Who cycles?

chzel

06 Jun 2015, 20:06

I think the rear wheels are PVC!
Those trikes seem quite fun to ride...too crazy, but fun.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Jun 2015, 20:09

Hmm... trikes... yikes! :D I'll stick with my MTB.

derzemel

23 Jun 2015, 21:01

new family member for the girlfriend (the turquoise one) :D

Madhias
BS TORPE

13 Mar 2016, 21:54

Today I rode my new built bike, yay. It was not a long tour, but long enough for being tired now.

It had a nice feature, a cut beer can, but I removed it, because someone said 'it is soo stupid'...

seebart

13 Mar 2016, 22:06

:o :shock: Oh WOW nice Madhias.
Madhias wrote: It had a nice feature, a cut beer can, but I removed it, because someone said 'it is soo stupid'...
Whoever said that was right. ;)

chzel

13 Mar 2016, 22:14

Nice! An ALAN! They know their aluminium alright!
BTW, the beer can might look stupid, but it was probably used as a shim for a too small seatpost...
God, I need to lose the extra weight and get back to cycling...

seebart

13 Mar 2016, 22:31

I will be getting back to my regular tours as soon it get's warmer out.

Madhias
BS TORPE

13 Mar 2016, 22:51

chzel wrote: Nice! An ALAN! They know their aluminium alright!
BTW, the beer can might look stupid, but it was probably used as a shim for a too small seatpost...
God, I need to lose the extra weight and get back to cycling...
Oh, you know ALAN? Yes, the seatpost was too small, now the beer can is hidden in the stem. Sometimes I need to get a proper fitting one. But for now it is OK, it is not that much too small!

chzel

13 Mar 2016, 23:15

Yeah, there was a Greek cyclist in the late 90's using ALAN bikes. He was really good, and in the National Team, but was killed in a traffic accident at a young age.
This was his bike, hanging in his fathers bike shop..Kind of a tragic story really...

Madhias
BS TORPE

13 Mar 2016, 23:18

Interesting and sad story! There old aluminium frames were really great! I got the frame custom made from them directly, and talking with the owner himself. Great service and communication, and not *that* expensive like others from Italy.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Mar 2016, 00:00

I jog does that count? :P

seebart

14 Mar 2016, 00:11

Redmaus wrote: I jog does that count? :P
Not for this thread Redmaus, but it's cool I jog too. :) I usually feel better afterwards. Cycling is more fun though.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

14 Mar 2016, 00:19

Madhias wrote: Today I rode my new built bike, yay. It was not a long tour, but long enough for being tired now.
Wow, what a nice bike Madhias! How many kidneys? :mrgreen:

I really need to fix my Bianchi and go take some pictures of it.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Mar 2016, 00:24

seebart wrote:
Redmaus wrote: I jog does that count? :P
Not for this thread Redmaus, but it's cool I jog too. :) I usually feel better afterwards. Cycling is more fun though.
I am always exhausted personally :lol:

Chyros

14 Mar 2016, 01:05

Unsurprisingly, I cycle everywhere. Also because I absolutely hate public transport.

Chyros

14 Mar 2016, 18:52

By the way why haven't they invented city bikes in the UK yet? Oo This is a major flaw.

seebart

14 Mar 2016, 19:12

You do that then Chyros. :D

Chyros

14 Mar 2016, 22:13

seebart wrote: You do that then Chyros. :D
I would, but virtually no-one cycles here. There aren't even any cycle lanes. Drivers, especially bus and van drivers, don't appear to even know cyclists exist Oo .

seebart

14 Mar 2016, 22:22

Please be extra careful then, as a cyclist I know how dangerous that situation is. Seriously. We have city bikes here which are a huge success so far.
stadtrad_4.jpg
stadtrad_4.jpg (267.43 KiB) Viewed 6271 times

Chyros

14 Mar 2016, 22:51

It should be okay, I was practically born in the saddle :lol: .

