Does this make me #2 ban on GH?

JBert

31 Jan 2013, 20:55

longweight wrote:There isn't anything shady about him he just wants to get a high price for his goods, that doesn't make him shady.
Let's try greedy then.

Also, I don't like how this topic is getting spammed. The forum is not the same as a chatroom, and I'd hate for it to spread.

baldgye

31 Jan 2013, 20:57

longweight wrote:There isn't anything shady about him he just wants to get a high price for his goods, that doesn't make him shady.
Thats one of the bigger problems on GH's marketplace though, people just make up there own prices and if your a new guy to the scene (like me) it's pretty hard to actually work out what stuff is worth... you tend to just go off the people with the highest post counts or who you see about and hope they wont rip you off...

Being able to actually talk to the seller about there prices makes it so more open and you can then judge for your self if its worth whats being asked.
...simply saying "if you dont like it dont buy it" is overly aggressive and not helpful to anyone other than the people trying to sell things at jacked up prices

DanGWanG

31 Jan 2013, 20:59

Then you've never read my thread from my subforum.

fossala
Elite +1

31 Jan 2013, 21:01

baldgye wrote:
Thats one of the bigger problems on GH's marketplace though, people just make up there own prices and if your a new guy to the scene (like me) it's pretty hard to actually work out what stuff is worth... you tend to just go off the people with the highest post counts or who you see about and hope they wont rip you off...

Being able to actually talk to the seller about there prices makes it so more open and you can then judge for your self if its worth whats being asked.
...simply saying "if you dont like it dont buy it" is overly aggressive and not helpful to anyone other than the people trying to sell things at jacked up prices
Very well said.

Acanthophis

31 Jan 2013, 21:17

fossala wrote:
baldgye wrote:Thats one of the bigger problems on GH's marketplace though, people just make up there own prices and if your a new guy to the scene (like me) it's pretty hard to actually work out what stuff is worth... you tend to just go off the people with the highest post counts or who you see about and hope they wont rip you off...

Very well said.
Agreed.

This "vote with your wallet" policy is a darn stupid one, imo.
People on GH keep saying that all the time.
Well, see where it lead to... :roll:

dirge

31 Jan 2013, 21:27

Yeah I thought that cactux sales thread went a bit mental a bit quick. Just read through it and damn that went south fast.

The unfortunate thing is people reading these types of posts will be worried about posting anything. These aggressive sellers seem to go on such an offensive when questioned. That nobody, other than someone with a year in and who know's what's somethings worth will be able to assess the worth.

The result is a minority of people having an advantage over the buying and selling of items across the forums. That's just the public stuff, we all know on gh that pm's are where a lot of the trade activity goes on.

I think gh needs a 360 on this. Who suffers and who gains?

longweight
key-bored

31 Jan 2013, 21:37

baldgye wrote:

I agree, if the comments are about what the original price was and why the price is higher / lower then great, I have no issue with that.

longweight
key-bored

31 Jan 2013, 21:37

DanGWanG wrote:
I don't think that I have ever visited your subforum.

Acanthophis

31 Jan 2013, 21:38

Shame, there were Asian boobs and lots of weed.
Not a great combo per se, but breasts and weed work for me.

longweight
key-bored

31 Jan 2013, 21:41

dirge wrote:Yeah I thought that cactux sales thread went a bit mental a bit quick. Just read through it and damn that went south fast.

The unfortunate thing is people reading these types of posts will be worried about posting anything. These aggressive sellers seem to go on such an offensive when questioned. That nobody, other than someone with a year in and who know's what's somethings worth will be able to assess the worth.

The result is a minority of people having an advantage over the buying and selling of items across the forums. That's just the public stuff, we all know on gh that pm's are where a lot of the trade activity goes on.

I think gh needs a 360 on this. Who suffers and who gains?
PM sales is definitely where it goes down on GH.

Open discussion would be great for newer members.

DanGWanG

31 Jan 2013, 21:44

Acanthophis wrote:Shame, there were Asian boobs and lots of weed.
Not a great combo per se, but breasts and weed work for me.
Made me reminisce about the good ol' days, when the community was a happy and fun place to be!

