Does this make me #2 ban on GH?

DanGWanG

20 Apr 2013, 16:28

As long as you understand the nastiness of the GH admins my job is done :)

Oh and sorry didnt see your question. I've tried many times to warn the public about being smarter about their purchases. I'd link you to all my posts about it and how strongly I felt but my IP is banned at GH :/

And lastly, my apologies if you feel disrespected. The intent was to reduce any public arguments in the sale thread. Lots of people hate me right now, apparently you included. Did I succumb into the GH secret society of information? Yes I did for a little but as soon as I could I released information to as many people as I could. Did I take advantage of the situation personally? I sold 1 set of beige doubleshots for $30 over Sherrytons price. So I guess I did.

Now in respect to tsangays sale, the olivetti and red escs were sold before I had a chance to even see the thread. Could I have made a huge effort to say something? Would that not have been a personal attack anyway? Yes to both and I tried to find out who he sold them to and couldnt find out until much later. Apparently they didnt care they paid a premium anyway. By the way, I have additional chat conversation with tsangay. He asked me what I thought the Olivetti and Red Esc's were worth (even though he is very good at analyzing the market pricing anyway) and I gave my honest opinion, not knowing that they were going to be reproduced. The only sets I was made aware of reproduction was the classic beige, dolch and possibly the RGB. Guess what he did? He sold them for almost double what I told him.

The reason I've come back to sell everything that completely goes against everything I've preached before is because not only was I shunned from GH for doing so but it also proved to me thay all my preaching was pointless. I show up on DT, post an asshole thread, and all my stuff will sell at extreme premiums regardless. Everything I've preached has proven to be completely worthless.

Lastly, one thing I did want to mention is that, webwit...you do not represent the collective "we" as you speak. In your definition of "we," you say the members of Deskthority. The majority of your members also share the same membership as Geekhack. So when you say something like (paraphrasing here), we did not do anything to you, that's not entirely true. If that was true, and all your membership felt so disrespected, why is my inbox filled with almost a hundred messages now? (half of them saying they're sorry to see me go and wish me luck, etc.)

mintberryminuscrunch

20 Apr 2013, 17:11

Interesting dilemma, protect your investment or do the right thing.
edit:
though price wise doesn't make much sense to sell dolch sets, since gmk is overpriced anyway
and I wouldn't have bought red esc at those ridiculous prices either

DanGWanG

20 Apr 2013, 17:32

I think at the height of all the Dolch pricing, it went upwards of $200+. I recall seeing someone selling an SP replica set for like $150 or something.

GMC

20 Apr 2013, 17:55

So to sum up...
Dan thinks there are a few cocks on GH
Dan thinks the GH mods are cocks,
Some of the GH based cocks have DT accounts.
Dan wants to sell his things but can't do potential buyers the courtesy of even sticking a phone camera pic on the thread.
Dan is selling everything to get out of the hobby, but will take trades for rare overpriced and overvalued items that only collectors care about.
Dan will not monitor the thread but is posting replies.
Dan does not want people to know how much money he is taking, why if you are truly going to bugger off? (Rhetorical)

Over time I have formed the opinion that Dan is a cock. The fact that some other people may be cocks too does not make him less of a cock.
I wonder why he is not simply banned from DT, and why his sale posts have not been deleted. DT is worth more than to be treated like a blackmarket trading post for GH. Go to ebay...

Dan, you made a pisspoor decision when faced with one. You don't like what happened after and have made another pisspoor decision over how to handle that opinion. At every stage it seems to me that you are screwing with people and generally that if there is strife you are either party to it and silent, or the cause and vocal. I suspect that with this sale you may outdo yourself and achieve both. I wonder if you ever held true to anything you have written....
Now I'm bored and will not comment further. Hope the rest have fun.

