Ergonomics and desk setups?

robo

09 Oct 2020, 19:31

Anyone here have thoughts or recommendations for ergonomic chair/desk/keyboard setups? Since starting to work from home full time in the spring, i've been using an uncomforable setup where my desk is too high, compounded by the fact that my main keyboard is a Model M, so it has some height to it as well.
I now have a budget from work to outfit my home office, so I'm looking at adjustable desks, but am wondering if using a keyboard tray is a better idea, letting the desk surface be higher for (occasional) writing, etc.

Anyone have good setups they like? I feel like being a buckling spring user has some extra considerations given that the keyboards are bulkier than 'modern' ones, and I have a Model F Labs F77 on order, which weighs close to 9 lbs, double the capacity of many modern keyboard trays!

Any chair recs are welcome as well.

Yasu0

09 Oct 2020, 23:28

Front to back drop is what I miss most from ergo boards. 80's boards rise from front to back. If you are coming from modern boards without that rise, that may be what makes the M feel tall.

zuglufttier

15 Oct 2020, 09:32

For me the biggest difference is an adjustable desk so that you can stand up and work that way for an hour or two, then you change back and repeat that through the day. No need for a really fancy chair if you're only sitting there for an hour ;) Get up every now and then and you'll be fine.

M9HM

15 Oct 2020, 10:53

I have a chair I got from my grand uncle (I heard he paid a lot of money for it when new) and its the classic "executive" leather chair but green (I know), its cool, but I recently tried the SecretLabs Titan gaming chair that one of my friends has.

I usually hate gaming chairs because they are kinda easy to hate, but the high back-rest is really nice.It is the first time I find a chair where my head has support, I see that as a big difference.

I am 2m tall and weight 135kg, so chairs are not designed for my frame and to feel what it is like to rest my whole spine, neck included, made me think that THAT is what I have to look for on a chair.

Regarding the keyboard, I use an M too, but I am not too picky about ergonomics and it doesnt bother me at all, I am happy with it.

Yasu0

15 Oct 2020, 17:53

If it really is the desk height that is too tall, grab a hacksaw and chop them legs. I have done it. does it have metal or wood legs? Not a fan of trays. Have also used risers to good effect.

Have you seen 'Silverado' where the bar tender says "The world is what you make of it friend, if it doesn't fit you make alterations." I like that scene.

M9HM

16 Oct 2020, 08:58

Yasu0 wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 17:53
If it really is the desk height that is too tall, grab a hacksaw and chop them legs. I have done it. does it have metal or wood legs? Not a fan of trays. Have also used risers to good effect.

Have you seen 'Silverado' where the bar tender says "The world is what you make of it friend, if it doesn't fit you make alterations." I like that scene.
Havent seen the movie, but I like the quote. :D

Yasu0

16 Oct 2020, 18:00

Kasdan 80's western. Combining two of my loves.. things made in the 80's and Westerns. Seriously though, I've hacksawed legs before and its a valid method once you get over the "fear of destruction" FOD of the desk. Takes like 10 minutes.

Also, risers are a thing you can buy for like $10 or $20 a set, or better yet get 4 non-riser things out of your shed and use as risers. Chunks of metal or wood or whatever. If you ever need to reverse your lowering you can adjust to suit.

I guess it sounds kind of stupid to bring cutting legs up, but I've overlooked cutting/risers in the past because of FOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1cQ7qIdw0w

Return to “Off-topic”