Vacation

Half-Saint

14 Aug 2012, 09:13

Just to let everyone know I will be away on vacation until Friday. Catch you all later! :)

cactux

14 Aug 2012, 09:40

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Charlie_Brown_MX

14 Aug 2012, 10:23

cactux wrote:do not forget to bring some presents for all of us ;-)
Seconded. I’d like a HHKB, please.

Half-Saint

14 Aug 2012, 11:48

I'm not going to Japan ;)

ZedTheMan

28 May 2019, 16:01

Uh, you may be a good 6.5 years late to the party.

depletedvespene

28 May 2019, 17:14

Half-Saint didn't say WHAT Friday would he be back in, so...

(where do I send my résumé???)

Half-Saint

16 Jul 2019, 19:19

So I'm back? :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Jul 2019, 20:10

that was quite the vacation

JP!

27 Jul 2019, 00:28

I'm going on vacation as well. Someone feel free to reply back or pm me a few years from now ;)

CountNoctua

27 Jul 2019, 18:29

JP! wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 00:28
I'm going on vacation as well. Someone feel free to reply back or pm me a few years from now ;)
By that time WWIII will be over and the survivors in the nuclear winter will be using keycaps to buy goods and services.

vometia
irritant

27 Jul 2019, 19:18

All these allusions to New Vegas are making me wish for a nuclear winter.

Muirium
µ

28 Jul 2019, 13:27

Well, it’ll come for both of us in November

vometia
irritant

28 Jul 2019, 14:46

I dunno. UK politics has been failing us for the entirety of my life that I've been aware it's a thing. Nearly as much as the UK media.

Muirium
µ

28 Jul 2019, 15:43

Very much the same feeling up here. That’s why half of us want indy, and the other half is having severe doubts, looking down at what’s headed our way. This madness was none of our doing. But it’ll do us, every bit as much.

mr_a500

29 Jul 2019, 03:43

Muirium wrote:
That’s why half of us want indy
Who wouldn't want Indy? He kicks ass - especially in the first movie.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Jul 2019, 08:57

who knows maybe Brexit will bring Unified Ireland and Scotland to EU.

depletedvespene

29 Jul 2019, 14:32

matt3o wrote:
What about the Isle of Man?

Raumfahrer

29 Jul 2019, 14:34

depletedvespene wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 14:32
matt3o wrote:
What about the Isle of Man?
Financial center naturally

depletedvespene

29 Jul 2019, 14:39

Andorra land-locked in the Pyrenees mountains, Man seal-locked in the Irish sea. We now only need a tiny country in the skies to complete the triad of financial centers.

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2019, 14:40

Sssh! Don’t let the secret out. No one mentions the Manx, for good reason. They’re a good, yacht accessible, laundry… and they don’t exist, capeesh?

vometia
irritant

29 Jul 2019, 18:22

It's a curious thing looking at the relative in/out thing of various bits of the UK. I'm thinking it seems to follow some sort of sine wave depending on the distance from London, which also seems to be the case with the degree of general contempt the London media views the rest of the UK. I'm thinking maybe London should strive for independence and demonstrate its awesomeness by being Hotblack Desiato's new stunt ship.

As for the political side of things... meh. Culturally I'm a unrepentant Europhile, politically... well, politically I view it the same way as I view anything else political, which is like something I wish I hadn't trod in.

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2019, 19:40

You’re not the first to suggest indy for London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_independence

Vaguely remember signing a petition for it myself! England’s new capital can be Clacton-on-Sea. Gawd knows they’re calling all the shots now.

Fun fact: my maternal granda was a Londoner. Tooting born and bred. He’d have loved Brexit. Mind, he was a cantankerous, contrarian, devilishly hypocritical bugger and I wouldn’t dare to be certain. He was trolling back in the forties, I swear!

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2019, 19:58

mr_a500 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 03:43
Muirium wrote:
That’s why half of us want indy
Who wouldn't want Indy? He kicks ass - especially in the first movie.
Indeed. And what a theme song! If I had any say in these matters, I’d have us use that iconic overture for our cause. And then I’d wind up in court, against Lucasfilm / Disney’s lawyers. They’re cool, right? Like Indy? Did anyone bring a whip? You’re legal professionals after all. No, it’s not for bondage, this time! I need something to swing from the chandelier, then knock myself out as I screw up my dramatic escape…

Da-dada-dah!

vometia
irritant

29 Jul 2019, 21:05

I try to not be too hypocritical but I admit I'm quite cantankerous. As or Brexit, meh, the right answer to the wrong question, or vice-versa. Right now we seem to have a lot of wrong answers to whatever the question was.

As for me, the whole English/Scottish thing is... I dunno. I'm English, most of my ancestors are Scottish, as my sunburn demonstrates. Though one is a Mackem, apparently. D:

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2019, 21:29

It’s not a Scots vs. English thing here. For instance, I’ve been to a few demos for Indy and met these guys:

http://www.englishscotsforyes.org/

My own accent is indelibly part English from my Kentish mum. I’m cool with being half English myself. It’s not England we have a beef with. It’s that imperial house of nincompoops on the Thames.

We’ve got everything we need here to be Europe’s 28th nation. Once we damn well decide to! That being the tricky part. We’ll be nice neighbours, honest! Just look at how accommodating Ireland is being while the UK goes through its inexplicable identity crisis. The other English speaking nations of Europe are as reasonable and patient as you’ll find anywhere on Earth. Maybe Canada got its genes from us!

andrewjoy

31 Jul 2019, 17:57

Muirium wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 21:29

We’ve got everything we need here to be Europe’s 28th nation.
Aye , you have all our money ! :mrgreen:

I honestly don't understand the idea of leaving the UK to join Europe. Aint you pro independence for Scotland ?

You will have more devolved power under the current UK system than you will have with what the EU has panned.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2019, 11:17

Once we’re gone, think of how much better off you’ll be. Without those pesky, penniless jocks and all their oil, gas, water, fisheries, wind power, electricity storage, global dominance of the whisky industry, salmon, and more iconic food exports than a nation our size deserves. You’ll be rolling in your own riches at last!

Europe is a trading association. Britain is a nuthouse fast running out of time.

scottc

01 Aug 2019, 11:38

Independent London would be good fun. Like a Vatican City but of finance companies.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2019, 12:08

Indeed. And a dozen million or so more souls! It’s more a Singapore.

I’ve toured the Vatican. A curious experience as a non-Christian. Lots of pretty art and, um, giddy nuns. I look forward to doing the City of London tour as a non-financier. Wonder if they’ll let you walk on in from the surrounding country, too.

adhoc

03 Aug 2019, 12:17

Muirium wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 11:17
Once we’re gone, think of how much better off you’ll be. Without those pesky, penniless jocks and all their oil, gas, water, fisheries, wind power, electricity storage, global dominance of the whisky industry, salmon, and more iconic food exports than a nation our size deserves. You’ll be rolling in your own riches at last!

Europe is a trading association. Britain is a nuthouse fast running out of time.
Scotland really is amazing, there's no way around it.

Return to “Off-topic”