hamza_tm

20 Apr 2013, 18:35

Acanthophis wrote: (This is just my current view of things, I don't know all the details. Just expressing my thoughts.)
This is my current view of things, I don't know all the details, and this isn't directed at you personally Acanthophis. Just expressing my thoughts on the following:
Acanthophis wrote: And even if I would swear and heavily insult someone (please note we are on the internet), why is that person stupid enough to take it this seriously? Isn't it their fault 'it' gets to them?
Another example is trashtalk in the NBA. It happens like all the time, and sometimes player lose their cool and react to it. But guess who the villain will be? Exactly, not the trashtalker, but the 'weak' "victim" who overreacted...
There is something called "being a fucking dick" and it revolves around people insulting others or acting in a way that is publicly offensive and not caring about it, thusly: "it's their problem right?". Do note in some situations such behaviour is considered part of the social norm (e.g. NBA if what you're saying is true), and that should be taken into account when terming what is publicly offensive and what isn't.

If you haven't the moral fibre to respect people and their feelings you need to sort yourself out because you aren't making friends that way. If they take offense from an asshole with no clue about how to be a valued member of a community, then yep that's their fault for not just feeling sorry for you, but you're the one with the bigger problem if you can't even see that.

Hope I haven't interrupted anything :ugeek:

Peter

20 Apr 2013, 18:40

I have NO regrets over the circus I made out of those cyrillic-boards,
other than the fact that I didn't just STFU and hoard them all,
I got the 500€ I wanted for the one I purchased, and even those of you who paid 300€
for it should still be able to make a buck or two, if you ever sell it !

This is how collecting is :
Some things ARE 'worth' (or cost) more than most peoples budgets allow ..
No need for people calling each other nasty names or anything because of that, is there ?

I liked this :
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rare-Sun-Hemmi-2 ... true&rt=nc
But do you hear me cry and call people names because it's out of reach on my budget ?

tsangan

20 Apr 2013, 23:14

I'm just here to set a few facts straight

I never sold my Olevitti DS, it's still with me

I did sell the 1 red Esc, I owned 3 back when they were rare and still own 2 of them

I did not sell anything else (DESKO RGB, Cherry DS etc)

When some people attempt to trade me for RGB i deny because I knew what was going to happen in the future

I did not say anything to the public because it was someone's business I shared this info with a friend when I should not have

Literally I still have my collection since when I started I mostly sold my SP production items but my cherry stuff rarely leave me so not sure where you got that I was unloading my stuff. Yes I did warn you because you were investing a lot of money into this and I did not want to see a friend lose money, I was merely watching out for a friend nothing more

Acanthophis

21 Apr 2013, 01:45

hamza_tm wrote:
Acanthophis wrote: And even if I would swear and heavily insult someone (please note we are on the internet), why is that person stupid enough to take it this seriously? Isn't it their fault 'it' gets to them?
Another example is trashtalk in the NBA. It happens like all the time, and sometimes player lose their cool and react to it. But guess who the villain will be? Exactly, not the trashtalker, but the 'weak' "victim" who overreacted...
There is something called "being a fucking dick" and it revolves around people insulting others or acting in a way that is publicly offensive and not caring about it, thusly: "it's their problem right?". Do note in some situations such behaviour is considered part of the social norm (e.g. NBA if what you're saying is true), and that should be taken into account when terming what is publicly offensive and what isn't.
You're mixing something up here.
I, as an ESL speaker (or writer), can't always get my point phrased a 100% correctly in English, nor can I ensure, even if I totally do phrase it correctly, there is still a possibility you might misunderstand it.
So, bearing that in mind, have you read my few sentences with the right caution?
If you haven't the moral fibre to respect people and their feelings you need to sort yourself out because you aren't making friends that way. If they take offense from an asshole with no clue about how to be a valued member of a community, then yep that's their fault for not just feeling sorry for you, but you're the one with the bigger problem if you can't even see that.
That's fucking common sense, even a "fucking dick" knows so. So why are you posting this? Is the "you" addressed to me? Or is it really just a indefinite pronoun?
Because sometimes I use the word "I" as an indefinite pronoun, as in you (yeah yeah, because that's what some Germans (or me) do...). With that in mind, go read my text again.
Aside the fact I may falsely used the word "I' instead of "one" or "you", I used (that's the English expression I found for, I don't know if it fits, I know the German grammatical name, though (Konjuntiv II)) I in a conditional sentence, I didn't use it as in "I always go around insulting people, and expect them to just swallow it"...
If you got that out of my text, either I suck more in this language than I expected, or you have a really bad reading comprehension, especially if we consider I wrote in your native language.

