Replacement Soldering Station

YetAnotherDeveloper

10 Mar 2011, 03:16

My current one just gave out on me and i'm looking for new one... I have been looking at some weller and hakko stations but then i found this one and it has good review on amazon and sparkfun.

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-2900-Lead-S ... B000ZPUKQ4

Anyone have any suggestions?

Half-Saint

10 Mar 2011, 14:15

What? What? Sorry, I'm all for Weller.

YetAnotherDeveloper

10 Mar 2011, 14:33

yeah, i guess i was hoping to avoid the weller/label tax. The weller version with at least the features above is 100$ more. I guess i could shop around for a refurb unit.

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-Dig ... 646&sr=8-3

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Mar 2011, 18:14

I'm also looking for one. I got a cheap used Weller one and it turned out to have the wrong plug (looks like France or something). I have yet to buy an adapter to get it going.

YetAnotherDeveloper

10 Mar 2011, 19:12

I'm this point i just want to make sure that whatever i get that i will get able to get parts 5 years from now... new tips etc. I think i read that the Aoyue station can use some of the hakko tips/parts which would be nice.

RiGS

11 Mar 2011, 22:46

http://cgi.ebay.com/WELLER-DIGITAL-SOLD ... 9697589895
This is a pretty good offer for Europeans.

runeazn

13 Mar 2011, 15:51

225$ shipped international..
no way it is a good deal for europe..

YetAnotherDeveloper

13 Mar 2011, 16:24

i'm now down to the two following stations and both are right at the 100$ mark.

Hakko FX-888
Weller WES51
  • Weller WES51
  • Better availably for replacements parts.
  • Burn proof pencil cord
  • Automatically powers down after 99 minutes of inactivity (this is nice but i'm super anal about turning things off and will probably never use this)
  • Wireless temperature lockout (i dont really care about this one)
  • Hakko FX-888
  • Increased thermal performance and faster thermal recovery time
  • Smaller footprint
  • Larger temperature range
  • Maintains idle temperature within ±1.8°F (the weller is +/- 10°F)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

14 Mar 2011, 01:13

ínteresting... i wonder how it recognizes inactivity

YetAnotherDeveloper

14 Mar 2011, 02:03

sixty wrote:ínteresting... i wonder how it recognizes inactivity

yeah i was wondering that as well... i guess it can see dips in temp when its being used???

ironman31

14 Mar 2011, 04:37

The Hakko 936 is definitely a great soldering station. I haven't heard too much about the fx-888 but it looks like a good deal.

YetAnotherDeveloper

14 Mar 2011, 04:51

ironman31 wrote:The Hakko 936 is definitely a great soldering station. I haven't heard too much about the fx-888 but it looks like a good deal.
Yeah the FX-888 is the replacement for the 936 but i just really cant much in the way of reviews on the quality of it...

YetAnotherDeveloper

15 Mar 2011, 01:25

Well i ordered the weller wes51 and a handful of new tips... i'll prob do a small review after i finish my next project.

RiGS

15 Mar 2011, 01:42

runeazn wrote:225$ shipped international..
Well in Hungary the 220v model costs more than 400 bucks.

Minskleip

15 Mar 2011, 02:15

Remember the review :) I'm on the lookout for a soldering station as well. The last time I soldered I got nowhere and ruined my graphics cards, but at least I learned something lol

keyboardlover

15 Mar 2011, 02:24

In Hungary, Station Solders you!

Minskleip

15 Mar 2011, 02:45

Yeah solder me baby

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Mar 2011, 02:50

RiGS wrote:
Same here, just looked up prices. It actually IS a good deal.

YetAnotherDeveloper

15 Mar 2011, 03:14

sixty wrote:
RiGS wrote:
Same here, just looked up prices. It actually IS a good deal.
ouch! would it be cheaper for someone in the States to buy it and ship it to you or would you just get hit with some huge customs tax or something?

Minskleip

15 Mar 2011, 03:19

YetAnotherDeveloper wrote: ouch! would it be cheaper for someone in the States to buy it and ship it to you or would you just get hit with some huge customs tax or something?
Not if the person responsible for shipping marks it as gift!

Now what's the point of having taxes on stuff which are not manufactured in the country which you reside? You can ofcourse go the route of better late than sorry, but it's still a bit stupid.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Mar 2011, 03:22

Gift trick doesn't work with German customs since years. They believe nothing. Problem when importing stuff like this is the plug and voltage. Thats why the one listed on eBay right now is a good deal... because of unknown reasons it is 220volt rather than the 110 volt you guys use in the states :)

Minskleip

15 Mar 2011, 03:26

Customs suck :( Once the Irish customs guys tore off the paper of my book gift and then the post lady left the package for everyone to steal on the top of the mail boxes.. :(

IanM

15 Mar 2011, 03:30

For the EU the maximum item value for gifts is €45, anything worth more than that you have to pay the full duty and VAT unfortunately. Sometimes you get lucky and don't have to pay, but it's risky to make a false declaration of the item value - if the parcel gets lost you won't be able to claim the insurance, and if the customs officials suspect serious shenanigans they may confiscate the item (probably quite rare for Internet shopping, usually they would just make you pay the tax)

Minskleip

15 Mar 2011, 03:33

E45 is still much better than then Norwegian limit, which is E25!

Return to “Off-topic”