The Ultimate Flame Topic

hashbaz

09 Jul 2012, 21:20

fossala wrote:...it's better than cunts like you trying to undermine my opinions on economics because they don't fit into you capitalistic, I'm a cunt and want all the money views.
fossala wrote:I don't have a problem with you as such...
Need to get that mouth under control, son.

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 21:23

Since when was swearing so bad? It's only expression.

demik

09 Jul 2012, 21:24

It's whatever dude.

Didn't think you'd blow up like that over a question.

Next time either ignore me or be civil with your response. The insults are not needed. We aren't 12 years old.

hashbaz

09 Jul 2012, 21:25

fossala wrote:Since when was swearing so bad? It's only expression.
It's more the vitriol followed by profession of benevolence.

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 21:26

I just can't get why I get attacked constantly by you guys for not thinking capitalism is good. (I do know I'm to fault as well, I should calm down sometimes). But seriously, seems the hate for me has gone up a lot since I have left geekhack/geekhack going down.

WRXChris

09 Jul 2012, 21:33

I think it's your contradictory nature that people are upset about. On one hand, you hate capitalism when related to rare keyboard accessory markups. On the other hand, you adamantly support the greedy capitalist markup of the HHKB silent version. I think people are frustrated with this elitist attitude that you have, that says if you think it's worth a huge premium then it's okay, but if someone else does, then they're a big cunt and you treat them like garbage.

I agree with you that capitalism sucks, but this is the world we live in, and you must learn to play by the rules, otherwise you're going to be miserable and no one likes to hang around a miserable person. Complaining about it and name calling isn't going to change anything.

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 21:36

I expect companies to do it as it is the world we live in. But this isn't a company, it's a community. I don't think I'm being contradicting by having 2 views on 2 different situations.

MagicMeatball

09 Jul 2012, 21:40

fossala wrote:I expect companies to do it as it is the world we live in. But this isn't a company, it's a community. I don't think I'm being contradicting by having 2 views on 2 different situations.
It's entirely possible to express your views sans being a dick about it. I myself have from time to time, expressed myself in a pretty rude manner. Just takes some practice :D

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 21:42

I don't get this, people attacked me in this thread. I stuck up for myself and I'm the bad guy?...

JBert

09 Jul 2012, 21:45

MagicMeatball wrote:I myself have from time to time, expressed myself in a pretty rude manner. Just takes some practice :D
I second that notion, it takes years of practice to explain a valid point in a way only a dick could put it and still get away with it.

dirge

09 Jul 2012, 21:51

Think you guys should chill out, I think the argument that as fossala doesn't like community members ripping each other off, but owns an expensive keyboard doesn't hold a lot of weight.

The company will have had the boards made and had an estimate on what they need to sell them at.

But us lot, as a community, should try and support each other a bit better. Scalping rare items at crazy prices, is a pretty shit thing to do.

TexasFlood

09 Jul 2012, 21:52

Capitalism isn't so much about pricing, more about the creation of goods (such as cool keyboards) or services for profit. The amount of profit has more to do with supply & demand which is more fundamental than any economic system. Capitalism isn't perfect, nothing is. I wonder how many folks who complain about capitalism are all too happy to accept the benefits then act like it's so terrible when not getting something they want. As Sir Winston Churchill said of democracy, "It is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." Perhaps if you don't like capitalism, rather than say negative things about it, say some positive things about the economic system you prefer, which would be....?

WRXChris

09 Jul 2012, 21:53

You're right about that fossala, and the greedy capitalists definitely are hurting GH; you're 100% correct about that, and I'm sorry that they've moved here in the meantime. Fortunately, there is still a pretty strong community of contributors like demik for example, who only sell stuff at fair value and also contribute a lot of time and effort to the community by answering questions and running GBs. Also MagicMeatball, he for instance offers his soldering services at great prices using premium equipment and does a stellar job. The frustration is coming from the fact that you're ignoring the good, and lumping us all with the worst of GH.

