Future of social media

jsheradin

11 Jun 2023, 02:33

So with all the drama on Reddit at the moment, it looks like there's a push toward federated communities. I'm still wrapping my head around the nuances but I've been poking around some lemmy instances, namely kbin.social. Seems like federated communities have some potential and could keep control and ownership of content within the community.

I'm curious what others think. Will it will take off? Could the fediverse be a future home for a DT-esque community? Is everyone just doomed to retreat into Discord servers and Telegram chats?

pyrelink

11 Jun 2023, 05:08

Content discovery and following across multiple instances is a big problem with federated communities, and is why Lemmy being a replacement for Reddit (your one stop shop to surface level discussion on infinite topics) is going to be a tough sell.

You could definitely build a keyboard discussion forum like Deskthority on top of a federated protocol, but the same problem that this site is currently running into, without money to fund upkeep, and involved management and moderators to keep the gears turning smoothly, things will fall apart.

I am all for any form of deep community based asynchronous communication with open source and user ownership so sure I would love to see different federated communities take off, but I unfortunately remain pessimistic.

Muirium
µ

13 Jun 2023, 09:54

When I saw this thread's title in the Spy, I thought 'our loyal SEO grinder is now doing SEO for SEO?', but then I saw you guys. :D

Right enough, corporate overlord ownership and their inevitable abuse of communities is coming to a head right now. Reddit saw Twitter's skyrocketing success and chose to have a go.

Pyrelink's right though: the 'fediverse' (which runs parallel to the 'information superhighway'…) is a great place for tumbleweed, not traffic. To go full circle, back to SEO: is its content even indexed by search engines? Is every visitor tasked with going on a spirit journey to find the right elders, subscribe to the right instances, take the right herbs, and open the inner doors of their cyber mind? Is there a place you or anyone can just type 'keyboard space invaders' and rediscover your lost inosenz?

Anyway, we are but a simple phpBB forum here. When our overlord remembers they own us and decide to make a move, it's game over or community ownership of a very old fashioned and comprehendible object.

Return to “Off-topic”