Seattle Mechanical Keyboards Meetup - March 2015

cooldiscretion

18 Feb 2015, 17:07

Hello,

A few days ago, I posted on Reddit to gauge interest in a Seattle Mechanical Keyboards meetup. It looked like at least 8-10 people were interested just based off that post, so I was hoping to start preparing some stuff. The tentative date I had in mind was Sunday March 1st, although this is in no way concrete. I thought it might be a good idea to try to find a coffee shop around town that has big tables with lots of space for our group and some keyboards, so if anyone has any recommendations, please let them be known. I'll start looking around town for some possible options for a meet up location. Also, if you're in Seattle and at all interested, please comment so I can get an approximate head count. Hopefully, if things go well, we can do a reoccurring monthly meetup.

-CD
Last edited by cooldiscretion on 18 Feb 2015, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

cooldiscretion

18 Feb 2015, 17:22

I've also posted this on Reddit and GH in hopes of gaining some additional exposure.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... arch_2015/

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68929

altercation

18 Feb 2015, 17:59

I'm planning on attending with a small collection of retro, modern and diy boards.

cooldiscretion

18 Feb 2015, 19:38

altercation wrote: I'm planning on attending with a small collection of retro, modern and diy boards.
Great! Once I determine an appropriate location, I'll start trying to contact everyone I saw that was interested in the meetup with a good time. I'll post any additional details on all three threads (here, GH, and /r/MechanicalKeyboards).

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

19 Feb 2015, 05:55

You may want to ping damienG on GeekHack to see if he wants to attend.

He was a regular attendee of the early meetups I did in the California Bay Area.

cooldiscretion

19 Feb 2015, 06:21

Oh thanks for the recommendation! Is he located in Seattle now I assume?

cooldiscretion

19 Feb 2015, 18:55

UPDATE Some people voiced concern that if anyone under 21 wanted to participate they wouldn't be able to if we hosted this at a pub or bar. One option we have is there is a StarBucks at 1600 East Olive Way, Seattle 98102. I spoke with someone there this morning (2-19) and they have a room that has room for up to 10 people that is private. This Starbucks is actually pretty cool because if people want to they can get beer or wine at the wine bar here, but of course it's 100% accessible to people of all ages as long as you're not drinking. I've been in the private room before and it's off to the side so I can assure you people won't get upset about the loud clacking sounds. :D Anyway, they have another private room right next to this one that is slightly smaller and can hold 6 people. It's not ideal to split our group and so If anyone has any other ideas for coffee shops with big tables, let them be known! :) Otherwise, this is an option seeing that I've already reserved the large room and could easily get the small one next to it as well. UPDATE

Where: Starbucks 1600 East Olive Way, Seattle 98102
When: 1pm - 4pm
What: 10 person room reserved (there is another 6 person room next to it I can also reserve)

cooldiscretion

26 Feb 2015, 01:51

The Seattle Mechanical Keyboard Meetup is still planned for March 1st. We still have a room reserved at Starbucks, but they wouldn't let me reserve both rooms. Another option we could use is Vivace Roasteria located at 532 Broadway E Seattle, WA 98102. There is another Vivace that is a sidewalk coffee bar down the street, so don't be confused with that. At Vivace, they have a large backroom where an employee assured me our group could meet. Unfortunately, this space cannot be reserved. Still, this room is much larger and I believe it to be our best option thus far. Maybe we could do a vote or if someone else has another better option, please speak up. Anyway, the Starbucks room is reserved for 1pm-4pm at 1600 East Olive Way Seattle, WA 98102 as another option.

