New year's resolutions [2015]

andrewjoy

31 Dec 2014, 19:00

matt3o wrote: Another dream? Build a retro-computer museum... one can dream, right?!
one can indeed dream however until that time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChjPKH ... tLwrqznZFg

Madhias
BS TORPE

31 Dec 2014, 19:43

Since my first DT anniversary was not long ago, on 21st of December, i already wrote my summary recently.

I got so many keyboards in only one year, not so many caps, since i am waiting for the Round 5 caps, some artisan caps, and got settled for now with Topre and Buckling Spring.

2015 i want to:

- clean & refurbish my beamspring (and maybe 3D print a Enter cap)
- build or get another TKL keyboard for my massive Round 5 order
- re-do my 60% keyboard with a new PCB and plate (damn that FaceU replica parts)
- learn 3D CAD
- raise our baby boy; for example touch typing on a shitty baby computer:

A happy new year to all of you!

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2014, 19:48

elecplus wrote: Things like flopticals, Bernoulli boxes, luggables, token ring equip...
Luggables, eh? I'm sure I already asked about Macintosh Portables when you first mentioned those!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

31 Dec 2014, 19:57

mr_a500 wrote:
photekq wrote: I've now got over 20.. Have I gone too far? How many is too many?
You've got a way to go before you've gone too far. I've got around 60 and I think I could do with 5 more. (unfortunately HaaTa and b***a have those 5 I want)
Agreed. Of course that only really counts if you manage to get the KB`s you wanted.

elecplus

31 Dec 2014, 20:00

The luggables are Compaq and Kaypro. Not much Mac stuff left here, since I sold off the big room full. That took 7 pallets to pack!

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2014, 20:04

Those could be worth pulling a cap from and posting on the forum sometime. I only really know old Macs, but 1980s gear usually had quality caps at least.

@Seebart: I'm trying not to play that completist game. These old geezers and young whippersnappers are all outgunning me, cash wise, by a long margin. My most expensive board ever is my HHKB Type-S (Japan price, not EK…) with zero Clacks! After that, it's IBMs all the way down. No industrials!

seebart

31 Dec 2014, 20:04

That took 7 pallets to pack!
Insane! :o
@Seebart: I'm trying not to play that completist game. These old geezers and young whippersnappers are all outgunning me, cash wise, by a long margin. My most expensive board ever is my HHKB Type-S (Japan price, not EK…) with zero Clacks! After that, it's IBMs all the way down. No industrials!
absolutely my approach. I´m NOT spending €1000 on any keyboard. I do have the € but then I think about how many other nice keyboards I could potentially get for that much €.

gogusrl

31 Dec 2014, 20:18

I only got in the game a few months ago. It was fast and furious, I bought over 30 keyboards (almost anything I could get my hands on) but not many usable and managed to miss the best group buys (galaxy, granite). In the end I'm still using a G80-1800 with blacks I originally bought for soldering practice (which never happened).

For 2015 I need to be more responsible with my purchases and plan ahead. Also I'd like to finally make my first hand wired board (60%, US International layout, split spacebar). I think I see a Gon in my future as well but we'll see about that.

p.s. someone needs to do a Lightsaver pcb clone.

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2014, 20:35

I'm keeping an eye on Matteo, as usual, this coming year. He tooled up in 2014 with his CNC, and I bet we've only seen a peek of what he's got in store. Hopefully 2015 is kind to him IRL and he can be as much of a master of custom builds again as he was in 2013. That was a great year for customs!

Hypersphere

01 Jan 2015, 00:27

Muirium wrote: Hmm… do people still do print these days? I've been into ebooks for years myself!

Since this is Acquisitions Anonymous, here's my list this year (that I can remember):
Been a BIG year. Much of it thanks to Cindy. Definitely need to cool it down a bit now, or I'll need more shelves.

Let's not get started on caps…
Now I understand why Mu is qualified to call me a hoarder! ;)

Seriously, though, nice collection, Mu! Best wishes for your 2015 projects. And we are all looking forward to seeing your review of the HHKB Pro 2 Type-S.

Compgeke

01 Jan 2015, 04:28

I want to finish all the small projects I have around that haven't been finished (or even started).

Some of these are:
Rebuild all the thin clients and such
Fix the TiBook G4
Finish fixing the cheap Briggs 3.5 mower and sell that cheap to get it out of the yard
Get a carb kit for the Honda Harmony 215 mower and get the carb adjusted
Make the Husqvarna 322L run (possibly new carburetor)
Actually look at the Tecumseh TVS123 engined mower
Rebuild the disassembled Beamspring.

Hopefully I can get these done, but I really need to finish stuff up already.