So with that being said: Fuck off.
Happy now?

:roll:
Last edited by Acanthophis on 21 Apr 2013, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

rknize

21 Apr 2013, 09:11

Dan,

Speaking as a modest contributor to this community, I don't see how that post has helped anyone other than yourself. In that light, I hope it has given you the affirmation of your personal positions that you were seeking.

Speaking as an admin of Geehack (with apologies to Deskthority), thank you for your feedback. We all got a good chuckle out of the Ming thing. If you hadn't asked us to permaban you, you could have given us that feedback over there instead of here.

Good luck and remember: they are just little pieces of plastic.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Apr 2013, 13:13

A rather weak and cowardly ad hominem... so what is the response of the geekhack admin to the accusations of corruption of members of admin, over just pieces of plastic? :twisted: mintberryminuscrunch calls it an interesting moral dilemma further above. I would call it that over a real large amount of money. If we're talking tens or hundreds of dollars of profit, where the damage of items losing value was channeled to uninformed victims and members of the community, by design, I call it cheap thievery and swindling. Selling your soul, over just pieces of plastic. Personally I wouldn't sell my soul over, say, $100, by ripping off a member for $100.

So did Dan make it up or is it true?

mintberryminuscrunch

21 Apr 2013, 14:24

keeping the moral aspects aside
i always considered the red escape prices a bubble that had to burst someday
same as the brobot, gasmask, skull.... shit bubble will burst someday and ppl will have to sell them below retail prices to get at least some of their investments back.
but I also consider the 5$ gmk red esc overpriced but would pay 30$ for a vintage one
same with dolch where I value the genuine one more than gmk reproductions even if it isn't rational

DanGWanG

21 Apr 2013, 17:40

rknize wrote:Dan,

Speaking as a modest contributor to this community, I don't see how that post has helped anyone other than yourself. In that light, I hope it has given you the affirmation of your personal positions that you were seeking.

Speaking as an admin of Geehack (with apologies to Deskthority), thank you for your feedback. We all got a good chuckle out of the Ming thing. If you hadn't asked us to permaban you, you could have given us that feedback over there instead of here.

Good luck and remember: they are just little pieces of plastic.
Ming refused to ban me otherwise :/ is he still talking mad shit about people on skype? I heard he enjoys doing that about his members.

mashby

21 Apr 2013, 17:59

guilleguillaume

22 Apr 2013, 02:42

I think people lose their minds when they take this hobby as a business or a way to make some quick and easy money.

rknize

22 Apr 2013, 07:01

My "little pieces of plastic" comment was not in the best of taste, so I apologize for that. While I can't, personally, wrap my head around some of the activities and monies surrounding key caps and other tidbits, that doesn't mean they are not important to someone else. That is the heart of any hobby, I suppose. Indeed...most people type on free rubber dome and membrane keyboards. :)

Speaking as a member of the keyboard enthusiast community, I agree that this was all a bit shady. If the monetary value of my keyboards was important to me and I was heavily invested in vintage parts for them, I would obviously be quite upset to see the bubble burst on my investments. To later learn that someone knew what was coming and deliberately kept the secret from me, I would be all the more upset. However since I am a pack-rat at heart and a mostly-IBM guy, I don't really have this problem. ;)

Cherry keyboards are fun to dress up, but they just don't buckle my springs like a Model F. :geek:
webwit wrote:... so what is the response of the geekhack admin to the accusations of corruption of members of admin, over just pieces of plastic? :twisted: mintberryminuscrunch calls it an interesting moral dilemma further above. I would call it that over a real large amount of money. If we're talking tens or hundreds of dollars of profit, where the damage of items losing value was channeled to uninformed victims and members of the community, by design, I call it cheap thievery and swindling. Selling your soul, over just pieces of plastic. Personally I wouldn't sell my soul over, say, $100, by ripping off a member for $100.

