Headphones

lhutton

24 Nov 2020, 05:42

I think I've developed a headphone, erm, problem? I've had the same pair of Sony MDR-V6's for ~15 years and over the last little bit I've been adding to the stash. Tried some relatively OK Cowin E7 Pro BTs I bought on sale online late last year. Still not sold on BT audio, plus having to charge the darn things is annoying. Since I've been WFH for a while now I've been trying more open and semi-open models and finding I really enjoy the sound stage. Here's a quick photo of most of the stash:

_DSF0208.jpg
_DSF0208.jpg (129.7 KiB) Viewed 939 times
I picked up the Samson SR280s and the Philips X2HRs this year. Those Samson's came at a few folk's recommendation and I've to say for ~$45 USD they ain't bad. Also, those X2HRs are so detailed if you can find a pair for a decent price. The Sony's are currently out of commission due to a frayed wire in the headband. I've got a replacement band with the wires from Sony I have to install.

Also, Koss PortaPros are as good as they say. If we ever go back to an office (I hope not, WFH is awesome) I'm ditching earbuds and IEMs for these things full time. My ears have never been happy about the in ear solutions, especially the hard plastic variety Apple tends to ship. I can't wear them for long and they just get gross after a while.

_LGH6612.jpg
_LGH6612.jpg (164.25 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Next will probably be down the Grado rabbit hole and eventually a pair of HD600s

I figure this sort of stuff probably goes hand in hand with the keyboard repair/collecting thing we do here. :P Anyone else?

shine

24 Nov 2020, 13:06

haha!

i share a couple of my babies. HD800 (superdupont modded) and JH audio custom iems.
Attachments
IMG_3901.jpg
IMG_3901.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 897 times
IMG_3900.jpg
IMG_3900.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 897 times

Findecanor

24 Nov 2020, 13:14

lhutton wrote:
I've had the same pair of Sony MDR-V6's for ~15 years [...]
The Sony's are currently out of commission due to a frayed wire in the headband. I've got a replacement band with the wires from Sony I have to install.
They lasted for 15 years, and the only problem is a frayed wire? :shock:
I've known that they have classic audio quality and comfort, but not that they would be that durable. I've got to get myself a pair.

My headphones tend to break at the hinge. My Audio Technica M40x lasted two years of heavy use before a hinge broke.
My next Shure SRH840 lasted two years before they broke at a hinge - but this could be glued together and I then reinforced both hinges with fibreglass to make them last longer.

lhutton

24 Nov 2020, 18:04

Findecanor wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 13:14
lhutton wrote:
I've had the same pair of Sony MDR-V6's for ~15 years [...]
The Sony's are currently out of commission due to a frayed wire in the headband. I've got a replacement band with the wires from Sony I have to install.
They lasted for 15 years, and the only problem is a frayed wire? :shock:
I've known that they have classic audio quality and comfort, but not that they would be that durable. I've got to get myself a pair.

My headphones tend to break at the hinge. My Audio Technica M40x lasted two years of heavy use before a hinge broke.
My next Shure SRH840 lasted two years before they broke at a hinge - but this could be glued together and I then reinforced both hinges with fibreglass to make them last longer.
Haha yeah, they last a long time. A good chunk of that 15 years they were my field use headphones and lived in my bag with the rest of my gear too. The stock ear pads tend to fall apart after ~18 months of near daily use but the MDR V6/7506 are so ubiquitous that you've got many options for replacements. The Brainwavz pads (the teal ones on it in the photo) seem to last longer and are far more comfortable than the stock. But any ear pad on an over the ear headphone is going to be a consumable part as it's in direct contact with your skin, hair and the grime/dirt associated with that.

But they are great, I don't think you can go wrong with a pair. Their durability and reapirability is a big selling point for me. Closed backs aren't great for a wide sound and they can get hot if you wear them a while but that's been about the extent of my complaints.

lhutton

24 Nov 2020, 18:07

shine wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 13:06
haha!

i share a couple of my babies. HD800 (superdupont modded) and JH audio custom iems.
I keep trying IEMs but my ears just don't do well with in ear stuff. Sound is good just the comfort and gunk build up factor that's the problem.

lhutton

04 Dec 2020, 20:38

Made a video on repairing my Sony MDR-V6 headphones. If I get another 10-15 out of this headband I'll be happy:

Weezer

07 Dec 2020, 19:35

I use a pair of AKG K240 600 ohm headphones. They have better mids than my Sennheiser hd600.
Last edited by Weezer on 25 Jan 2021, 08:59, edited 2 times in total.

huniqoru

18 Dec 2020, 05:21

already bought a present for my wife for christmas
sony wh-1000xm4
chose between them and the Bose Noise Canceling 700

ZedTheMan

18 Dec 2020, 16:09

Grado SR80's are neat for what they are, and nowadays I use my Meze 99 Neos when I'm not working (Have some AudioTechnica MH50x for that). Very comfortable cans, those. I was originally gonna get the classic but the Neos were much cheaper and I do like it a little punchy.

Return to “Off-topic”