 2020, 12:26

Hello and welcome Given. It's a joy to know that this board is also attended by young people and not only by old nostalgics from IBM times gone, like me.... But maybe I'm depreciating myself too much. LOL
I'am looking forward to knowing which rare keyboards you'll publish on the wiki.
Ciao

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Sep 2020, 16:14

Welcome, always glad to see new members. I've been using Manjaro for awhile and have been loving it. Great UI and aesthetic.

Photography and programming will go very well with keyboarding :P

hellothere

05 Sep 2020, 16:54

Howdy! And big thanks for wanting to contribute to the Wiki.

While it's not my daily driver OS, I'm growing more fond of MX Linux (no Cherry puns, please). I've played with a bunch of Linux distros for at least 10 years. The only programming I do, ATM, is Javascript. I'd like to be a better photographer.

GivenZane

05 Sep 2020, 21:56

First off, I want thank everyone for the warm welcome :) It means a lot! It's been a good decade since I joined a forum and people actually responded to my "Hello Everyone" post LOL
sharktastica wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 11:05
Welcome, from a fellow student, keyboard enthusiast (of course) and Linux user!

I mostly use Mint too across my army of IBM and Lenovo ThinkPads. As you said, it's simple and it just works. For older gear or for low software overhead, I usually turn to TinyCore though. Like Gentoo, you've got a lot to do before it's usably operational, but TinyCore is ridiculously lightweight!
Hi Sharktastica. TinyCore is a great distro and I've used it some in the past on some Pentium 2 and 3 laptops I have and it's great in that roll. For me, I have plenty of overhead on my systems so I can afford to run a heavier system if I want to, and that's why I choose Mint LOL
Have you ever tried Slitaz Linux? It's a little heavier then TinyCore, but is a little more feature rich. That being said, I have also had trouble with the drivers and some of my hardware.
dcopellino wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 12:26
Hello and welcome Given. It's a joy to know that this board is also attended by young people and not only by old nostalgics from IBM times gone, like me.... But maybe I'm depreciating myself too much. LOL
I'am looking forward to knowing which rare keyboards you'll publish on the wiki.
Ciao
Unfortunately I don't have anything Absurdly rare, just mostly undocumented variants of more common keyboards. The one I'll be working documenting first will be my Magitronic (Dah Yang) K-156. The only interesting thing about that is that it's Identical to the Unitexl K-156 but with Vintage MX Blues. It's an Easy one to document so I'm starting with that.
Sadly I live in a fairly small town by American standards and the recyclers here don't get a huge amount of vintage keyboards, but on the plus side they set them aside for me and I pay about 10US for each of them. That's how I got my Model F and several Model M's.

Redmaus wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 16:14
Welcome, always glad to see new members. I've been using Manjaro for awhile and have been loving it. Great UI and aesthetic.

Photography and programming will go very well with keyboarding :P
Honestly I've never used Manjaro and it's on my list of distros to test xD I just have to get my test bench up and going. I have all the components, just need to find a case I like and that's the hard part -_-
I actually mainly practice Large Format film photography, so unfortunately I don't get to use a keyboard with it really -_-

hellothere wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 16:54
Howdy! And big thanks for wanting to contribute to the Wiki.

While it's not my daily driver OS, I'm growing more fond of MX Linux (no Cherry puns, please). I've played with a bunch of Linux distros for at least 10 years. The only programming I do, ATM, is Javascript. I'd like to be a better photographer.
I can't say I know to much about MX Linux. I want to say that's a Debian based distro, but I'm not sure? I'll definitely have to look into it :) Honestly while I love Mint, I have been using it for years and I wouldn't mind a change. While it has become a lot more stable over the last half dozen releases (Long gone are the random crashes of Cinnamon) that has also taken some of the fun out of it. I like tinkering and fixing crashed systems is quite a bit of fun LOL

Thanks for all the responses everyone and I look forward to getting to know all of you and enjoying great conversation!
Cheers,
--Given

gianni

05 Sep 2020, 22:09

Thanks for your contributions and for your inspiration. I've been thinking of creating a section about converters for model Fs. Maybe it already exists, I'll take a look :-D

GivenZane

05 Sep 2020, 22:14

gianni wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 22:09
Thanks for your contributions and for your inspiration. I've been thinking of creating a section about converters for model Fs. Maybe it already exists, I'll take a look :-D
That actually would be great. I haven't seen anything to in-depth in the wiki, but I could be overlooking it. I'm still trying to decide between building my own converter or just buying for my F, and something like that might help me make my mind up!
Cheers,
--Given

sharktastica

05 Sep 2020, 22:42

GivenZane wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 21:56
Hi Sharktastica. TinyCore is a great distro and I've used it some in the past on some Pentium 2 and 3 laptops I have and it's great in that roll. For me, I have plenty of overhead on my systems so I can afford to run a heavier system if I want to, and that's why I choose Mint LOL
Have you ever tried Slitaz Linux? It's a little heavier then TinyCore, but is a little more feature rich. That being said, I have also had trouble with the drivers and some of my hardware.
I have not tried Slitaz. I'll give it a look when I have a second, cheers!

vometia
irritant

07 Sep 2020, 15:13

Another Mint user here, and also formerly Gentoo. I like Mint because I've done Unix sysadmin since the late '80s and cba any more. :D Besides, I have a FreeBSD box that needs some care and feeding.

GivenZane

08 Sep 2020, 06:43

vometia wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 15:13
Another Mint user here, and also formerly Gentoo. I like Mint because I've done Unix sysadmin since the late '80s and cba any more. :D Besides, I have a FreeBSD box that needs some care and feeding.
It's always great to meet another Linux user; a Mint user even more so! I feel you about cba LOL Linux has come so far in the last couple decades that compiling your own kernel isn't really needed any more for most day to day tasks.
I won't lie, I haven't played with FreeBSD much. I found Linux and I kept with it. The last version of Windows I daily drove was XP. LOL

Cheers and it's great to meet you!
--Given

Return to “Off-topic”