DanGWanG

31 Jan 2013, 21:45

longweight wrote:
DanGWanG wrote:
I don't think that I have ever visited your subforum.
Cactux admittedly (I had tons of quotes from him) ripped off other CC traders and buyers. In addition, he decided to troll me by running post scripts that spammed my subforum. He destroyed his own reputation, and since then, he never came back to GH unless it was to rip people off. And when I tried to complain....well see, that's where we are now =)

tsangan

31 Jan 2013, 21:46

Limmy wrote: I don't have any problem people squandering away their money. However, I have serious concern about people being deceived. Many do not know if a price is above usual market price or not. People who are knowingly and willingly paying extra to get what they want would buy them even if prices are more than usual prices. They will buy them even if other members say they are expensive. Then, why ban commenting on prices? This whole threadcrapping fobia is just silly to me.

I completely agree on DanGWang's points on thread crapping ban. What is so wrong about expressing one's opinion on fair prices? I just don't get the downside of them, therefore I do not see the need for the ban on such comments.
What is considered a fair usual market price? There are many things I feel that is overpriced by people that I feel people are deceived into paying but they are willing to so where does that stand? There hasn't been any bans on commenting on prices not sure where this came from but there has been warnings and deletion on posts that are offend the OP

There has been no thread crap ban so far, the only one close to that is demik and that was an ongoing issue with him and passionately expressing his opinions. Once again there has been no bans on people commenting on price, and those don't get moderated until the OP is asking for it.
Acanthophis wrote:I've done that occasionally, not on GH, though.
I see no harm in it. If the seller does, not my poop.
I would be happy if someone craps in my sale threads :/
You do not see any harm in it that does not mean others aren't

what you're not offended by does not mean others are not.
DanGWanG wrote:What I'm wondering is, why did it take my subtle threats of releasing information on people and banning me (and others) for you guys to step up and start discussing this topic? In my thread on GH, I barely got any communication from moderators and here we have 2 long replies and even some consideration of changing rules.

If GH moderators were adamant on listening to their community from the start, we wouldn't be here on another forum discussing rules.
You really think this is the first time this topic has been discussed? I think I have been discussing this issue for a good 6 months now. In your thread on GH I have not had the chance to read as I have been quite busy personally but when it comes to that I try to becareful how I post as I reflect on the entire admin team so I want to make sure what I post is correct before moving. This does not mean that what you said is not being discussed.

I am posting on this thread because I was called an "shitty moderator" I will admit now that I think about it that it is immature for me to have this amount of pride when you stated that, and I will reflect on that.
DanGWanG wrote:Before I got banned, the thread that I got banned for promoted threadcrapping. As you (the GH moderators) clearly saw, there was no harm in it and the OP (myself) still got what I was looking for.
That was not the only thing you were banned for. If you honestly think that is the ONLY thing then we can explain this further.
DanGWanG wrote:
hashbaz wrote:Can you give an example of a shady seller that was protected?
Try to look for my thread in my subforum regarding Cactux. Oh wait, you can't find it? Not surprised, reaper deleted it even though I asked if we could keep it. Reaper has messaged me many times about cooling it with Cactux. See a correlation there?

I do. The correlation I see is that reaper protected Cactux, even though he was a shady seller.
I still don't think cactux is a shady seller, he often makes trades, maybe some are in his favor sure, but in the end of the day if the other buyer/trader is willing then this comes back to the original point I made which was how do you determin what is a "fair price"

You personally make lots of trade yourself, can you say you never made a trade that was in your favor? I think everyone has at one point or another to a certain extent, these are all personal views in the end. I don't think it's as black and white as you put it to be where for example Cactux is bad and you are good.

What I would consider shady is someone selling with information held away, if the item is sold/traded is the exact same one that is advertised then I am not sure what else can be done.

baldgye wrote:

I agree that people make up crazy prices, and some people that are against these high prices also made crazy prices also...

Once again what is the medium we are comparing these prices to to figure out what is fair? All I hear is that we want fair prices in classifieds but where are these fair prices coming from?

Don't get me wrong I feel the same as you where I think a lot of the prices are overpriced but who am I to say its high when I see it selling not just on GH but on places like eBay also?

7bit

31 Jan 2013, 21:49

What about just market prices on a free market?

Or are you communists over at GH and want no free market?

baldgye

31 Jan 2013, 22:05

tsangan wrote:
baldgye wrote:

I agree that people make up crazy prices, and some people that are against these high prices also made crazy prices also...

