Problem with linux and keyboard

pheo

16 Oct 2013, 15:34

Hello,
I have put this here because it is not a direct keyboard thing. It is more of Linux. I have realized that from a random time my shift symbols doesnt work. At first I thought it was a thing of my filco but it happens to me with the cheap rubberdome that I had before. The thing is that when I push shift and any number it doesnt work it writes the number instead. I dont know where to look or what to do.
Some tips will be highly appreciated.
EDIT: To solve the problem I have to unplug an plug in again the keyboard.
Thanks.

lcs

16 Oct 2013, 17:45

Does that happen every time you try to use the shift? I suppose it also happens when you try to make capital letters?

Also, did you try the board on windows or another pc just to see if it's just a problem with your install? What distro are you using?

mintberryminuscrunch

16 Oct 2013, 18:04

capslock+number =number (opposed to windows where capslock + number = symbol)

pheo

16 Oct 2013, 18:31

lcs wrote:Does that happen every time you try to use the shift? I suppose it also happens when you try to make capital letters?

Also, did you try the board on windows or another pc just to see if it's just a problem with your install? What distro are you using?
No it does not happen everytime I use shift it is something random. I would say that it is something very likely a few hours after starting the computer. And long time after I unplug and I plug again.
I havent realized if it happens also with capital letters. The thing is that I always detect that is happening when I try to use a symbol from the numbers row. So I have assumed that it does not happens with letters or I havent realized.
I havent tried the boards on windows much because I try not to use windows. But with other board happens too.
I am using crunchbang based on debian.

Thank you very much.
mintberryminuscrunch wrote:capslock+number =number (opposed to windows where capslock + number = symbol)
I am not using capslock as I wrote on initial post it is when I use shift key.
I will try to be more aware if it happens too with letters or with symbol in the letters rows.

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2013, 18:50

Yet when it happens, it gets stuck? So you have to power cycle the keyboard to access symbols again. Sounds like a lock issue of some sort. Perhaps you're accidentally engaging a mode you are unaware of. The OS might have a key combination you're hitting every now and then.

bukulin

16 Oct 2013, 19:23

Maybe you can check the keyboard events with xev. If the left shift is pressed you should see something like this:

KeyPress event, serial 47, synthetic NO, window 0x1e00001,
root 0xb7, subw 0xe0002e, time 1570704, (71,114), root:(1238,813),
state 0x0, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

If the keyboard gets stucked, and no Xevent is displayed, then the problem should be somewhere between the xorg and the hardvare. (Keyboard, USB connector, USB HUB, kernel driver of USB hub, kernel driver of HID, evdev, xorg evdev driver)

7bit

16 Oct 2013, 20:18

run this:
xev | grep keycode &

Wheneber it happens, try out what X11 sees.

Do your keyboard connect via USB? Try a PS/2 keyboard.

Vierax

16 Oct 2013, 20:58

What a strange kb behaviour !
Is this happening in a particular program ? Only in gtk ones (gtk doesn't use xim by default) ?

7bit

16 Oct 2013, 21:04

It must be a hardware failure! Such things can't happen with Linux otherwise.
:ugeek:

Return to “Off-topic”