XMIT for bringing back Hall Effect
14%
Ripster55 for spreading his knowledge on reddit
26%

Total votes: 307

ohaimark
Kingpin

07 Dec 2016, 06:16

Gotcha. Yep, I recognize that real transgressions occurred.

chuckdee

07 Dec 2016, 06:19

I thought this inviting /r/MK and GH was to heal the community. It's a prize- nothing more. The sentiments being aired and the ugly aftermath is a more lasting legacy. I wasn't sure why the results of who was ahead were even announced, but it was pretty obvious when they were, this was going to be the result. :(

ohaimark
Kingpin

07 Dec 2016, 06:31

I think it would have happened post-awards if ripster won too. I'm actually glad it's getting aired out now. And, frankly, there have been fewer upset DT members than anticipated.

While some DT members are discontent, I think that reddit and GH members really appreciate the invitation (even with its naysayers). Particularly reddit. If you want to look at it in a different way, it can only get better from here (and I don't even think this is that bad). Forgive. No need to forget, but forgive, people. It's not like ripster is going to be unbanned.

I don't consider this damage control. It's just dialogue. Also, I take full responsibility for the decision to follow previous years' precedent in terms of stating the leading contenders.

On a separate note, if anyone has an issue with my policies as Kingpin start a poll or something. If public opinion is against me, I'll step back from next year's awards. I won't run a non-inclusive DTA after seeing the success and community buzz that this one created. I've learned a few lessons about managing this event, so some decisions will be different next year.

drevyek

07 Dec 2016, 07:34

Right at lot_lizard et al for the MF. That thread got me participating in this site, and the continuous updates, progression, and sense of community sold me on it.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2016, 08:17

bhtooefr wrote: Yeah, I'm not saying he shouldn't be eligible - if the community (and this has been opened up to the greater community) wants him to get the wingnut, he should get the wingnut. […]
I agree, and I do not and did not deny that.
Clear rules have been defined for this award,
and of course they remain valid even if in the end the result happens to be ridiculous.

On the other hand, I am allowed to shake my head and advocate avoiding such a ridiculous result.
After all, he does not only have merits, but also did real harm to the "keyboard community".
He wasn't banned on GH and DT for nothing.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

07 Dec 2016, 08:56

I would like to invite all DT club members to have this discussion in the club house.
  • This year's awards are in progress and cannot be changed any more
  • We're giving a terrible impression of our community here in a thread that received more cross-community attention than most others
  • Let's talk about lessons learned and not about mistakes made
  • Anyone holding a grudge against DT would probably enjoy the activity in this thread more than any award
  • You can't change the rules but you _CAN_ get people to VOTE! Has anyone ever considered doing a presentation of the ModelMF project on Reddit and invite people to vote for it?

scottc

07 Dec 2016, 10:05

Let's not play down the other nominees either:

- Daniel Beardsmore for Deskthority Wiki work
- Chyros for his videos and majestic voice
- XMIT for bringing back Hall Effect

These guys have done a ridiculous amount for Deskthority. I'm honestly disappointed that the rest of them aren't seeing as much attention as the main contenders due to this American election-style snafu. I personally had already voted for the Model MF project because I love my buckling springs but the other guys definitely deserve to see some recognition for their contributions too.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Dec 2016, 10:16

Is this the final vote or the final discussion thread? :? :maverick:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2016, 10:47

scottc wrote: Let's not play down the other nominees either:

- Daniel Beardsmore for Deskthority Wiki work
- Chyros for his videos and majestic voice
- XMIT for bringing back Hall Effect

These guys have done a ridiculous amount for Deskthority. I'm honestly disappointed that the rest of them aren't seeing as much attention as the main contenders due to this American election-style snafu. I personally had already voted for the Model MF project because I love my buckling springs but the other guys definitely deserve to see some recognition for their contributions too.
As I said before, I had first voted for one of these 3,
but then changed my vote to the Model MF project after it was revealed that it had better chances to avoid - oh well, you know what.

seebart

07 Dec 2016, 11:03

I love how many people here feel the urge to share their voting intent?!? No, you do not have to tell us. You may of course, but why? Just vote.
2963932081_3a4aa5e67c_z-318x420.jpg
2963932081_3a4aa5e67c_z-318x420.jpg (69.31 KiB) Viewed 21779 times

pr0ximity

07 Dec 2016, 12:57

You don't have to tell people, but I think it's nice that people publicly support them. I've posted in a few of the voting threads because I wanted to show public appreciation for whatever contribution they made :)

Ratfink

07 Dec 2016, 14:06

Wow. This is interesting to watch. I'll just continue to laugh, know that it doesn't matter, and vote for who I really want to win.

I'd like to register an official complaint about the top-two-contestants announcements, though. That only further hurts the chances of everyone else.