So did Dan make it up or is it true?
I can only tell you what I know...and that is that I hadn't heard about any of this until it all came out in public. I can't speak for the dealings between Dan and other community members, as I am not privy to their inner circles. My exposure is exactly the same as yours. I honestly don't have a whole lot of spare time at my disposal to devote to keeping up with this kind of drama. In fact, I am generally repulsed by it.

You mention the admin team as a whole. We don't really talk about these kinds of things in those circles because it is not relevant. Most of us work on keeping GH running smoothly and trying to improve it as time allows. Obviously, individual admins are involved with various activities throughout the community of their own accord. I am in no place to speak for any of them. I am also unable to satisfactorily explain the majority of Dan's behavior over the past few months. Dan feels that there was some sort of conspiracy between him and other members of the community. Perhaps that is true. It didn't involve me or the admin staff as a whole, so there is little else that I can say about it from that perspective. If it did involve other members that were also admins, that is for them to sort out (or not...I don't really care that much). It doesn't affect the day-to-day tedium of being an admin.

Insinuating that "admins were involved" is an effective way to garner shock value, I suppose, especially in the context of a GH-bashing thread on this forum. While the status of an admin yields a certain amount of control and responsibility over the mechanical aspects of a community, I don't personally believe that it automatically grants them any special powers or status beyond that. Most of the admin effort goes (hopefully) unnoticed, as it should.

Greystoke

22 Apr 2013, 15:05

<Much snippage>
Indeed...most people type on free rubber dome and membrane keyboards.
Free?! I'll let you know I've spent real money on rubber dome keyboards! Okay, I didn't know they were rubber dome when I bid on them... :cry:

DanGWanG

24 Apr 2013, 01:06

rknize wrote:I can only tell you what I know...and that is that I hadn't heard about any of this until it all came out in public. I can't speak for the dealings between Dan and other community members, as I am not privy to their inner circles. My exposure is exactly the same as yours. I honestly don't have a whole lot of spare time at my disposal to devote to keeping up with this kind of drama. In fact, I am generally repulsed by it.
And yet, you are the only one 'dealing' with it. Where are your other mods/admins or have you been tasked with PR duty? If that's the case, it's your job to know the scene, am I right?
rknize wrote:If it did involve other members that were also admins, that is for them to sort out (or not...I don't really care that much). It doesn't affect the day-to-day tedium of being an admin.
If you didn't care that much, you wouldn't be here trying to defend your admins. I also heard reaper stepped down as admin. What a shame. So how long is mkawa going to hide behind you? Or are you simply his puppet? That wouldn't be the first time I've heard of him doing that...
rknize wrote:While the status of an admin yields a certain amount of control and responsibility over the mechanical aspects of a community, I don't personally believe that it automatically grants them any special powers or status beyond that. Most of the admin effort goes (hopefully) unnoticed, as it should.
You'll be shocked to hear this when I tell you because you must have been living under an admin rock. When reaper came into power, along with tsangan as moderators, they began shutting down threads, deleting relevant posts, and basically muting anyone disrupting GH. How many times have you seen complaints from people where posts just disappear? I complained many times to mkawa, and whether or not he was lying to me, there have been instances when deleted posts were unwarranted. Personal favoritism is one of tsangan's key characteristics. Don't forget that, he's admitted it himself.

dirge

24 Apr 2013, 08:37

DanGWanG wrote:How many times have you seen complaints from people where posts just disappear?
Yes, magicmeatball had LOADS of stuff removed to help him save face.

MagicMeatball

24 Apr 2013, 09:18

dirge wrote:
DanGWanG wrote:How many times have you seen complaints from people where posts just disappear?
Still talking shit, Dirge? Is there anything you are better at? Just curious....

