The Deskthority Cooking Thread

User avatar
cookie

13 Jun 2017, 17:02

Ohh I read "The Deskthority Cookie Thread"

Image

--->COOKING<---

Image

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Jun 2017, 17:06

g84xd.jpg
g84xd.jpg (60.92 KiB) Viewed 2275 times

User avatar
cookie

13 Jun 2017, 17:26

Image

But just to come back on topic and actually contributing to this amazing thread, check out what my dad sent me... I salute his bossyness roasting chickens in front of his chimney
Attachments
chicken.jpg
chicken.jpg (126.32 KiB) Viewed 2266 times

mr_a500

13 Jun 2017, 17:30

seebart wrote: Image
Ah, that reminds me of my old "IBM 5155 monster".
cookie-monster.jpg
cookie wrote: But just to come back on topic and actually contributing to this amazing thread, check out what my dad sent me... I salute his bossyness roasting chickens in front of his chimney
Hey, I've got to try that. The chicken will probably catch on fire and I'll have to smash it through my window to avoid burning down the house.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Jun 2017, 17:39

mr_a500 wrote: Hey, I've got to try that. The chicken will probably catch on fire and I'll have to smash it through my window to avoid burning down the house.
Don't try that.
suspect.jpg
suspect.jpg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 2257 times

User avatar
cookie

13 Jun 2017, 17:45

According to my dad it was just amazing, as you can see the chickens are in front of the fireplace so that they will be slowly cooked and no danger of burning.

If I had a chimney, I'd do this myself :)

User avatar
Chyros

13 Jun 2017, 18:00

andrewjoy wrote: its one of the only 2 cures to vegetableism.
A blight to be wiped out for sure.

mr_a500

13 Jun 2017, 19:03

My roast chicken turns out OK in the oven...
Roast chicken2.JPG
Roast chicken2.JPG (507.61 KiB) Viewed 641 times
...but I've noticed it's nowhere near as good as it used to be decades ago. The chickens themselves have changed. The skin used to be much thicker and crispier. I suspect that all this "low fat" nonsense has caused producers to breed huge lean birds with thin skins. (..that's my theory, anyway)
Last edited by mr_a500 on 09 Oct 2019, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cookie

14 Jun 2017, 10:45

@mr_a500 I think you lack a chimney :) The picture is nice btw. I like it!

I've done some chicken with my gas grill, Hickory Smoke Box and water bowl. It was amazingly moist and tasty but I never had a nice crust.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Jun 2017, 10:48

cookie wrote: @mr_a500 I think you lack a chimney :) The picture is nice btw. I like it!

I've done some chicken with my gas grill, Hickory Smoke Box and water bowl. It was amazingly moist and tasty but I never had a nice crust.
I would have thought you eat cookies all day. :mrgreen:

User avatar
cookie

14 Jun 2017, 10:51

seebart wrote: I would have thought you eat cookies all day. :mrgreen:
I actually rarely eat them.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Jun 2017, 10:53

cookie wrote:
seebart wrote: I would have thought you eat cookies all day. :mrgreen:
I actually rarely eat them.
Aww...
RyM3PzQ27w-10.png
RyM3PzQ27w-10.png (26.56 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

User avatar
vometia
irritant

14 Jun 2017, 11:08

mr_a500 wrote: I don't understand the point of casserole either.
I like casseroles. Probably as they're quite easy: chuck stuff in big pot, chuck pot in oven, forget about it for a few hours, come back and eat tasty stuff. It's also a handy way of getting myself to eat some vegetables.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Jun 2017, 11:15

vometia wrote:
mr_a500 wrote: I don't understand the point of casserole either.
I like casseroles. Probably as they're quite easy: chuck stuff in big pot, chuck pot in oven, forget about it for a few hours, come back and eat tasty stuff. It's also a handy way of getting myself to eat some vegetables.
I love casseroles. Pasta, potato vegetable variations you name it the options are great.

mr_a500

14 Jun 2017, 13:26

cookie wrote: @mr_a500 I think you lack a chimney :)
No, I've got two chimneys - one for the fireplace, one for the wood burning stove.

