Watch Photo Thread

Belfong

06 Jul 2015, 12:18

Is this the thread to post my new Pebble Time? Are there are DT member using Pebble?

bhtooefr

06 Jul 2015, 12:20

I'm wearing a (beat up, black) Pebble Kickstarter Edition (backer #3643) right now, and my silver Time Steel Champion Kickstarter Backer edition (backer #88480 - yeah, I got in late, but I jumped on a July shipping slot that opened up) should be shipping this month.

Belfong

06 Jul 2015, 12:23

Cool. This is my first Pebble. Pretty pleased with it, except, well, it's kinda dimmed.. and the font is too small.. other than that, it's a great watch!

Belfong

06 Jul 2015, 12:25

Very beautiful DIN watch face - for a peek of time during boring meetings.

Using Jawbone's Up app to track my activities.

Music app and Apple Music - heaven!

scottc

06 Jul 2015, 12:34

Belfong wrote: Is this the thread to post my new Pebble Time? Are there are DT member using Pebble?
Proud Steel user here! I love the thing. :)

andrewjoy

06 Jul 2015, 12:57

Looks good.

However i wish someone would make a smaller smart watch with a sharp memory LCD, they are super low power and have amazing contrast. They do a mirrored one as well that looks very cool.

http://www.sharpmemorylcd.com/

bhtooefr

06 Jul 2015, 13:05

The Pebble Time (including Steel) is using a Japan Display color memory LCD that was designed for Garmin, but fabricated without the pixels that Pebble isn't using (and that inactive area hidden by the bezel).

The original Pebble (including Steel) uses this Sharp part: http://www.sharpmemorylcd.com/1-26-inch-memory-lcd.html

And, for the mirrored one, Meta Watch uses that, although my experience with a Meta Watch was that they laid on the bluetooth radio way too much (basically treating the watch as a remote framebuffer), and it resulted in far worse performance and battery life than running things locally on the watch.

And, because this is a photo thread...

Plenty readable in real life, and the backlight's a wrist flick away. I use one of the Jawbone Up faces normally, though - if the face isn't displaying, steps don't reliably make it to the Jawbone Up service, and then your daily step count in the phone app is off. (I guess the watchface doesn't ensure that the service actually received steps, so if it started but failed, you lose those steps.)

And that's what it looks like when the backlight's on.
Last edited by bhtooefr on 06 Jul 2015, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Belfong

06 Jul 2015, 13:06

I thought the Pebble Time is using Sharp's Memory LCD? I could be wrong but I read this in the Pebble forum.

I've seen the Pebble Steel in person. Very nice. The Pebble Time Steel, though, looks gawky with its huge bezel.

Halvar

06 Jul 2015, 13:15

I'm thinking about getting a 1st gen Pebble or Pebble steel. A coworker of mine is very happy with his, and reading what you wrote here supports it, too.

Pebble Time seems too expensive to me for what it does, and from what I heard the display isn't really great.

bhtooefr

06 Jul 2015, 13:16

It's not, it's using a JDI LPM012A220A, per the source code used for Pebble's emulator of the hardware: https://github.com/pebble/qemu/blob/mas ... _display.c

http://www.j-display.com/product/pdf/LPM014T262C_v1.pdf is the panel that that's based on.

andrewjoy

06 Jul 2015, 13:17

it was the mirror one i wanted yeh, they look so cool and the contrast is amazing.

The LCD i have seen tho is mirrored and white not mirrored and back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoC818Mxy4

i think that would look amazing as a watch

bhtooefr

06 Jul 2015, 13:20

http://meta.watch/collections/smartwatch-all

Either the Frame or Strata should have that panel.

And, from what I remember, it really depends on what light you're in. Both colors - white and black - are mirrored, really, it's just they're differently mirrored, so the angle affects which color is the mirrored one.

mr_a500

06 Jul 2015, 22:22

Hey bhtooefr, I see you're also showing off your IBM 5155 in the background. :D

Maybe I should re-take my watch photos, each watch on a different keyboard.
(now which watch looks best on which keyboard...)

lolpes

10 Jul 2015, 12:04

This is my daily driver ;)

bhtooefr

10 Jul 2015, 12:39

Hmm, so a leather NATO does work on that watch. I was wondering about that on my SNK807 (the blue version), and ended up going with a conventional strap.