Also, how many times do you want to cover this? Yawn.

RougeRambo

24 Apr 2013, 14:56

I dont follow all this drama, im here for the keyboards and other computing shizzle

but it seems it would be easier just to ban certain people....

phetto
Elite

24 Apr 2013, 15:54

RougeRambo wrote:I dont follow all this drama, im here for the keyboards and other computing shizzle

Why not just let people be who they are and just share keyboard knowlegde and experiences.

tinnie

24 Apr 2013, 15:58

phetto wrote:
RougeRambo wrote:I dont follow all this drama, im here for the keyboards and other computing shizzle

Why not just let people be who they are and just share keyboard knowlegde and experiences.
knowledge, not knowlegde ;)

rknize

24 Apr 2013, 19:44

DanGWanG wrote:Where are your other mods/admins or have you been tasked with PR duty?...If you didn't care that much, you wouldn't be here trying to defend your admins. I also heard reaper stepped down as admin. What a shame. So how long is mkawa going to hide behind you? Or are you simply his puppet? That wouldn't be the first time I've heard of him doing that...
I'm not defending the individual admins of GH, just myself. You have some interesting theories about how the admin process works and I was just trying to point out that it is not really like that. You have a beef with certain people and you are entitled to that. If they wish to defend themselves, that is up to them.
DanGWanG wrote:You'll be shocked to hear this when I tell you because you must have been living under an admin rock. When reaper came into power, along with tsangan as moderators, they began shutting down threads, deleting relevant posts, and basically muting anyone disrupting GH. How many times have you seen complaints from people where posts just disappear? I complained many times to mkawa, and whether or not he was lying to me, there have been instances when deleted posts were unwarranted. Personal favoritism is one of tsangan's key characteristics. Don't forget that, he's admitted it himself.
The staff has acknowledged that mistakes were made. The topic has been beaten to death. The forum rules have been changing thanks to the constructive (and some destructive) community discussions around these issues. That will be an ongoing process, I imagine. Internally, new guidelines are in place to try to make things more consistent. Some of the SMF admin quirks have been figured out. As new issues come to light, we will try to improve them. I know it can be difficult to let go of past events, but that is really up to you. The community will still move forward, hopefully for the better.

Good luck.

dirge

25 Apr 2013, 08:20

MagicMeatball wrote:
dirge wrote:
Still talking shit, Dirge? Is there anything you are better at? Just curious....

fucking hell, outta retirement? I was bringing up an example, you say I'm talking shit like I'm lying? Lotta neck there kid given the incident we're clearly talking about.

...annnyway GH admins let ripster back in please, it'll be more interesting than the clickclackwanksplat topics. :lol:

SmallFry

26 Apr 2013, 14:53

I don't know why MMB abandoned his old account in the endeavour of the Bro Caps account. There are several vendors with two accounts, one for their personal and one for their professional contributions to the site. But...that's a different topic entirely, and has also been (likely) beaten, explained and closed. I seldom come to DT, so any news that happened here I am quite ignorant of.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

01 May 2013, 05:32

MagicMeatball wrote:
dirge wrote:

wow dude, brazen

MagicMeatball

02 May 2013, 21:01

sth wrote:
wow dude, brazen
Considering this topic was covered to death, both parties settled the bills, and on top of that me providing every single detail through email conversations, photographs and paypal records - I would say the issue is dirge trying to stir more shit up as usual.

Have your opinion on the matter if you like, but it's over. Stop beating a dead horse.

Acanthophis

02 May 2013, 22:10

Everyone is entitled to beat any dead animal as long and as hard as s/he likes to.
Stop dictating what people should do.
Wait, what?

hoggy

03 May 2013, 08:38

If it's over, why are we still posting?

dirge

03 May 2013, 10:06

My opinion on what happened wasn't brought into it, like I said, mentioning an example of when geekhack admins deleted posts to hide events.

Get back to ya gobots ya prick :)

Return to “Off-topic”