I think you mean fireplace cooking. Cooking with a chimney would look like this:
homer cooking.jpg

User avatar
vometia
irritant

15 Jun 2017, 16:04

seebart wrote: I love casseroles. Pasta, potato vegetable variations you name it the options are great.
Indeed. Today's is a lazy-arse curry using fairly typical ingredients that the big Le Creuset seems to like (today's are chicken thighs, onions, spring onions, carrots, stock, tinned tomatoes, bell peppers) and a jar of curry sauce, because sometimes life's too short to dry roast and grind a bunch of spices myself; and besides which, I'm not terribly skilled at doing it so the flavour balance is never quite right. I'm using a Loyd Grossman sauce, which I randomly like compared to the usual suspects I find in Sainsbury's. It's either balti or bhuna, I forget which. I suspect the former as the house doesn't particularly smell of fenugreek which seems to be a signature thing in his bhuna sauce.

I have been a bit lazy and unadventurous lately though, I basically use the same ingredients when I'm doing Random Casserole™ except if it's lamb it gets tomatoes and if it's chicken it gets white wine. And whatever else I find lying around that needs eating.

mr_a500

15 Jun 2017, 16:14

I think onions are evil and should be wiped off the Earth using an aggressive bombing campaign.

I'm sure there are some onions in the vindaloo paste I use, but they've been boiled to death with so many spices that I can't tell.

User avatar
vometia
irritant

15 Jun 2017, 16:26

I love onions, though I'm less partial to raw onions. I used to be able to cut them with impunity thanks to my old contacts but my new permeable ones don't afford the same protection so I suffer the same as everyone else.

I still wish I could figure out the ingredients in the classic curry-house vindaloo: it's not a particularly complicated flavour but it's one I really like and something that's evaded my own experimentation and which the shop-bought stuff tastes nothing like.

One thing I've never particularly looked into is the flavour that chillies impart: easy to overlook when I'm using birds-eye chillies which just seem to taste of hot and nothing else, but when I think about Scotch Bonnets and their very fruity flavour and jalapeños which are definitely their own thing there could be something in it. I'm probably over-complicating the spice mix, though: I know it has cassia bark and star anise in it because I've found bits of them, but beyond that I'm stumped.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Jun 2017, 16:32

vometia wrote:
seebart wrote: I love casseroles. Pasta, potato vegetable variations you name it the options are great.
Indeed. Today's is a lazy-arse curry using fairly typical ingredients that the big Le Creuset seems to like (today's are chicken thighs, onions, spring onions, carrots, stock, tinned tomatoes, bell peppers) and a jar of curry sauce, because sometimes life's too short to dry roast and grind a bunch of spices myself; and besides which, I'm not terribly skilled at doing it so the flavour balance is never quite right. I'm using a Loyd Grossman sauce, which I randomly like compared to the usual suspects I find in Sainsbury's. It's either balti or bhuna, I forget which. I suspect the former as the house doesn't particularly smell of fenugreek which seems to be a signature thing in his bhuna sauce.

I have been a bit lazy and unadventurous lately though, I basically use the same ingredients when I'm doing Random Casserole™ except if it's lamb it gets tomatoes and if it's chicken it gets white wine. And whatever else I find lying around that needs eating.
Sounds great I need to do more casseroles again with the hot weather we've been having here I'm more on a salad base right now.

mr_a500

15 Jun 2017, 16:33

vometia wrote: I still wish I could figure out the ingredients in the classic curry-house vindaloo: it's not a particularly complicated flavour but it's one I really like and something that's evaded my own experimentation and which the shop-bought stuff tastes nothing like.
An Indian girl once gave me a recipe for home made vindaloo sauce, but it involved grinding up so many strange and unavailable spices, that I just gave up and went with the store bought stuff. (which comes from the UK, oddly enough)
vindaloo paste.png
(I use the paste, not the sauce)
Last edited by mr_a500 on 15 Jun 2017, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Jun 2017, 16:36

mr_a500 wrote:
vometia wrote: I still wish I could figure out the ingredients in the classic curry-house vindaloo: it's not a particularly complicated flavour but it's one I really like and something that's evaded my own experimentation and which the shop-bought stuff tastes nothing like.
An Indian girl once gave me a recipe for home made vindaloo sauce, but it involved grinding up so many strange and unavailable spices, that I just gave up and went with the store bought stuff. (which comes from the UK, oddly enough)
Yeah making your own curry's is pretty elaborate, the stuff I order is usually from the Netherlands.

User avatar
cookie

16 Jun 2017, 11:10

mr_a500 wrote: I think onions are evil and should be wiped off the Earth using an aggressive bombing campaign.

