Is Ripster banned?

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

02 Sep 2012, 10:37

Your argument implies that a LOT of people will remove him from their foes list to see his posts... And that they will all respond...

longweight
key-bored

02 Sep 2012, 11:26

The_Ed wrote:Your argument implies that a LOT of people will remove him from their foes list to see his posts... And that they will all respond...
It will only take one person per thread to start the derailing.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Sep 2012, 11:33

The_Ed wrote:Why not let him back on, but make him a "foe" by default? Everyone who wants to see his posts will remove him from their foe list, while everyone else won't have to see anything he posts. Sound good?
Here? He banned himself by aggressive behavior aimed at getting banned, apparently he wanted out. I think it was his way to force himself out of addictive behavior, by burning bridges. I advise a shrink. He clearly has some problems.

RiGS

02 Sep 2012, 21:20

He told me that he did that, because you put him on 1 post/hour limit.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Sep 2012, 21:39

I did, to counter a major flood attack aimed at getting banned. Should have banned him immediately instead of trying to keep him in. Then I lifted the limit, and he flooded again. End of story. I am not a babysitter/therapist. You'll have to ask him why he wanted this, it was by his design. I would have preferred it if he would just have requested to have his account disabled. His bridge burning style sucked.

RiGS

02 Sep 2012, 21:53

Did he actually try to Dos attack deskthority, or it was just your attempt to control his rising post count?

7bit

02 Sep 2012, 22:04

RiGS wrote:Did he actually try to Dos attack deskthority, or it was just your attempt to control his rising post count?
As far as I remember 90% of his posts where about being banned from GeekHack.
9% where about complaing that the LODs got reversed and when Round 4 will be finished, so he gets the Round 3 replacements.
1% where ripometer posts.
Last edited by 7bit on 02 Sep 2012, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Sep 2012, 22:05

Excessive post count, he wouldn't know how to DOS attack :mrgreen:

mintberryminuscrunch

02 Sep 2012, 22:05

7bit wrote:
RiGS wrote:Did he actually try to Dos attack deskthority, or it was just your attempt to control his rising post count?
As far as I remember 90% of his posts where about being banned from GeekHack.
Make that 99%

cactux

02 Sep 2012, 22:31

[Account and posts deleted on request]

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Sep 2012, 22:57

I posted this before. Posts per day leading up to flood limit (last day). Would have been better if it contained content but mostly reddit spam in the end flooding each topic.
chart.png
chart.png (11.31 KiB) Viewed 3175 times

Grond

02 Sep 2012, 23:04

I didn't know that he had come to this point! That's sad. In this case I certainly agree banning him was the right thing to do.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Sep 2012, 23:24

I hated doing it because we try to have free speech here, but flooding is an exception because then it becomes inescapable and not about free speech. Also I don't aspire the moderating/banning role, keyboards interest me more. But at some point I have a larger responsibility towards other members posting topics and posts and seeing all these owned by someone trying to take over by sabotage, by default. Anyway, it was clear he was provoking a ban, so no strategy would have been any use except granting him his wish.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Sep 2012, 08:16

kbdfr wrote:I don't miss ripster.
It was a real pain to browse the forum and always stumble upon his postings with not much more content than off-topic pictures, meaningless videos and grotesque self-praise.
No question he contributed an awful lot to "keyboard science" and to spreading it. A pity he didn't stick to that.
The_Ed wrote:You do realize that you could have just added him to your foes list right?
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
Why not let him back on, but make him a "foe" by default? Everyone who wants to see his posts will remove him from their foe list, while everyone else won't have to see anything he posts. Sound good?
Actually I had him on my foe list. First and only time ever I did that on any forum.
But
i) as already pointed out, following discussions then soon become ununderstandable as soon as anybody answers or comments one of his posts,
ii) as I read quite a lot here without first logging in, there was no way escaping his spam.

I think webwit did exactly the right thing, trying to keep him and his profound keyboard knowledge, but ripster obviously (perhaps unconsciously) wanted to get banned.

Topre Enthusiast

03 Sep 2012, 09:13

Acanthophis

03 Sep 2012, 09:44

What I wonder the most is how he behaves in RL.
I mean, he has a wife and at least one kid, afaik.
Maybe he is not "man" enough to dick around in RL so he does it on the internet.

Where is Hannibal Lecter when you need a psychological profile? :D

mintberryminuscrunch

03 Sep 2012, 10:01

please don't get personal
he isn't here to defend himself
..or verbally throw feces around

Return to “Off-topic”