Once again what is the medium we are comparing these prices to to figure out what is fair? All I hear is that we want fair prices in classifieds but where are these fair prices coming from?

Don't get me wrong I feel the same as you where I think a lot of the prices are overpriced but who am I to say its high when I see it selling not just on GH but on places like eBay also?
You seem to have misunderstood me.

The whole point of opening it up to 'thread crapping' means that people can ask and talk about the prices asked for certain things without fear of being banned.
I personally (as a new guy) havn't ever tried to ask anyone on there if they are asking too much and if why its so much etc becasue of the 'no thread crapping' stuff that hangs about, wether its mod'd or not, the fact it exists protects the seller from ripping people off without people going, well what is it your selling here.

Comparing GH's market place to something like eBay is utterly meaningless becasue of scale.
(for example as a metal gear solid collector) you can go onto eBay and find probally hundreds of people trying to sell of standard copies of MGS3 for over $100 becasue they claim its 'rare', but becasue there are so many other people selling the same thing you can work out what you think its worth paying for, even when the rarest items pop up now and then, the fact they pop up pretty often means you can garner some kind of value to it.
But with GH becasue the items that go up for sale are usually not very common (compared to how many copies of MGS3 where made etc) trying to work out in your own mind what something is worth for something even fairly common is very difficult, this is made even worse when things that are actually rare pop up... if your a new guy like me how are you suppose to tell the diffrence?
And if the thread is empty, has only the sellers input or has peopling replying with "pm'd" how does that help your new guy or indeed anyone without a year or so of experaince work out what something is worth without risking getting ripped off.

No one should be posting;
"well this mint gum mx cc is worth $50, anything more is a rip off and we'll close your auction/sale thread" etc etc... but people should be able to push and question the seller if indeed he/she is trying to rip them off.

That cactux thread is a perfect example of how someone who seemingly respectable and knowlegable (least he seemed that way to me from only using GH) is actually an overly aggressive and rather unpleasnt person who can't justify his prices and resorts to abuse...

(sorry if well off topic)

longweight
key-bored

31 Jan 2013, 22:08

There is the price check thread where people can check prices on items that they are thinking about purchasing.

baldgye

31 Jan 2013, 22:11

longweight wrote:There is the price check thread where people can check prices on items that they are thinking about purchasing.
yeah I know, I've tried to use it and it's not really helped me all that much

Acanthophis

31 Jan 2013, 22:11

tsangan wrote:
Acanthophis wrote:I've done that occasionally, not on GH, though.
I see no harm in it. If the seller does, not my poop.
I would be happy if someone craps in my sale threads :/
You do not see any harm in it that does not mean others aren't

what you're not offended by does not mean others are not.
Again, not my fucking poop!
Or as Stephen Fry said: "Well, so fucking what?"

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02dXAkxbyQg

And even if I would swear and heavily insult someone (please note we are on the internet), why is that person stupid enough to take it this seriously? Isn't it their fault 'it' gets to them?
Another example is trashtalk in the NBA. It happens like all the time, and sometimes player lose their cool and react to it. But guess who the villain will be? Exactly, not the trashtalker, but the 'weak' "victim" who overreacted...
Last edited by Acanthophis on 31 Jan 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

longweight
key-bored

31 Jan 2013, 22:12

baldgye wrote:
longweight wrote:There is the price check thread where people can check prices on items that they are thinking about purchasing.
yeah I know, I've tried to use it and it's not really helped me all that much
Fair enough, it's the only place to ask at the moment and I also haven't had much luck in there.

dirge

31 Jan 2013, 22:50

Acanthophis wrote:why is that person stupid enough to take it this seriously? Isn't it their fault 'it' gets to them?
Another example is trashtalk in the NBA. It happens like all the time, and sometimes player lose their cool and react to it. But guess who the villain will be? Exactly, not the trashtalker, but the 'weak' "victim" who overreacted...
Depends on what is said really. There are limits on what is socially acceptable, and I don't think the NBA should accept it. I think its wrong to pull in such an example. Or maybe it is, if we are competing against each other? However it's not a game where there's a winner or loser, its a community, self supporting. We should be helping each other. I'm not asking for a free ride here, or a handout. But if everyone pitches in their share we all come out a winner.

