Hacker keyboard guy

webwit
Wild Duck

07 May 2014, 00:58

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... tells-all/
Helkowski is also a self-described computer keyboard aficionado. At one point, he had a collection of more than 35 keyboards, starting with a Northgate OmniKey that he picked up at a yard sale for $10. When the FBI raided his house, the agents had difficulty dealing with his current preferred keyboard—a Japanese keyboard with an English alphabet that he bought in the Akhibara district of Tokyo. The characters for each key are printed on the front of the key instead of its top, and its symbols don’t properly map to US standards.
Anyone we know? :mrgreen:

ne0phyte
Toast.

07 May 2014, 01:12

Haha who knows.
When the FBI raided his house, the agents had difficulty dealing with his current preferred keyboard
I wouldn't let them (and they probably couldn't) use my keyboard. They should bring their own!

Muirium
µ

07 May 2014, 01:13

Security through keyboard obscurity…

Eszett

07 May 2014, 01:26

A red escape key is a gewgaw. How about a “raid”-Key, which erases the harddisk securely, while police officers are approaching to your house? Then, the red color would fit that button.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 May 2014, 01:33

Muirium wrote:Security through keyboard obscurity…
Works for me when I'm on a job with my HHKB. Blank black keys, red clickclack escape. No one dares to touch it. But when someone does, Colemak does the trick anyway.

Findecanor

07 May 2014, 01:45

The keyboard should be irrelevant. If you do computer forensics, you don't boot he suspect's computer and use his keyboard. You remove the harddrives, copy their contents and then run your searches on your local copy.

Muirium
µ

07 May 2014, 02:21

The feds can be incompetent too. The main reason I don't cower too deeply in fear at all this NSA stuff. Sure, they have the power. But they're just dudes, too. With dickhead managers, braindead training, idiot objectives, dodgy backups, random changes of direction and HR…

Poor bastards.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 May 2014, 02:23

Also, if you have a weird keyboard, you are clearly a terrorist. The computer might explode.

Muirium
µ

07 May 2014, 02:36

Keycap shrapnel. That's why we like thick caps so much.

scottc

07 May 2014, 09:01

That Northgate Omnikey link goes to our wiki. :D Maybe we should add a section:
Known to be used by notorious hacker Helkowski.

Grendel

07 May 2014, 09:27

Eszett wrote:A red escape key is a gewgaw. How about a “raid”-Key, which erases the harddisk securely, while police officers are approaching to your house? Then, the red color would fit that button.
No need really. TrueCrypt FTW :D

Eszett

07 May 2014, 19:01

I know and approve TrueCrypt, the raid-key was merely a joke.

fifted

07 May 2014, 20:07

Raid key => TrueCrypt dismount. Done!

Hmm, I guess my Ctrl+Alt+D combo already is a raid key...

Miko

07 May 2014, 21:09

TrueCrypt is not secure enough for the truly paranoid. The key is stored in RAM and can be extracted. There is Tresor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRESOR) that avoids this by using debug registers and not RAM as storage for the key.

On could use a Raid Key, that does 1) Make the filesystems sync 2) powers down the PC 3) Reboots into memtest to erase the RAM.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 May 2014, 21:37

TrueCrypt + Japanese keyboard ftw.

IvanIvanovich

10 May 2014, 15:42

Haha. Use only SSD and have a macro that does ata secure erase... takes only a moment and everything is 100% gone forever. As for keyboards...
DSC01763.JPG
DSC01763.JPG (426.86 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
I would guess mixing some different language sets should make it FBI proof. :lol:

Return to “Off-topic”