how fast do you type?

M9HM

10 Sep 2020, 13:40

Hi guys.

I am curious about the typing speed of the keyboard aficionado community. I read somewhere that the average typing speed is 42WPM, but I guess that, being enthusiasts, we probably have a higher average.

Here is mine, I am not fast, but it can start a conversation!
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 19.01.06.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 19.01.06.jpeg (23.45 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

gianni

10 Sep 2020, 15:33

In this case we need a standardized test (which website?) and the same text for all (except people who speak another first language obviously :-))

M9HM

10 Sep 2020, 16:13

gianni wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 15:33
In this case we need a standardized test (which website?) and the same text for all (except people who speak another first language obviously :-))
This is exactly how they ended up with the Olympics! XD

I use 10fastfingers, but the text is ramdonized based on the 200 most usual words of each of the optional languages, which I think is not a bad method, but, of course, its not the same text for everyone.
You can have a custom test, but the process of creating it is kinda messy and requires you to login into the website.
Regarding languages, its more important than I thought at first, I speak three languages, two of them at native level and still find myself typing way faster in Spanish, which is the one that I use the most.

Coeus

11 Sep 2020, 18:46

Another thing in comparing like with like: I have discovered I am faster typing a line of text during which I can read ahead and slower when presented with random words as part of a game. I suspect there will also be a difference between proper sentences and lines of random words.

M9HM

11 Sep 2020, 19:06

I have felt the same, because, with a complete string of text, my eyes and my brain are processing the next few words while my hands are typing the current one, so I guess the muscle memory is engage when I get to the next one.

Too bad I abandoned the neuroscience field to go into oceanography, this could be a great research topic XD

xxhellfirexx

11 Sep 2020, 20:51

There should also be a typing test for sentences containing words we are not familiar with (scientific names/technical terms). Typing words I do not know tends to require more concentration, thus lowering my typing speed.

User avatar
Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

11 Sep 2020, 23:56

Fastest I got was 80 WPM on 10fastfingers

User avatar
Yasu0

15 Sep 2020, 03:01

My 9 year old hit over 100 last week.. on a chrome book no less. I dare not test myself now, never will hear the end of it.

M9HM

15 Sep 2020, 09:04

Yasu0 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 03:01
My 9 year old hit over 100 last week.. on a chrome book no less. I dare not test myself now, never will hear the end of it.
Your kid rocks. Give him/her a model f and will become the chosen one!

User avatar
Yasu0

15 Sep 2020, 17:46

She does nitrotype, but I'd be lucky to hit 75 on those keys.

No she is not getting my F.
Attachments
102.jpg
102.jpg (29.2 KiB) Viewed 1825 times

M9HM

15 Sep 2020, 18:28

Yasu0 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:46
She does nitrotype, but I'd be lucky to hit 75 on those keys.

No she is not getting my F.
I havent tried that one, I will though!

Teach them young! :D

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Sep 2020, 18:32

Typing speed is completely irrelevant as long as it is measured during a short period of e.g.a few minutes.
And "words per minute" is a ridiculous metric, as English words tend to be signifcantly shorter than French or German words, thus giving English speakers a built-in advantage.

What would be interesting is an indication of (plain text) pages per hour, a "page" being simply 1800 keystrokes (30 lines of 60 keystrokes each).

User avatar
Yasu0

15 Sep 2020, 18:39

I agree, its true many online tests use ridiculously short and easy word libraries. But its still fun to BS bench race them... Kind of like how time attack or autocross is still fun versus the real circuit races. I enjoy them all.

M9HM

15 Sep 2020, 18:48

kbdfr wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 18:32
Typing speed is completely irrelevant as long as it is measured during a short period of e.g.a few minutes.
And "words per minute" is a ridiculous metric, as English words tend to be signifcantly shorter than French or German words, thus giving English speakers a built-in advantage.

What would be interesting is an indication of (plain text) pages per hour, a "page" being simply 1800 keystrokes (30 lines of 60 keystrokes each).
Actually, I used to think the same about WPM, being a terrible metric, but then, I read that a W (word) is 5 strokes, independently of how many characters you actually type, lets say for example that I type: avión (plane in Spanish) I am using one extra stroke to put the apostrophe. So, WPM is actually groups of 5 strokes per minute.

Since the length or duration of words is clearly variable, for the purpose of measurement of text entry, the definition of each "word" is often standardized to be five characters or keystrokes long in English,[1] including spaces and punctuation. For example, under such a method applied to plain English text the phrase "I run" counts as one word, but "rhinoceros" and "let's talk" would both count as two.
WIKIPEDIA

Still, you are totally right about the irrelevancy of typing speed if it does not correlate with productivity, but I take it as a game, more for dexterity than actual productivity.