Btw while I like Stephen Fry, I'd ask him to try his example off on me and if I took exception to what he said I'd kick his fucking face off.

baldgye

31 Jan 2013, 22:53

dirge wrote:
Acanthophis wrote:why is that person stupid enough to take it this seriously? Isn't it their fault 'it' gets to them?
Depends on what is said really. There are limits on what is socially acceptable, and I don't think the NBA should accept it. I think its wrong to pull in such an example. Or maybe it is, if we are competing against each other? However it's not a game where there's a winner or loser, its a community, self supporting. We should be helping each other. I'm not asking for a free ride here, or a handout. But if everyone pitches in their share we all come out a winner.

Btw while I like Stephen Fry, I'd ask him to try his example off on me and if I took exception to what he said I'd kick his fucking face off.
So you're only allowed to offend people you can beat up?

DanGWanG

31 Jan 2013, 22:59

tsangan wrote: What is considered a fair usual market price? There are many things I feel that is overpriced by people that I feel people are deceived into paying but they are willing to so where does that stand? There hasn't been any bans on commenting on prices not sure where this came from but there has been warnings and deletion on posts that are offend the OP
It's funny that you would say that, because I recall us having a conversation when you asked me for current market pricing on some of your items. Then a day later, you posted the same questions in the 'What is my stuff worth' thread. Then a day after that, you listed all those items for significantly increased prices.
tsangan wrote:There has been no thread crap ban so far, the only one close to that is demik and that was an ongoing issue with him and passionately expressing his opinions. Once again there has been no bans on people commenting on price, and those don't get moderated until the OP is asking for it.
Sorry DanGWanG, you are banned from using this forum!
bating mod/admin, trolling and inviting other to threadcrap, setting bad example for others, etc.
This ban is not set to expire.

tsangan wrote: You really think this is the first time this topic has been discussed? I think I have been discussing this issue for a good 6 months now. In your thread on GH I have not had the chance to read as I have been quite busy personally but when it comes to that I try to becareful how I post as I reflect on the entire admin team so I want to make sure what I post is correct before moving. This does not mean that what you said is not being discussed.

I am posting on this thread because I was called an "shitty moderator" I will admit now that I think about it that it is immature for me to have this amount of pride when you stated that, and I will reflect on that.
So you are openly admitting that you do not nor have the time to adequately pay attention to the feedback from the forum you moderate.
tsangan wrote:That was not the only thing you were banned for. If you honestly think that is the ONLY thing then we can explain this further.
Please do. Typically, when moderators apply a ban, there is more explanation. You (the moderators) applied a ban on me in the same degrading manner as you delete my posts. No warning, no suspension, no detailed notification. That is another improvement I'd like to suggest.
tsangan wrote:I still don't think cactux is a shady seller, he often makes trades, maybe some are in his favor sure, but in the end of the day if the other buyer/trader is willing then this comes back to the original point I made which was how do you determin what is a "fair price"

You personally make lots of trade yourself, can you say you never made a trade that was in your favor? I think everyone has at one point or another to a certain extent, these are all personal views in the end. I don't think it's as black and white as you put it to be where for example Cactux is bad and you are good.

What I would consider shady is someone selling with information held away, if the item is sold/traded is the exact same one that is advertised then I am not sure what else can be done.
I see, so you side with reaper on this despite there being definitive proof of Cactux's exploits. No wonder you guys won't implement a ban list and continue to protect shady sellers. If you're not sure what else can be done, I'd suggest thoroughly reading through this thread and seeing what suggestions people have made. There are a lot of good points and could easily be implemented on GH if it weren't for all the moderation hesitation.
rknize from GH thread wrote:The moderators discussed the issue with Dan for a long time over many days. No one is quite sure why he suddenly decided to go on this war path of GH moderation theory. While there is nothing wrong with discussion such topics, his language made it clear that he needed a little break. We are, of course, paying attention to the discussion over moderation in the classifieds section. The current policies are mostly carried over from the previous incarnation of the site and those policies reflected iMav's desires at the time.
No one is sure? Ask mkawa, he called me mentally ill. it's incredibly offensive. If you guys really have no idea, I'd urge you to see how much of my feedback has actually been considered and integrated into the GH community despite getting positive feedback. I'd also urge you guys to look at how many people in this thread are considered ex-GHers for the same reasons I am upset about.

jcrouse

31 Jan 2013, 23:45

popcorn.jpg
popcorn.jpg (6.68 KiB) Viewed 4746 times

Acanthophis

31 Jan 2013, 23:49

rknize wrote:[...], his language made it clear that he needed a little break.
Don't know exactly what Dan said. Doesn't matter, though.
This is some of the poorest justification for a (temporarily) ban I ever saw.
It's like in a dictatorship where people get shot for protesting.

