What are you listening to at the moment?

Mal-2

24 May 2015, 01:02

Just landed in my Gmail box this morning.

davkol

25 May 2015, 22:04

Saw BG live last night (setlist). They were fucking amazing!

JBert

25 May 2015, 22:36

This one had me tearing my hair out wondering which song it was after hearing that mellow Pianet [sic] sound in an advertising clip:

Mal-2

26 May 2015, 02:53

JBert wrote: This one had me tearing my hair out wondering which song it was after hearing that mellow Pianet [sic] sound in an advertising clip:
I can't find anything to back this up, but that sounds like a Wurlitzer electric piano to me. (Compare this, from Supertramp's "Breakfast in America".)
Most of the songs on this album used the Wurlitzer with various effects pedals, but this is the one that sounds closest to "She's Not There" in its tone.

The main difference between the Wurlitzer and the more familiar Fender Rhodes electric piano is that the Rhodes uses stiff wire with a weight at the end as its sound-generating spring while the Wurlitzer uses tuning forks. This causes the Wurlitzer to sound mellow, almost syrupy when played softly, but lets it really growl when bashed hard.

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 May 2015, 02:58

Good one for before bed. Requires quite loud speakers though.

fifted

26 May 2015, 18:47

Thanks for the electric piano notes -- I think those things are fascinating!

::now listening to piano demos::

mr_a500

29 May 2015, 22:19

I don't know if I've heard this before, but it seems very familiar - probably because there were so many similar songs from 1983-1985.
The lyrics are dumb and it's repetitive as hell, but it totally captures the feeling of the time, which is sadly gone forever.

I like the way she bounces when she says "Maria Magdalena".

helveticaman

29 May 2015, 22:53

Thanks mr_a500 that was super rad!

Here's something that has caught my ear lately:

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 00:13

Shakuhachi jazz.

mr_a500

30 May 2015, 00:25

helveticaman wrote: Thanks mr_a500 that was super rad!
I just found this one too:
She seems to have adjusted to the times, because this one has a late-80's feel. I consider 1988 (when this was made) to be the last "good year" (not great, but still OK). 1989 sucked and the 90's were total shit.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 00:27

Depends what genres you're into. I listen to a lot of music from this century, but none of it is mainstream. Before the Internet, I loathed modern stuff too. Because all I'd ever hear was pop, which in Europe's case in the 1990s was 24-7 techno/house. I was pretty sure music had ended entirely for a while there.

SL89

30 May 2015, 00:28

SL89

30 May 2015, 00:29

Also:

SL89

30 May 2015, 00:34

Finally:

mr_a500

30 May 2015, 00:35

Muirium wrote: Depends what genres you're into.
I'm not talking just about music, but about everything. There are periods of major change for the worse. 1985 was one such year. 1989 was another. (and 1977, 1963, 2001, etc.) There are definite times where you can feel the change.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 00:42

Odd. Besides technology, it feels like other traditional signs of progress (fashion in clothing, cars, architecture) has slowed down a lot during my lifetime. It's amazing that we're two decades after the 90s now, and still really quite similar in those respects, not least if you look to the 70s on the other side! Seems that the postwar / Cold War era was big on cosmetic progress, which tailed off, in my view, around 2000 or earlier.

This happens to a lot of things anyway. My brother was training to be a pilot for a while in the 90s, and he was forever bitching about how backwards many things are in planes. Even the ubiquitous Cessna is a modern antique! No way have even military planes moved on as much since the 60s as in the decades before that.

We're innovating different things for now. Some of it is transformative (hey, Internet!) and, as ever, a lot of it is not.

SL89

30 May 2015, 00:44

Everything is referencing the past. Lots of emulation and glorification of the past. Things just crop up and never die. Esp with the time machine that the Internet is and has become. The things that have progressed (Computers / Internet) have done so VERY rapidly. But standby things in design and fashion stayed and essentially hit peak, became a faux pas, and eventually became a niche thing. I mean even DT is glorifying designs harkening back to when typewriters were invented.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 01:05

I think SL89's points jibe better with my impression of reality than A500's. Having a bad day, old lad?

<whoops, he's gone deleted it>

DT can certainly be counted amongst the retromania of the web. Unlike oh some of us, I reckon new boards can be just as good as vintage classics. Not often! But sometimes. Topre's my obvious choice, as I appreciate their stuff right on par with my Kishsaver and other choice IBMs. But Topre's been up to much the same thing for a long old while. The absurdity is a modern Realforce isn't really modern at all, so much as it is a freshly manufactured version of what you could have found in Japan back when my Kish was new!

Ah, keyboards are a weird field. Things really did get worse and worse from the early 80s on. That's what drives us back to the oldies so much. Well, some of us. There's always the Koreans and whatever goes on at GH and Reddit that I scarcely understand. Something to do with new, but not in a good way…

SL89

30 May 2015, 01:20

We freak out about hall effect and archaic pcbs. At least a few people here would probably be either as comfortable with a terminal as they are with a GUI.

You're reticence to dive into the other arenas is amusing. GH and /r/MK are moving 'forward' in very different ways. DT is equally looking backwards and forwards.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 01:46

Just the look of GH's URLs makes my OCD tingle. And the whole impermanence thing on Reddit baffles me. I'm much happier with things I can understand! DT works like any old (competently hosted) forum, has a fantastic crowd and aligns well with my own focus in computing. The others… I'd be lost at sea.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

30 May 2015, 01:52

Muirium wrote: Just the look of GH's URLs makes my OCD tingle. And the whole impermanence thing on Reddit baffles me. I'm much happier with things I can understand! DT works like any old (competently hosted) forum, has a fantastic crowd and aligns well with my own focus in computing. The others… I'd be lost at sea.

Thats why I came here instead :mrgreen:

JBert

30 May 2015, 02:27

mr_a500 wrote: I don't know if I've heard this before, but it seems very familiar - probably because there were so many similar songs from 1983-1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1DIV8V_zwQ

The lyrics are dumb and it's repetitive as hell, but it totally captures the feeling of the time, which is sadly gone forever.

I like the way she bounces when she says "Maria Magdalena".
Yes, this also made me wonder what songs this could be similar to.

After some reminiscing Laura Branigan's "Self control" seems to mesh with what I had in mind, it also seems to have a female voice alternating with a male voice (though in chorus and with guitar):
Then again, while I do agree that lots of synth songs sounded like that back then I tend to stick to the 90s.

JustLiQuiD

30 May 2015, 21:49

Mal-2

30 May 2015, 21:55

Muirium wrote: Shakuhachi jazz.
I am reminded quite a bit of this, which if you haven't heard before, you should.

SL89

30 May 2015, 22:04

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 22:53

Love this one. The end is absolutely sublime.

Stabilized

30 May 2015, 23:11

JustLiQuiD wrote:
Spoiler:
Thanks for that, usually don't like Majestic Casual uploads, but that one's pretty good.

Listening to this myself:

photekq
Cherry Picker

30 May 2015, 23:14

Just doesn't get old..
And rediscovered after having not heard it in a few years. The song that got me interested in electronic music. Real oldschool :maverick: :

SL89

30 May 2015, 23:26

photekq
Cherry Picker

30 May 2015, 23:33

SL89 wrote:
Burial!

Homeless & Pirates are my favourites by him.. Archangel is good too. In fact, that whole album is gold.

Window Licker probably isn't my favourite by Aphex but it's catchy. Polynomial C, X-Tal, Avril 14th and Alberto Balsalm all beat it I think.

Return to “Off-topic”