I'm sure there are some onions in the vindaloo paste I use, but they've been boiled to death with so many spices that I can't tell.
Onions are the essence of life and you wan't to bomb them all? For what reason if I may ask?
If it's because you shoot tears out your eyes while cutting, then using a sharp knife will help.

mr_a500

16 Jun 2017, 11:53

cookie wrote: Onions are the essence of life and you wan't to bomb them all? For what reason if I may ask?
If it's because you shoot tears out your eyes while cutting, then using a sharp knife will help.
What? I don't care about tears. (I cry when I run out of pizza.)

No, I hate the taste. It makes me sick. I first found out when I was young and somebody gave me a steak with onions on it. At the time, I loved steak, but this steak made me almost vomit. I couldn't figure out why until I realized it was the onions that made me want to puke. From then on, onions became my enemy. I'll kill them if they ever try to do that to me again! Those bastards! :x
Last edited by mr_a500 on 16 Jun 2017, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Jun 2017, 12:01

grumpy-love-onions_o_1528887.jpg
grumpy-love-onions_o_1528887.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
mr_a500 wrote:
vometia wrote: (I use the paste, not the sauce)
Same product I use. Good stuff. May contain onions. :mrgreen:
Last edited by seebart on 16 Jun 2017, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Slom

16 Jun 2017, 12:04

mr_a500 wrote: I've already perfected 1950's rotary phones, 1960's lava lamps & reel to reel, 1970's portable B&W TV & tape, 1980's colour TV & VCR. Things after the 80's don't really interest me - except maybe watches. (...if they've got 60's or 70's styling)
I hope you did not use onions from the 70s and 80s ...
Last edited by Slom on 16 Jun 2017, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Jun 2017, 12:06

Slom wrote: I hope you do not use onions from the 70s and 80s ...
Generally fresh fruits and vegetables would be advisable slom ! :? :roll:

User avatar
micrex22

02 Jul 2017, 20:51

mr_a500 wrote: I think onions are evil and should be wiped off the Earth using an aggressive bombing campaign.

I'm sure there are some onions in the vindaloo paste I use, but they've been boiled to death with so many spices that I can't tell.
There seem to be a fair amount of controversial culinary vegetables; which given any amount of people in a room there's bound to be a few who have some contestation, they would be:
  1. Tomatoes
  2. Onions
  3. Pickles (Cucumber)
  4. Mushrooms
  5. Olives
I mean... technically onions are part of the nightshade family and toxic (like a lot of vegetables--and only few mammals can eat them), but I'm fairly partial to them. Coincidentally I also like rhubarb* and cocoa :p

*I really despite rhubarb and strawberry... I've always had rhubarb by itself in pastries and cakes traditionally, and I find the over-sugary strawberry flavour overpowers the awesome tart rhubarb. Oh well...

I'm okay with nice crunchy pickles, but I can't say I enjoy the ones in fast food burgers where you bite down on a soggy-sour piece of matter. Although Mr_A500 would highly discourage the consumption of fast food burgers (and yeah, I could rattle off all of the bad ingredients in them too, like tartrazine in the buns, BHT, sodium benzoate etc). Don't know what effects dimethylpolysiloxane has, but that's in many french fries for an anti-foaming agent.

Actually the worst thing about fried potato (like french fries) would be high concentration of acrylamides. Apparently both the phenomenon and affects of acrylamides aren't fully understood, however.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Jul 2017, 21:01

In comparison to fried potatos it is proven that onions are healthy, in moderate quantities of course. None of those listed are "controversial culinary vegetables" IMO. Sure, too much of anything can get unhealthy. I love burgers and french fries, just not the ones from those well known FF chains.

User avatar
micrex22

05 Jul 2017, 03:40

seebart wrote: In comparison to fried potatos it is proven that onions are healthy, in moderate quantities of course. None of those listed are "controversial culinary vegetables" IMO. Sure, too much of anything can get unhealthy. I love burgers and french fries, just not the ones from those well known FF chains.
I mean 'controversial' for the palate of many people I know ;)

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Jul 2017, 12:08

micrex22 wrote:
seebart wrote: In comparison to fried potatos it is proven that onions are healthy, in moderate quantities of course. None of those listed are "controversial culinary vegetables" IMO. Sure, too much of anything can get unhealthy. I love burgers and french fries, just not the ones from those well known FF chains.
I mean 'controversial' for the palate of many people I know ;)
Yes, that makes more sense. Again: in the right quantities not so "bad".

Post Reply

Return to “Off-topic”