Should Julian Assange Give Himself Up?

ripster

20 Jun 2012, 15:30

As an American I find him a bit paranoid that the USA would somehow snatch him from the Swedes. In addition, he will forfeit 200K British Pounds from his supporters if he flees the country.

Picture of Ecuadorian Embassy, supposedly blanketed by British coppers waiting to nab him if he steps out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ju ... lum-903149

What do you think?

off

20 Jun 2012, 15:50

ripster wrote:As an American I find him a bit paranoid that the USA would somehow snatch him from the Swedes.
I think that makes you less aware of the current situation in the world than the average American.
Or just a clever troll; the Swedes would quite probably just deliver him on a silver platter, perhaps under a blanket.

Soarer

20 Jun 2012, 15:54

It's a pleasant enough construction, although the facade is a little busy.
Last edited by Soarer on 20 Jun 2012, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

20 Jun 2012, 15:57

They could of course under Article 6 of the US/Swedish Extradition Treaty. However in Reddit terms IANAL.

Would they? Can't Europeans not be bullied by the USA?

And yes, I assume that is typical London Architecture. A bit busy. A tad pretentious.

Soarer

20 Jun 2012, 16:04

ripster wrote:A bit busy. A tad pretentious.
Sounds like Assange! ;)

ripster

20 Jun 2012, 16:06

Anyway didn't the UK stand up against the USA and extradition? Why not Sweden?

Or is this British Humor? A way to handle a messy problem without getting their hands dirty by carting them off to the Swedes and THEN to the Yanks?

And Viva La Ecuador for supporting FREE SPEECH!

dirge

20 Jun 2012, 16:22

I wouldn't like him to be sent over to the US to be killed, isn't this all because his website posted proof that the US Gov behaved like pricks?

Multiple

20 Jun 2012, 19:28

I thought something fishy was about to happen when Aftonbladet (ironically nick named the "evening tramp") announced they'd employ him as a columnist. A silly political correct propaganda machine promoting a radical, it was just too surreal to be believable. Really didn't expect it would be a honey trap with a bunch of hot left-wing females, certainly didn't believe he'd fall for it. Considering how the Swedish justitia handled the case (as if they were screaming "Hey! Look at me, someone is pulling my strings!") it is safe to say that Assange could know more about this than what is reported in the news. Probably not a good idea to surrender to the Swedes.

ripster

20 Jun 2012, 19:34

Ooooh. A Honey Trap. I love John LeCarre' novels.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 40,00.html

Findecanor

20 Jun 2012, 20:42

I don't believe that he would be extradited to the US. The threat is that the US would snatch him in a moment where the local "intelligence" would have given them an opening, but I think that could happen in any country, really.

The case is driven by egoism. The women's lawyer wants to be seen in the media. Assange wants to play the "martyr card" rather than be known as a convicted sex offender.
I don't think there is much of a case for "rape", only for "sexual misconduct". If he is convicted, he will probably spend less time in jail than what he has already spent in the UK since this all began.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Jun 2012, 22:17

The real shocker is that you can be arrested and extradited to Sweden when a woman has a vague complaint about a sexual relationship in the past, and all of a sudden you are labeled a RAPIST, and that propaganda sort of worked. Yes, there was a crime, only Assange wasn't the one who committed it. The women are attention whores looking for their one minute of fame and aren't really interesting. Strangely if a woman breaks a condom on purpose, it is not rape, but the man is financially responsible if she gets pregnant.

But the real corruption took place between the highest echelons of the US government (he pissed off everybody from Hilary "Spying on the UN" Clinton, to the US military breaking new record after record in "collateral damage") and the Swedish government, all the way down to the prosecutor. From the US this is normal behavior and was to be expected. But, ooooh, Sweden... Et tu, Brute?