I decided to jump in here because I used to be a surly internet troll who would vent my frustrations all over the internet, until I realized that it only makes things worse. The world is always going to be fucked up, there are always going to be greedy people out for themselves fucking over other community members; I've learned to ignore the bullshit and focus on the good. It's the only way to achieve happiness in a world filled with greed and hate. :)

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 22:00

I understand people saying just ignore it but it makes me really unhappy. I don't like people getting screwed. I'm sad that I have to live in a world that doesn't work the way I like, I have to live with this everyday.

demik

09 Jul 2012, 22:07

fossala wrote:I just can't get why I get attacked constantly by you guys for not thinking capitalism is good. (I do know I'm to fault as well, I should calm down sometimes). But seriously, seems the hate for me has gone up a lot since I have left geekhack/geekhack going down.
It's simple. You are extremely vocal (to a point of being rude) about your views. You constantly attack people (and insult them) when stuff doesn't go how you think it should go.

Add that to the elitist attitude you seem to have gotten as soon as you switched forums, and you really wonder why people are "attacking you"?

It's funny, certain DT members complain about how rude GHers are (Mainly you and Deathadder) but you don't see how fucking rude both of you have been from the beginning. Yes, GH has it's bad apples, but both of you LOVE to lump everybody together.

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 22:10

I don't want this to turn into another DTvsGH thread but the reason I got annoyed was because of the classifieds.

I left GH because of what is now happening here. I just ended up arguing all the time and that is not how I enjoy spending my time.

kint

09 Jul 2012, 22:10

fossala wrote:I understand people saying just ignore it but it makes me really unhappy. I don't like people getting screwed. I'm sad that I have to live in a world that doesn't work the way I like, I have to live with this everyday.
I understand your point of view and the anger associated with it.
Live by it and teach people about it so their eyes open and they can change.
The best way to teach people is not insulting them before you have delivered the message ;)

itlnstln

09 Jul 2012, 22:21

Jesus. I remember why I left GH.

I hope it opens back up soon. I can't believe Webwit was so nice to you guys.

zzspectrez

09 Jul 2012, 22:26

I may be wrong, but I believe in the UK and some other english speaking countries the use of the word "cunt" is used more freely.

In the US, it is not used often in everyday cursing unless you are looking for a fist fight. my 2 cents.

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 22:27

zzspectrez wrote:
I may be wrong, but I believe in the UK and some other english speaking countries the use of the word "cunt" is used more freely.

In the US, it is not used often in everyday cursing unless you are looking for a fist fight. my 2 cents.
It's not liked over here, but I still use it as I can't see how a single word can offend so much. It's just formation of my mouth while exhaling.

rknize

09 Jul 2012, 22:34

The whole point of such words is to offend. That is the reason they exist.
Last edited by rknize on 09 Jul 2012, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

JBert

09 Jul 2012, 22:34

fossala wrote:... It's not liked over here, but I still use it as I can't see how a single word can offend so much. It's just formation of my mouth while exhaling.
Hah, getting meta-physical is not getting you out of this. Anything can offend, so just be careful of what you say or post.

TexasFlood

09 Jul 2012, 22:35

Unless it is customary with a group who recognize it as such, it is usually interpreted as a sign of disrespect and is not likely to have a positive effect on those you direct it to. The fact that some abuse it over the Internet or phone more than in person just shows in which scenarios one can get one's ass kicked for it, or not.

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 22:38

If I think someone is wrong I will tell them. If they choose to hit me, they better have there running shoes on.

ripster

09 Jul 2012, 22:40

No stars when I do this:
Shit
Piss
Fuck
Cunt
Cocksucker
Motherfucker
Tits

It's like a forum for ADULTS!

TexasFlood

09 Jul 2012, 22:41

George Carlin approved!

DanGWanG

09 Jul 2012, 22:42

You could choose to use less derogatory words when telling someone they are wrong. That is the difference between using swear words (especially c*nt, which yes, it is probably the worst word you could use to offend someone in the US) and civilly speaking to someone.

dirge

09 Jul 2012, 22:42

fossala wrote:If I think someone is wrong I will tell them. If they choose to hit me, they better have there running shoes on.
Exactly why the internet can be so annoying. Disagreements in real life never happen. You don't want to annoy a 16 stone Geordie. :)

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 22:45

I'm only a small lad, just grew up in Southend so I had to learn how to fight. Being a goth in my teens probably didn't help...
Edit: I say small, I'm 5ft 10 and 12 stone (all the weight in my legs though (cycling)).

MagicMeatball

09 Jul 2012, 22:48

fossala wrote:Being a goth in my teens
That explains everything. No further discussion required at this point.

:D

Return to “Off-topic”