Also, that's not a real city bike either ;) .

seebart

14 Mar 2016, 23:05

Chyros wrote: Also, that's not a real city bike either ;) .
Really, what is it then you tell me? :? Or do you mean the type of bicycle? I'm talking about the concept of bike sharing or should I say bike renting.

What do you call this then? Teletubbies?

https://www.citybikeliverpool.co.uk

Chyros

14 Mar 2016, 23:49

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote: Also, that's not a real city bike either ;) .
Really, what is it then you tell me? :? Or do you mean the type of bicycle? I'm talking about the concept of bike sharing or should I say bike renting.

What do you call this then? Teletubbies?

https://www.citybikeliverpool.co.uk
It's a type of bike. Those are not city bikes either. This is an example of an archetypal city bike:

Note the high, curved handlebars; you can grip these while sitting fully upright, and they're high up and far out enough that you can hang several large bags of shopping/groceries on them without them getting into the wheels. Flat baggage carrier on the back for carrying bags, boxes, crates, or another person. Full mudguards around as well as to the side of the wheels so your clothes don't get ruined on rainy days, and a fully enclosed chain guard so as to minimise rust damage when left out in the rain. On the other side it should have a bike stand as well for convenient parking even when a loop or other designated parking space is not available. Perfect for life in a city, better than a car.

seebart

14 Mar 2016, 23:58

Aha see I knew you meant the type, we call those "Hollandrad" here. I think they originate from the Netherlands, very classy and practical bike, not my style though. Here is my ride:

http://www.active-s.com/cannondale-road-warrior-500/

Chyros

15 Mar 2016, 00:57

seebart wrote: Aha see I knew you meant the type, we call those "Hollandrad" here. I think they originate from the Netherlands, very classy and practical bike, not my style though. Here is my ride:

http://www.active-s.com/cannondale-road-warrior-500/
They might very well have. that model especially has no gears which is really only usable in a country with no hills or mountains xD .

Your bike would be very unpractical to me. My back would hurt in minutes, you can't carry goods or people on it, and it looks expensive, so it would get nicked within minutes. Looks pretty fast though :D .

I don't have an exact picture of what my current ride is but it looks a bit like this:

I've got a few more back home but I can't even remember what they look like now xD .

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 Mar 2016, 01:16

Chyros wrote:
that model especially has no gears which is really only usable in a country with no hills or mountains
My first bike had no gears. Hard to imagine a place with no hills, I have lived most of my life near the Appalachian Mountains. Even the Atlanta, Georgia area, although theoretically "the flatlands" is really quite hilly.

Chyros

15 Mar 2016, 02:34

fohat wrote:
Chyros wrote:
that model especially has no gears which is really only usable in a country with no hills or mountains
My first bike had no gears. Hard to imagine a place with no hills, I have lived most of my life near the Appalachian Mountains. Even the Atlanta, Georgia area, although theoretically "the flatlands" is really quite hilly.
I live on the coast and I consider it to be mountainous :lol: .

We had a Mexican guy from Mexico City join our group back home years ago. When he first came here he had altitude sickness for a week or so - but not from being too high up, but from being too low down xD (-7 metres below sea level).

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

25 Jun 2016, 20:49

Just came back from a small ride in Paris streets, after three months without using my bike because I didn't have the time to repair it... What a relief!

seebart

25 Jun 2016, 21:55

Nice! Oh man reminds me I don't ride enough. And I don't even know why. This is from my last tour:
IMG_20160516_175706.jpg
IMG_20160516_175706.jpg (974.48 KiB) Viewed 6161 times

derzemel

05 Jul 2016, 12:13

this is the type of race that makes me feel physically drained just from watching the video:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

08 Jul 2017, 23:43

This thread needs more love!

Since my Bianchi failed me again, I really felt the need to buy another bike so that I can rotate... :D

And that's how I just received that little beauty:

For my Bianchi, anyone knows if it's possible to buy somewhere a good pair of NIB old school 700 wheels that are light, accepts a 5 speeds cassette, can fit inside a vintage bike without extending the back of the frame, and have decent hubs?

Return to “Off-topic”