Of course this is the only opinion of any value in this thread, because I was the only one with the balls to cancel Paypal/ebay when the US government corrupted them into closing the wikileaks donations account. :twisted: People are full of high opinion but when it comes to action they cannot escape their own pitiful addiction to the most convenient consumption. We have governments which we deserve.

ripster

21 Jun 2012, 01:03

The real shocker is Australians don't know how to use a condom properly. They WikiLeak.

Australians....

captain

21 Jun 2012, 01:28

Well written webwit. I feel the same way too often.

Findecanor

21 Jun 2012, 01:36

webwit wrote:The women are attention whores looking for their one minute of fame and aren't really interesting.
I don't think it is the two women as much as it is 1) their attention-seeking lawyer that persuaded them to continue, 2) the prosecutor in this case, who is a ultra-über-feminist who sees rapists in every corner.
The women's original intent when they went to the police was not to accuse Assange of any sex-crime but to ask if they could somehow force him to get tested for STDs.

This case is, or rather.. should be handled completely separate from the case of WikiLeaks vs. USA.
An organization such as WikiLeaks should not depend on one front man. There should be multiple spokespersons and there should be a legion of people working behind the scenes.

Topre Enthusiast

21 Jun 2012, 01:53

Lol an Australian using "Blimey"
Ahh Rip your lovable ignorance is probably the thing I like most about you :lol:

ripster

21 Jun 2012, 03:00

You must be a city Aussie.

Fair dinkum:

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/ ... st/c526b2n

Topre Enthusiast

21 Jun 2012, 03:09

The only Aussie in that thread is probably 'JAV0K'

ripster

21 Jun 2012, 03:43

Mum tells those Poms they are wankers!

Daniel Beaver

21 Jun 2012, 16:10

Findecanor wrote:The case is driven by egoism. The women's lawyer wants to be seen in the media. Assange wants to play the "martyr card" rather than be known as a convicted sex offender..
That's my take on it as well. I can't imagine the Swedes extraditing him - people would throw a shit fit (since it would so obviously fit the narrative that Assange is trying to weave), and some politicians would lose elections. The "prosecutor seeking notoriety" hypothesis makes more sense to me. And of course, Assange is playing it correctly as well, getting tons of media attention (which helps wikileaks).

I'm sure that somewhere some US diplomats/spies are trying to steer this whole situation, but I think they have far less control over it than they are given credit for.

Peter

21 Jun 2012, 16:59

Mexico drug plane used for US 'rendition' flights:
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j6Q ... -xUcQEZbVg

You should see the mess we have in Denmark with this rendition, torture, war-on-everything BS .

Anyway, if you had actually read the cables wikileaks released regarding how Sweden totally bent over
to US-pressure and made 75% of swedes criminals overnight (DC++ was HUGE in Sweden) you may get a more
realistic perception of how the post 9-11 World Order works ..
In my country, a female citizen was extradited to the US on 10-year old drug-charges, based solely on 'testimony' from
the guy who was actually CAUGHT with the shit, as part of a 'plea-bargain' . This concept does not exist in Danish law,
we do not reward rats, because there's a good chance they just lie to save their own behinds.
What would YOU say to stay out of US-prison ??

Also, it's worth noting that the accusations are the result of pressure from the Swedish Prosecution-authority .
The lawyer who 'represents Anna' Ardin and the other groupie is a self-proclaimed 'Feminist', despite being a man !
and has close ties to Swedens former Minister of Justice Tomas Bodstrøm .
Anna Ardin even tweeted the day after the alleged 'assault' how great she had felt the night before, 'with the Worlds coolest people' ! This reeks classic honey-trap and character-assassination, just like that French-Jewish guy
who didn't want to plunder the treasuries of Europe for the big banksters ..

captain

28 Jun 2012, 03:35

The moral of this amoral story is:

DON'T STICK YOUR DICK IN CRAZY!

Freedom must be won daily by fighting tyrany. T-ball generation is too lazy, and apathetic. We're going to Hell in a handbasket now. Cheers!

Return to “Off-topic”