Here are links to the posts on GH and Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... march_1st/
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68929.0

cooldiscretion

26 Feb 2015, 02:10

Okay, I think I may have a much better option for this Sunday as well as possible future meetups. There is ANOTHER coffee shop named Victrola Coffee and Art located at 411 15th Ave E Seattle, WA 98112. They have a much larger back room that I was able to reserve on Sunday March 1st from 11am to 2pm. Unfortunately, this requires a change of time, but I've seen this room and it's fairly large and private and should have no problems fitting all people interested in joining. Let me know what you guys think. My apologies for throwing out this option so soon before the meetup.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

27 Feb 2015, 00:08

Has there or will there be any meetup in the Dallas DFW area in Texas?

cooldiscretion

27 Feb 2015, 00:11

I can't really speak to that since I live in Seattle, but I'm sure there must be some people that share the hobby down there. Have there been any meetups before in those areas?

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2015, 00:16

Might as well suggest it in a new thread, and try to make it reality!

cooldiscretion

27 Feb 2015, 00:20

Muirium wrote: Might as well suggest it in a new thread, and try to make it reality!
Agreed. We need Mechanical Keyboard Meetups in every city. :)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

27 Feb 2015, 00:24

cooldiscretion wrote: I can't really speak to that since I live in Seattle, but I'm sure there must be some people that share the hobby down there. Have there been any meetups before in those areas?
I do not know that is why I was asking if there was any that had taken place previously. I am pretty new here and don't really know about any events until recently. Its not like I can really go to any meetup until a few years when I am not so busy with school and can drive better anyway I am just curious if one has happened already.

cooldiscretion

27 Feb 2015, 00:50

Redmaus wrote:
cooldiscretion wrote: I can't really speak to that since I live in Seattle, but I'm sure there must be some people that share the hobby down there. Have there been any meetups before in those areas?
I do not know that is why I was asking if there was any that had taken place previously. I am pretty new here and don't really know about any events until recently. Its not like I can really go to any meetup until a few years when I am not so busy with school and can drive better anyway I am just curious if one has happened already.
Oh, okay. Well, I'm not particularly active over at DT, but welcome to the keyboarding community. The reason that I started trying to get a meetup going in Seattle was because I saw there was a meetup going pretty strong down in Portland. Maybe at some point someone will start one in Dallas, but I haven't seen anything talking about one yet.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

27 Feb 2015, 01:09

Hope the one in seattle goes well! As far as one in Dallas, well maybe one day...

altercation

01 Mar 2015, 23:56

Outstanding meetup. Good group, good keyboards, good coffee. Hope this becomes a regular thing. -Ethan

cooldiscretion

02 Mar 2015, 18:06

altercation wrote: Outstanding meetup. Good group, good keyboards, good coffee. Hope this becomes a regular thing. -Ethan
I couldn't agree more.

Evilcamels

26 Jun 2015, 06:57

Are there stil planes of repeating the meetup? Missed the first one :(

SuperSumo

27 Jun 2015, 21:30

I also would want to go to this.

cooldiscretion

28 Jun 2015, 02:58

We should do another one then. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few people interested

Air tree

29 Jun 2015, 03:27

I'd totally be down for going, it's probably the closest area I can come too without too much of a drive. :)

cooldiscretion

29 Jun 2015, 07:36

Air tree wrote:I'd totally be down for going, it's probably the closest area I can come too without too much of a drive. :)
Where are you coming from?

Air tree

29 Jun 2015, 19:08

Spanaway Washington! It's only an hour or so by bus thankfully enough, it's better than the 4-5 hours for Portland. :cry:

fifted

29 Jun 2015, 22:45

Eastside here, mildly upset that I missed this in March. Thanks for the necro thread!

cooldiscretion

29 Jun 2015, 22:49

I'm trying to do a little research to determine if the place we had it last time will work again or not. We were able to get a large study room with a massive table which was nice. Unfortunately, because that coffee shop is usually so busy on the weekends they won't allow any more day reservations. Must be post-5pm. I'm okay with that I suppose as long as other people are. I still have a list (creepy me) of people that mentioned interest from last time and I think there is significant enough interest to do it again so I'll post something when I get more details figured out in a couple days.

cooldiscretion

02 Jul 2015, 22:55

Here is a link to the new meetup details for beginning of August.

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/se ... 11067.html

Return to “Off-topic”