(This is just my current view of things, I don't know all the details. Just expressing my thoughts.)

damorgue

31 Jan 2013, 23:57

In a libertarian market economy, you have to accept that if there are constantly demand enough, and low enough supply, the price will increase as per the famous curve. Some are simply willing to pay when you aren't

I don't think most of the people who complain about the price in sales do so to keep potential unaware buyers from getting scammed. I think they do so because they aren't themselves wiling to pay that much. I'd venture a guess and state that in most of the cases when there are such complaints, the seller get several bids anyways because some are just willing to pay such hefty sums for the item in question. The buyers aren't getting scammed, they are aware of it and willing to pay such a large price tag knowing fully well that it is boosted by the skewed demand/supply.The people complaining are just the ones who wanted the item but doesn't want it bad enough to pay that much for it, and they vent their opinions in hopes that it will keep buyers away for the price to drop to the, according to them, acceptable level.

Yes, the item may have cost close to nothing to produce. Yes it may have cost less in the past. You may only be willing to pay that amount, but with an unregulated market, we have to accept that if there are people willing to pay more, we have to accept it and move on.

There may of course be exceptions where the person complaining actually wants to help the buyer and avoid people getting scammed.

Also, the question of allowing secret bids is a whole other matter as it is more of a "being able to stay anonymous" vs "risk that buyer inflates by fake bids". There are also most certainly cases where people do get a bit scammed, but I'd say that there are far less than the number of complaints would suggest.
Last edited by damorgue on 01 Feb 2013, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

7bit

01 Feb 2013, 00:02

jcrouse wrote:popcorn.jpg
:roll:

I wonder what would happen if some of you guys would be banned here and you would post a thread like this over at GH.
:lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2013, 00:08

It's a conspiracy, an attempt to win a clickclack wingnut this year in the dta *ping* award category, for getting "banned" (trololo) at gh. A grave misunderstanding, because in this category you will get a litster smiley key instead. Or the turd key. It hasn't been decided yet.
Spoiler:

el2k

01 Feb 2013, 00:10

damorgue wrote:In a libertarian market economy, you have to accept that if there are constantly demand enough, and low enough supply, the price will increase as per the famous curve. Some are simply willing to pay when you aren't

I don't think most of the people who complain about the price in sales do so to keep potential unaware buyers from getting scammed. I think they do so because they aren't themselves wiling to pay that much. I'd venture a guess and state that in most of the cases when there are such complaints, the seller get several bids anyways because some are just willing to pay such hefty sums for the item in question. The buyers aren't getting scammed, they are aware of it and willing to pay such a large price tag knowing fully well that it is boosted by the skewed demand/supply.The people complaining are just the ones who wanted the item but doesn't want it bad enough to pay that much for it, and they vent their opinions in hopes that it will keep buyers away for the price to drop to the, according to them, acceptable level.

Yes, the item may have cost close to nothing to produce. Yes it may have cost less in the past. You may only be willing to pay that amount, but with a unregulated market, we have to accept that if there are people willing to pay more, we have to accept it and move on.

There may of course be exceptions where the person complaining actually wants to help the buyer and avoid people getting scammed.

Also, the question of allowing secret bids is a whole other matter as it is more of a "being able to stay anonymous" vs "risk that buyer inflates by fake bids". There are also most certainly cases where people do get a bit scammed, but I'd say that there are far less than the number of complaints would suggest.
Pretty much aced it.

damorgue

01 Feb 2013, 00:25

el2k wrote:
damorgue wrote:wall of text
Pretty much aced it.
Thanks. I honestly didn't expect anyone to read it.

dirge

01 Feb 2013, 00:35

baldgye wrote: So you're only allowed to offend people you can beat up?
no mate, what that over educated idiot is saying that he doesn't understand when people are giving him fair warning.

If you say something that offends me, I'm telling you that if you say that again. Your on my fucking terms. It's a verbal contract, far better than no warning at all. Like a 2am kebab house.

Return to “Off-topic”