Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 vs Custom In-Ears

rhizo

14 Jul 2012, 23:59

Heya guys, I was wondering what you guys think of the HD598's vs Custom in-ear headphones (from minerva-hearing) I'm curious because it comes to the same price for either of them so...

Thanks,

rhizo

15 Jul 2012, 21:08

Kmon guys, I know some of you on here have some serious rigs!

Spharx

15 Jul 2012, 21:42

Bigger membrane = better bass, also all in-ears that I had, no matter how expensive they where, died because of a broken cable. Grab the Headphones.

rhizo

15 Jul 2012, 22:02

Spharx wrote:Bigger membrane = better bass, also all in-ears that I had, no matter how expensive they where, died because of a broken cable. Grab the Headphones.
Hmm, but the in-ears do come with a kevlar cable as standard and they have a guarantee... hmm.

Peter

16 Jul 2012, 14:00

'Custom-in-ear-headphones' ..
Does that mean they are custom-made to fit your ear-channels ?
If so, I would get them .
It's true what Spharx says about bass and membrane-size,
however in-ear monitors are physically coupled to your ear-channels/skull and actually give you
a bit of the physical feeling of bass ..
Also, they isolate quite well, so you won't have to play as loud to not hear the outside world :)

net2522

16 Jul 2012, 14:11

I use UE11 it's been 2 years now. In my opinion headphone might give you better sound stage than in-ear.

Acanthophis

16 Jul 2012, 14:16

People often mistake loud bass = better bass...
I wouldn't grab the HD598 at all (the cheapest Sennheiser I would take would be the HD600/650). For the price there are better headphones out there. For example the beyerdynamic DT 770.
But that's just me...

Anyway, what will the headphones be for?

Maarten

16 Jul 2012, 14:22

Spharx wrote:Bigger membrane = better bass, also all in-ears that I had, no matter how expensive they where, died because of a broken cable. Grab the Headphones.
The magic word here is user replaceable cable ;)

In the end it all comes down to taste i guess. Both the over ear and in ear have pros and cons and in the end its only important what matters to YOU! If you cannot stand having stuff in your ear then you obviously should go for over-ear systems, if portability is important and/or you cannot stand headphones messing up your grease-hairstyle then go for in ears! Yes, bigger membrane means more bass in general but a properly driven high end IEM will still give you more proper bass than a half cocked driven pair of nhuge Skullcandies.

For me the pros and cons are a tie so i got both. I have a set of Shure SE 530 IEMs and a nice pair of custom built ribbon ortho cans and i find i use bot equally much. The big cans i use most at home and the IEMs when on the road (hooked up to my Corda2Move and iMod).

Peter

16 Jul 2012, 15:05

iMod..
Did you do it yourself or send it to redwine or whatever their name is ?
I'm thinking that having the line-level signal running in real cables instead of traces on the print-board improves thing measurably and audibly ?
Also, you are running RockBox, right ?
Have you tried the new Meir-cross-feed ??

Yeah Beyer 770 are great cans, most of Beyers top-range cans are, so are HD600/650 but
you almost need a headphone amp to get the best from them..

rhizo

16 Jul 2012, 15:06

Peter wrote:'Custom-in-ear-headphones' ..
Does that mean they are custom-made to fit your ear-channels ?
If so, I would get them .
It's true what Spharx says about bass and membrane-size,
however in-ear monitors are physically coupled to your ear-channels/skull and actually give you
a bit of the physical feeling of bass ..
Also, they isolate quite well, so you won't have to play as loud to not hear the outside world :)
Yeah, custom fit is what i mean :P

Peter

16 Jul 2012, 15:09

rhizo wrote: Yeah, custom fit is what i mean :P
In that case : Go for it !!

rhizo

16 Jul 2012, 16:03

Maarten wrote:
The magic word here is user replaceable cable ;)

In the end it all comes down to taste i guess. Both the over ear and in ear have pros and cons and in the end its only important what matters to YOU! If you cannot stand having stuff in your ear then you obviously should go for over-ear systems, if portability is important and/or you cannot stand headphones messing up your grease-hairstyle then go for in ears! Yes, bigger membrane means more bass in general but a properly driven high end IEM will still give you more proper bass than a half cocked driven pair of nhuge Skullcandies.

For me the pros and cons are a tie so i got both. I have a set of Shure SE 530 IEMs and a nice pair of custom built ribbon ortho cans and i find i use bot equally much. The big cans i use most at home and the IEMs when on the road (hooked up to my Corda2Move and iMod).
Yeah, im just doing that :) got some M-Audio Q40 cans and some beyer dt770 pads for more comfort, now ima save for the customs, thanks guys!

ask if you wanna review on the q40's :)

Acanthophis

16 Jul 2012, 16:15

Reviews are always appreciated!

Maarten

16 Jul 2012, 16:20

Peter wrote:iMod..
Did you do it yourself or send it to redwine or whatever their name is ?
I'm thinking that having the line-level signal running in real cables instead of traces on the print-board improves thing measurably and audibly ?
Also, you are running RockBox, right ?
Have you tried the new Meir-cross-feed ??

Yeah Beyer 770 are great cans, most of Beyers top-range cans are, so are HD600/650 but
you almost need a headphone amp to get the best from them..
Well, technically speaking what i have is a DiyMod but i prefer the iMod cuz its just shorter by name, so yeah i did it myself (and its nowhere near as neat as the redwines solution). Im still looking for an old busted near-as-makes-no-difference-free 60/80Gb 5(.5) gen just so i can use that back-case on my 30Gb and clean up my work as now im ashamed to show it off... but hey, at least it sounds awesome!!

And yes, its running RockBox ofc! Dont have no cross-feed mods on it, i just use the one provided on my little amp.

Return to “Off-topic”