There goes geekhack again

thegunner100

10 Aug 2012, 02:53

Yep, incoming rollback?!

suprsmo

10 Aug 2012, 02:59

yah.. not sure what's happened this time..

went to load it (after DT) first thing when I got in today..

No soup for you!

placebo guy

10 Aug 2012, 03:13

Hopefully it's just maintenance.

Hyde

10 Aug 2012, 03:14

lol I know, it's like what's going on. Maybe time to sign up to Overclock.net seems to have bigger community and more stable >____>

Elrick

10 Aug 2012, 03:17

suprsmo wrote:went to load it (after DT) first thing when I got in today..

No soup for you!
Thank Gawd it wasn't only me......... Just as you get use to GH being up and running it does it again. Looks like this wonderful place might have to make room for all the refugees.........yet again. :oops:

thegunner100

10 Aug 2012, 03:39

I'm no refugee! DT is actually a really nice place ^^

cactux

10 Aug 2012, 03:51

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Elrick

10 Aug 2012, 04:54

thegunner100 wrote:I'm no refugee! DT is actually a really nice place ^^
Yes it is, in fact this place has the biggest heart in Forum-land. After all it did offer a sanctuary to Geekhackers when their forum went down.

In fact Deskthority is the very bedrock upon where a community can rely on 100% reliability and honesty 24/7 all year long.

For me, I still have this place as my home page in my browser from now on.

JBert

10 Aug 2012, 09:08

Just don't upset the other lurkers here, old-timers can be grumpy.

suprsmo

10 Aug 2012, 10:22

DT rocks..

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

10 Aug 2012, 11:24

Ever since R00TW0RM DT has been my primary keyboard forum. DT has never been down for more than a few minutes at a time (that I've noticed). GH is a bit crowded, but that makes the classifieds have more exposure. I don't see myself making GH my primary forum again for the time being. It's nice not being moderated/rolled back/censored here. I occasionally lurked here long before I joined, and I wish I had sooner.

dirge

10 Aug 2012, 11:32

Geekhacks great for group buys due to the amount of people, but people are splitting away and making sites like keyboard story and others to handle orders.

Loafers

14 Aug 2012, 05:04

so ummm what exactly happened to geekhack? don't have time to follow the drama so could someone explain why a lot of people migrated to deskthority?

edit: o and what happeend to that nerdguy who had like a billion posts on gh? where he go :(?

Topre Enthusiast

14 Aug 2012, 05:15

Geekhack was hacked a bunch of times until it was eventually taken offline and new hardware/software was installed.
During that time, a lot of GH'ers came to Deskthority to sell their clickclacks. Some people liked DT after being basically forced to check it out and I suspect the amount of regulars swelled since then.

Ripster was banned from geekhack, and then restricted in how often he could post here until he just gave up and now he is pretty much running a one man show on reddit/r/mechanicalkeyboards

Loafers

14 Aug 2012, 05:18

002 wrote:Geekhack was hacked a bunch of times until it was eventually taken offline and new hardware/software was installed.
During that time, a lot of GH'ers came to Deskthority to sell their clickclacks. Some people liked DT after being basically forced to check it out and I suspect the amount of regulars swelled since then.
ahh i see.
002 wrote:Ripster was banned from geekhack, and then restricted in how often he could post here until he just gave up and now he is pretty much running a one man show on reddit/r/mechanicalkeyboards
what!? he was the arm & leg of gh though!

Topre Enthusiast

14 Aug 2012, 05:45

Ripster's personality rubs some people the wrong way. The 'some people' I refer to just so happened to include administrators from both of the major keyboard forums. He's a lot safer on reddit and I think it suits him there. Although he seems to get a lot of downvotes...maybe it's the bots?

Loafers

14 Aug 2012, 06:06

002 wrote:Ripster's personality rubs some people the wrong way. The 'some people' I refer to just so happened to include administrators from both of the major keyboard forums. He's a lot safer on reddit and I think it suits him there. Although he seems to get a lot of downvotes...maybe it's the bots?
what a shame. thanks for all the info :S

thegunner100

14 Aug 2012, 06:17

I'm sure some people would go out of their ways just to down vote ripster.

Loafers

14 Aug 2012, 06:22

thegunner100 wrote:I'm sure some people would go out of their ways just to down vote ripster.
lol that's just sad.

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Aug 2012, 07:36

002 wrote:Ripster's personality rubs some people the wrong way. The 'some people' I refer to just so happened to include administrators from both of the major keyboard forums.
He wanted to get banned by spamming. You almost make it sound like that nasty cunt is a victim of people not liking his personality. He is not a victim, he is a cunt.

Topre Enthusiast

14 Aug 2012, 08:01

If we're talking about our own personal opinions of Ripster, then I don't think mine differs too much from yours.
I didn't mean 'some people' in any derogatory sense. To me, Ripster is an over-confident, loud mouthed, insensitive troll.

'Cunt' is what I call my close mates

kbdfr
The Tiproman

14 Aug 2012, 08:06

webwit wrote:
002 wrote:Ripster's personality rubs some people the wrong way. The 'some people' I refer to just so happened to include administrators from both of the major keyboard forums.
He wanted to get banned by spamming. You almost make it sound like that nasty cunt is a victim of people not liking his personality. He is not a victim, he is a cunt.
I do agree with that,
even if I would have put it in other words :lol:

In any case, ripster had be warned numerous times and just did not care. He's by no way a victim.

Topre Enthusiast

14 Aug 2012, 08:29

He *is* a victim...of his own devices.

Half-Saint

14 Aug 2012, 09:12

Johnson's Baby No More Tears :D

dirge

14 Aug 2012, 09:35

002 wrote:He *is* a victim...of his own devices.
Input devices? :mrgreen:

Topre Enthusiast

14 Aug 2012, 09:41

More like output devices lol

andrewjoy

14 Aug 2012, 09:43

I always used to like the mods section at geekhack its not as good now

some people may not like ripster but you have to admit at least at geekhack he made quite a bit of contribution to the wiki

RougeRambo

16 Aug 2012, 01:23

like ripster or not, he was part of the community and did contriubte in a big way....even if he is a cunt.

dont have much of a personal opinion on him yet, hes never been any hassle to me really.

Findecanor

16 Aug 2012, 02:18

I saw Ripster post about mechanical keyboards on Slashdot yesterday ... and the follow-up post "Oh no, Ripster is on Slashdot!". LOL

I think that Ripster's problem is that he believes that he is entitled to spam a lot just because he has contributed a lot in the past. Joking around is something that can make an online community seem active and creates bonds between participants, and that was actually something that helped draw me in into the community when I joined GH a couple ofyears ago. It is just that he had done it too much in recent months. I don't dislike the guy, I just think that he needed to get down from his high horses.

jcrouse

16 Aug 2012, 02:23

RougeRambo wrote:....even if he is a cunt.

dont have much of a personal opinion on him yet

WOW, can't get much more personal than that.

Return to “Off-topic”