Who cycles?

bhtooefr

17 Apr 2015, 13:25

Well, that's where recumbents can come in, but they haven't taken off because they're not used in the popular races, thanks to the UCI banning them. (And then there's velomobiles if speed is really, REALLY important, but cost becomes an issue there. And at that point you'll probably get the police pulling you over for driving an unlicensed motor vehicle, even if you don't have a motor, even if assist motors are legal for bicycles in that city/state, because they won't know what the hell it actually is.)

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Apr 2015, 13:26

webwit wrote: My back hurts by only looking at those bikes.
Well, some would say my fingers hurt at looking to this old and clunky IBM keyboards!

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Apr 2015, 13:35

I'm just going to repost this.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

22 Apr 2015, 20:46

I live in the wrong country.

derzemel

03 Jun 2015, 14:32

meeeee tooo, me too, me too... I cycle too :D

Actually, cycling is my biggest passion, followed by mountaineering/rock climbing and finally keyboards (I know, blasphemy, keyboards should be first :mrgreen: )

Here is The Princess:

And obligatory selfie:

The bike is a 2011 Trek Ticket 20
I ride it to work as often as I can and because It's a short bike, riding through the Bucharest chaos is not that bad.
I changed most of the parts on it, except the frame, seatpost, saddle, handlebars, headset and stem.
I worked on the bike myself except the bottom bracket and crankset (because I do not have the necessary tools for those).
It was a huge learning experience and a lot of fun and copious amounts of pain... especially building the wheels in the kitchen with the help of youtube "idiot proof how to" videos.
I have become very attached to The Princess and I do not think I'll sell it too soon. Probably I may pass it over to my girlfriend (so I can still have it in the same house with me :P)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 Jun 2015, 15:10

nice Trek derzemel. Cool. Yeah I try to fix everything I can on my bikes myself. Just changed the sprocket cluster on my Cannondale Warrior.

Madhias
BS TORPE

03 Jun 2015, 16:22

This happened yesterday when driving to work - I already contacted the producer of this hub and wheelset and I will get a repaired one back:

seebart

03 Jun 2015, 16:27

It snapped off by itself while you were riding? :O

andrewjoy

03 Jun 2015, 16:34

Last edited by andrewjoy on 03 Jun 2015, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

chzel

03 Jun 2015, 16:34

Too few spokes for a commuter, unless you commute on perfect roads!
Glad you didn't fall!

chzel

03 Jun 2015, 16:35

mr_a500

03 Jun 2015, 16:36

I haven't cycled in years. Canada, like the US, is fairly bike-hostile. You have to go as fast as possible so you don't hold up traffic and cars constantly pull out or turn without looking for cyclists. You risk death or injury every time you ride. Not only that, but police sometimes like to harass cyclists, giving tickets to cyclists not wearing helmets or not having lights and doing random "safety checks".

I've also had quite a few crashes that put me off cycling - and I've got the scars to show it. I'm not a fan of "road rash".

I refuse to wear a helmet. I've probably crashed at least 100 times in my life and never once did I land on my head.
Last edited by mr_a500 on 03 Jun 2015, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

03 Jun 2015, 16:36

how did you do that ! witchcraft !

Madhias
BS TORPE

03 Jun 2015, 16:38

This is a hub which is used on cyclo-crossers, so it is not only a roadbike hub - the company told me that there were material problems in the past with a patch, so that could be the reason. Of course radial spokes are not that good, but it should not brake like that. I could even drive the remaining 1km. Slowly, very slowly.

Khers

03 Jun 2015, 17:03

So tune are going for too much lightness with the distinct disadvantage of even their cross-stuff breaking? That's not very encouraging...

seebart

03 Jun 2015, 17:12

Khers wrote:So tune are going for too much lightness with the distinct disadvantage of even their cross-stuff breaking? That's not very encouraging...
Especially not in that price segment. I never had any problems with my shimanos.

andrewjoy

03 Jun 2015, 17:15

my bike just has wheels , i don't know what make they are but they have never broken , even with my thunderous bulk on them. they look thinner than the ones you have with more spokes but with massive fat tires

derzemel

03 Jun 2015, 17:24

andrewjoy wrote: ... but with massive fat tires
you mean a fat bike?

Khers

03 Jun 2015, 17:27

seebart wrote:
Khers wrote:So tune are going for too much lightness with the distinct disadvantage of even their cross-stuff breaking? That's not very encouraging...
Especially not in that price segment. I never had any problems with my shimanos.
But they are heavy!

I'm running some Shimano hubs as well and have never had issues with those, but the DT 240s on my wife's bike are more solid!

andrewjoy

03 Jun 2015, 17:32

derzemel wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: ... but with massive fat tires
you mean a fat bike?

not quite that bad :P

seebart

03 Jun 2015, 17:33

Of course they're heavier. And cheaper. Not the way it is with those old keyboards we like. :D

derzemel

03 Jun 2015, 17:42

Khers wrote: ... the DT 240s on my wife's bike are more solid!
If you wife does not do XC/AM races and with regular servicing those things will last a lifetime. Probably your grandchildren will inherit them.

derzemel

03 Jun 2015, 17:50

mr_a500 wrote: I've probably crashed at least 100 times in my life and never once did I land on my head.
yeah, I used to think as you do, but a few days ago I lost front wheel traction on a rock which had sand on it and I managed to do some skidding on my right shoulder and the right side of my face. Luckily the skidding part was on grass and some leaves (and maybe some other shit I do not what to know about) and I was largely unharmed, physically.

I am now planning to move some funds from the keyboards budget to get a Bell Super 2R helmet(which has a detachable mouth guard)

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 17:52

Fancy. Do they do them super duper OMG who is this guy big? I always have a hell of a time buying helmets. My current one's a 64 cm XXL Specialized I picked up in America. Never did find one broad enough for me over here.

chzel

03 Jun 2015, 17:57

64cm??? Do you have Jupiter for a head?
MIne is 56cm...

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 17:59

Big dude. What else to say?

Khers

03 Jun 2015, 18:03

derzemel wrote:
Khers wrote: ... the DT 240s on my wife's bike are more solid!
If you wife does not do XC/AM races and with regular servicing those things will last a lifetime. Probably your grandchildren will inherit them.
I sure hope they will! She has them on her steel 1x10-commuter. Rather bullet proof and she needs it!

mr_a500

03 Jun 2015, 18:03

derzemel wrote:
mr_a500 wrote: I've probably crashed at least 100 times in my life and never once did I land on my head.
yeah, I used to think as you do, but a few days ago I lost front wheel traction on a rock which had sand on it and I managed to do some skidding on my right shoulder and the right side of my face. Luckily the skidding part was on grass and some leaves (and maybe some other shit I do not what to know about) and I was largely unharmed, physically.
I've landed on my face once, but a helmet wouldn't have helped (unless it was one with a fancy face guard). It was a sudden flip, smacking my face right onto the pavement. (lousy unbalanced bike!)

I ended up looking remarkably similar to this (...minus the bullet holes):

mr_a500

03 Jun 2015, 18:08

Muirium wrote: Big dude. What else to say?
How tall are you? ...just wondering, in case we get into a fight over Cindy's beam spring haul and I need to kick your ass.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jun 2015, 18:10

Don't have a chance. I've been faking DNS and PM notification errors just to make sure I'll always be first.

Return to “Off-topic”