I also need to get rid of crap. I don't need 6 push mowers, only 4 maybe. Reasoning behind that is I have them and there are times where the one with the dual muching blades is nice for thick grass, one self propelled bag is nice for medium grass, hills are nice with a discharge one and one spare that's bag or discharge.

Hypersphere

01 Jan 2015, 15:02

This year, apart from activities related to family and work, I look forward to completing some keyboard restorations and setting up my own web page.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

01 Jan 2015, 16:59

Less time on keyboards, more time on women. Although I'm sure my refurbished IBM keyboards will keep me happier for longer than any human being. Just need some beam springs to add to the mix.

Hypersphere

01 Jan 2015, 17:16

Compgeke wrote: I want to finish all the small projects I have around that haven't been finished (or even started).

Some of these are:
Rebuild all the thin clients and such
Fix the TiBook G4
Finish fixing the cheap Briggs 3.5 mower and sell that cheap to get it out of the yard
Get a carb kit for the Honda Harmony 215 mower and get the carb adjusted
Make the Husqvarna 322L run (possibly new carburetor)
Actually look at the Tecumseh TVS123 engined mower
Rebuild the disassembled Beamspring.

Hopefully I can get these done, but I really need to finish stuff up already.

I also need to get rid of crap. I don't need 6 push mowers, only 4 maybe. Reasoning behind that is I have them and there are times where the one with the dual muching blades is nice for thick grass, one self propelled bag is nice for medium grass, hills are nice with a discharge one and one spare that's bag or discharge.
I'd like to see people get rid of their lawns and plant diversified self-maintaining forests instead. ;)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Jan 2015, 17:23

elecplus wrote:
matt3o wrote: Another dream? Build a retro-computer museum... one can dream, right?!
I wish you were in the US, I would donate some of my upstairs "stuff" for your museum! Things nobody really uses anymore, but I hate to see the old technology disappear. Things like flopticals, Bernoulli boxes, luggables, token ring equip...
well... there's always international shipping! :)
andrewjoy wrote:
one can indeed dream however until that time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChjPKH ... tLwrqznZFg
wow, that is pure gold :)

Hypersphere

01 Jan 2015, 17:46

Let's build the retro museum on a yacht so that we can bring retro tech to all the seaports in the world (and pick up new [retro] items along the way).

Muirium
µ

01 Jan 2015, 17:49

The DT Club Yacht. Shipping rare IBMs and the like, the literal way. I like it!

First stop: Tokyo harbour. Conveniently close to Tenso!

mr_a500

01 Jan 2015, 18:00

If the yacht is going to be shipping beam springs, you better reinforce the hull.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jan 2015, 18:16

Happy new year all. My resolution: get the dt members to buy me a club yacht.

mr_a500

01 Jan 2015, 18:27

This is probably the yacht you want, isn't it, Quintus Arrius:

"Unlock DT club member forty one."

davkol

01 Jan 2015, 18:44

2014 was the peak of my interest in this hobby. I got a ton of mostly vintage keyboards, rebuilt my ErgoDox, read a lot of papers on keyboard design, tried more pointing devices and unexpectedly improved my typing technique. I also dived deeper into vintage headphones.

Goals are clear at least for the next few months: document and resell almost everything, finish and publish my work on keyboard layouts, and move on.

seebart

01 Jan 2015, 18:47

Muirium wrote: The DT Club Yacht. Shipping rare IBMs and the like, the literal way. I like it!

First stop: Tokyo harbour. Conveniently close to Tenso!
Shipping past customs? 8-)

Hypersphere

01 Jan 2015, 19:11

Seeing the galley scene clip from Ben Hur reminded me of a great cartoon I once saw in the New Yorker magazine, long known for its excellent cartoons. It showed rows of gaunt galley slaves below decks looking quite miserable except for one rower who was gazing out the oar hole with a silly smile on his face as he said, "Oh look everyone -- dolphins!"

Touch_It

02 Jan 2015, 17:06

Finish my 4704 project. Buy a model AT F or XT F. Build a teensy. Then the typical loose weight, pay off bills etc. Oh forgot, also want to get a solenoid for my 4704.

Edit 2. Seeing as this is also a post showing the ridiculous amount of keyboards one can acquire in a year I'll post mine

IBM 4704 107 key
Unicomp Classic Black 103 key
Some rando board with Fubata switches
zenith data systems xt board with yellow alps
some completely generic keyboard with a plastic plate and some sort of white alps clones (about the worst keyboard I've typed on, including rubber domes)
Solidtek KB-6600 (waiting on shipment)

Pretty tame compared to some people :D

Return to “Off-topic”