lolpes

10 Jul 2015, 19:29

O don't think you can tell, or its the pics, but this is the blue version xD and it goes awesome with that color is strap :) got it from natostrapco when they had a massive sale for some of their limited edition straps ;)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Jul 2015, 17:34

Seiko World Time automatic from the 1970's. Not the original strap.

zts

22 Jul 2015, 19:04

anybody has any (brand) recommendations for a watch winder? ... maybe for 3 units (no storage/display space necessary). I had a rather old, no-brand single unit winder, but it unceremoniously died a few weeks ago ... so looking for a new one.

mr_a500

14 Jun 2017, 15:13

I thought I'd go for some classic 60's style.
watch.JPG
(not my photo)

I've also got a nice 70's Seiko "Lord Matic" (nice name) coming so I'll have classic 70's style too.
watch2.JPG
The 80's were digital and the 90's sucked, so I don't need any more of those eras. :P
Last edited by mr_a500 on 16 Nov 2020, 14:07, edited 2 times in total.

mr_a500

14 Jun 2017, 16:01

seebart wrote: Seiko World Time automatic from the 1970's. Not the original strap.
That watch has a 70's feel to it. I never liked world time watches though. Canada has 6 time zones, yet not one Canadian city name is used. 4 time zones use American city names, 1 is a city in Chile and 1 time zone is ignored - because it's a half-hour time zone.

Bloody hell, it was a Canadian* who invented time zones.
(*Scottish born)

cookie

15 Jun 2017, 10:19

I've just recently started to wear watches again.
My girlfriends dad gave this one to me 2 years ago and I love it!

I have some other watches at home but rarely use them anymore.
The seiko is my main watch and it's very accurate and works just flawless for an automatic watch.

mr_a500

15 Jun 2017, 16:10

But.. what did you do with your old watch?

Did you sell it?

seebart

15 Jun 2017, 17:00

mr_a500 wrote:
seebart wrote: Seiko World Time automatic from the 1970's. Not the original strap.
That watch has a 70's feel to it.
It is indeed from the 1970's, I rarely read the world time but I like the looks of it.
IMG_20170524_133102.jpg
IMG_20170524_133102.jpg (858.17 KiB) Viewed 21897 times

mr_a500

15 Jun 2017, 17:33

In that shot, it looks even better. Nice.

I'd be opening it up, scratching the US cities off and carefully painting Canadian ones in. ;)

seebart

15 Jun 2017, 17:39

mr_a500 wrote: I'd be opening it up, scratching the US cities off and carefully painting Canadian ones in. ;)
How about the Marathon Maple Leaf SAR then?
MAPLE1LARGE.jpg
MAPLE1LARGE.jpg (62.41 KiB) Viewed 21881 times
Last edited by seebart on 15 Jun 2017, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

mr_a500

15 Jun 2017, 17:53

I've got nothing against the American people (..most of them), many of which are very nice and can be (almost) as nice as Canadians.

No, I don't like American big business and American government. Just saying that has probably caused me to be entered into a database of terror suspects and I've probably been targeted for termination. Thanks a lot, seebart!

There are no Canadian watches. Canada doesn't make anything anymore. (...those damn Americans! Oops I'm starting up again. :mrgreen: )

seebart

15 Jun 2017, 17:55

OK I seebarted that comment sorry. You'll be fine. :roll: :P

But at least it's got the maple leaf on it! :mrgreen:

mr_a500

15 Jun 2017, 17:57

Oh, you seebarted again. Stop seebarting!

When I see a maple leaf on something these days, I automatically think it's made in China. Also, when I see the word "Canada" in a company name, I know it's a foreign company.

seebart

15 Jun 2017, 18:01

Right, that reminds me there are a bunch of old German brands where the actual companies don't even exist anymore but products with these brand names are being sold like nothing ever happened.
mr_a500 wrote: Oh, you seebarted again. Stop seebarting!
In this case only for your own good. :lol:

andrewjoy

16 Jun 2017, 11:20

cookie wrote: I've just recently started to wear watches again.
My girlfriends dad gave this one to me 2 years ago and I love it!

I have some other watches at home but rarely use them anymore.
The seiko is my main watch and it's very accurate and works just flawless for an automatic watch.

That is fucking amazing.

DO you know if that model comes in a matte silver ?

Return to “Off-topic”