User avatar
depletedvespene

17 Sep 2020, 23:47

M9HM wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 16:13
gianni wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 15:33
In this case we need a standardized test (which website?) and the same text for all (except people who speak another first language obviously :-))
This is exactly how they ended up with the Olympics! XD

I use 10fastfingers, but the text is ramdonized based on the 200 most usual words of each of the optional languages, which I think is not a bad method, but, of course, its not the same text for everyone.
You can have a custom test, but the process of creating it is kinda messy and requires you to login into the website.
Regarding languages, its more important than I thought at first, I speak three languages, two of them at native level and still find myself typing way faster in Spanish, which is the one that I use the most.
Same here. I've tried plenty of online tests, with wildly varying results, but always with a clear difference of 10-12 wpm more in Spanish as compared to English.


As per "wildly varying results", I've noticed I always get higher scores whenever the test uses full sentences or even paragraphs from books, as opposed to (simple or complex) lists of words without connection to each other. I would guess that, at least for me, muscular memory and uh... forward commands... apply not only to keystrokes but also to full words and common phrases.

User avatar
depletedvespene

17 Sep 2020, 23:48

Yasu0 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:46
She does nitrotype, but I'd be lucky to hit 75 on those keys.

No she is not getting my F.
Of course not. She should get her own.

User avatar
depletedvespene

17 Sep 2020, 23:51

kbdfr wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 18:32
Typing speed is completely irrelevant as long as it is measured during a short period of e.g.a few minutes.
And "words per minute" is a ridiculous metric, as English words tend to be signifcantly shorter than French or German words, thus giving English speakers a built-in advantage.

What would be interesting is an indication of (plain text) pages per hour, a "page" being simply 1800 keystrokes (30 lines of 60 keystrokes each).
That, or use "publisher's words" — publishing companies count words as six-character strings (spaces included), independently of the actual length of each word in a draft.

M9HM

18 Sep 2020, 09:37

depletedvespene wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 23:48
Yasu0 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:46
She does nitrotype, but I'd be lucky to hit 75 on those keys.

No she is not getting my F.
Of course not. She should get her own.
-here is your birthday present
-daddy, why do you give me an old keyboard?
-its not just a keyboard, it is the summit of all keyboards, the tip of the iceberg, the best typing experience, feeling and sound, the legend...
-Daddy, I wanted a Nintendo Switch

XDDD

User avatar
depletedvespene

18 Sep 2020, 13:30

M9HM wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 09:37
depletedvespene wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 23:48
Yasu0 wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 17:46
She does nitrotype, but I'd be lucky to hit 75 on those keys.

No she is not getting my F.
Of course not. She should get her own.
-here is your birthday present
-daddy, why do you give me an old keyboard?
-its not just a keyboard, it is the summit of all keyboards, the tip of the iceberg, the best typing experience, feeling and sound, the legend...
-Daddy, I wanted a Nintendo Switch

XDDD
That is why you first give the kid a gimmicky RGB keyboard, and after he or she realizes it's just a gimmick, and starts asking for a real keyboard, you then present the kid with a Model F.

(experience talking here ;) )

User avatar
Yasu0

22 Sep 2020, 00:36


M9HM

22 Sep 2020, 00:49

Yasu0 wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 00:36
https://youtu.be/gaU3yBin8lI
This is so cute! :D

User avatar
Yasu0

22 Sep 2020, 00:49

She told me "its crushing my legs."

Iwaju

22 Sep 2020, 21:40

I am usually around 30-70 WPM

User avatar
Yasu0

24 Sep 2020, 00:03

Normal sustained typing I can do around 50.

If I have enough coffee. If I'm on a split. I think I could beat the OP on 10fastfingers.

User avatar
Yasu0

24 Sep 2020, 00:11

Yep. *flex*
Attachments
94 9.jpg
94 9.jpg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

M9HM

24 Sep 2020, 00:26

Cool! We are starting to see some competition!

User avatar
vometia
irritant

28 Sep 2020, 09:59

I type fairly quickly.
Unless I subtract the number of deletions I do.
And then going back and deleting a whole word because I missed something.
And then proofreading it again.
And editing it again.
And submitting it and proofreading it again.
And only then spotting that I messed up the grammar during at least one of the edits so it needs re-editing.
Or if it's Twitter, deleting and resubmitting, or ranting that there's no edit button.

So if we're talking net speed, I type quite slowly.

M9HM

28 Sep 2020, 15:01

I guess you could say you type fast but write slow, right?
I try to never read the document I am writing at the moment, because it mess with my train of thought, so when I come to a full stop, I read and edit.

User avatar
vometia
irritant

29 Sep 2020, 01:25

Yeah, pretty much! I was going to just stick with the number of times I need to use backspace* but got a bit carried away.

* this is why I got into such a panic when I re-capped my Vortex and yanked out one of the stems: it was the backspace key, the most essential one of all! D:

cakeanalytics

05 Oct 2020, 21:09

I can hit 90 at peak times, but ~50 for sustained typing.
Wondering if switching to another layout would help. A few members were discussing Seelpy layout in another thread; maybe worth a shot.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24536

Post Reply

Return to “Off-topic”