The Demongolator
Contra Bonos Mores

07 Dec 2016, 14:12

:idea: :evilgeek: :twisted: ♪ ♫ ♬ This is the complaint department. How may I help you? :twisted: :evilgeek: :idea:

Halvar

07 Dec 2016, 14:39

seebart wrote: I love how many people here feel the urge to share their voting intent?!? No, you do not have to tell us. You may of course, but why? Just vote.
Show support and convince others? Make unsupported claims and let others correct you? It might or might not work. :twisted:

ohaimark
Kingpin

07 Dec 2016, 17:21

Oh god... I triggered a response that merited a Demongolator post. I need to go home and rethink my life.

seebart

07 Dec 2016, 17:35

ohaimark wrote: Oh god... I triggered a response that merited a Demongolator post. I need to go home and rethink my life.
Yeah really ohaimark, you would think that's something I would manage to do. But with all the DTA work that you've been dealing with it's OK.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Dec 2016, 00:45

We're just over half way the vote. If you haven't voted yet, vote now on one of these nominees, and let your voice be heard:
  • The Model MF team for the Model MF kit
  • Daniel Beardsmore for Deskthority Wiki work
  • Chyros for his videos and majestic voice
  • XMIT for bringing back Hall Effect
  • Ripster55 for spreading his knowledge on reddit

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 00:57

Enough with plurality voting! It's time for an alternative voting system. Ranked choice, anyone?

bhtooefr

08 Dec 2016, 01:14

I'd be cool with ranked choice, if there's a good way to do it.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Dec 2016, 01:28

What about electoral vote? :evilgeek:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 01:51

webwit wrote: What about electoral vote? :evilgeek:
Different value given to each country's winner based on membership?
bhtooefr wrote: I'd be cool with ranked choice, if there's a good way to do it.
I seriously think that ranked choice would be a good way to do voting for the Deskthority Awards final round or club positions in the future.

Although I know nothing about how this would be implemented through the forum's software.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 01:55

ohaimark wrote:
On a separate note, if anyone has an issue with my policies as Kingpin start a poll or something. If public opinion is against me, I'll step back from next year's awards.
I call for immediate removal! :evil:

(jk, you're doing a wonderful job)

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Dec 2016, 02:06

vivalarevolución wrote: Although I know nothing about how this would be implemented through the forum's software.
No support for that in phpBB, although we want to upgrade the forum software next year. But even if we manage that, it's not a given any new package will support that out of the box.

Besides that, I know it's often a hard choice, but there's also an advantage to keep things simple: you've got the pick your winner! And this is just personally, but I'm not entirely a fan when ranked voting leads to everyone's second or third choice winning the vote. It is a solution which brings different problems, while being more complex.

Lame:
Spoiler:

bhtooefr

08 Dec 2016, 02:50

Except, I'd argue that a lot of people's second or third... or even sixth or seventh choices... are what's available in the second round poll to win.

Ranked choice voting would reduce the number of rounds required - you could just go straight from nominations to the poll.

fohat
Elder Messenger

08 Dec 2016, 02:54

webwit wrote:
And this is just personally, but I'm not entirely a fan when ranked voting leads to everyone's second or third choice winning the vote.
Although there are many mathematical possibilities for "gaming" or "perverting" ranked voting systems, the 2 primary facts which generally guarantee a fair outcome are:

(1) That as long as the field is not too large (<5-6 or so) there are probably only 2, or at most 3 front-runners and the rest are quickly eliminated, so that the final race is a realistic one between viable contenders.

and

(2) Voters are notoriously obstreperous and unpredictable to the point where coordinated tactical voting is not really very likely at a scale large enough to shift the outcome away from the actual favorite.

As far as I know, whenever anyone receives at least half of the vote, they always win. (although the definition of "the vote" can be weird)

Chyros

08 Dec 2016, 03:00

fohat wrote: (2) Voters are notoriously obstreperous and unpredictable to the point where coordinated tactical voting is not really very likely at a scale large enough to shift the outcome away from the actual favorite.
Really, you say that in the year of Trump and Brexit? :p

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 03:09

This is getting too political, it's partly my fault, go Model MF team, they are THE Brain Trust.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 08 Dec 2016, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.

fohat
Elder Messenger

08 Dec 2016, 03:09

Chyros wrote:
fohat wrote: (2) Voters are notoriously obstreperous and unpredictable to the point where coordinated tactical voting is not really very likely at a scale large enough to shift the outcome away from the actual favorite.
Really, you say that in the year of Trump and Brexit? :p
Operative word is "coordinated" (and PS they mostly don't know what "tactical" even means).

emdude
Model M Apologist

08 Dec 2016, 03:15

vivalarevolución wrote: This is getting too political, it's partly my fault, go Model MF team.
It's a shame that the majority of posts in the thread is about this. But then again, this is Offtopicthority, for better or worse..
Wodan wrote: I would like to invite all DT club members to have this discussion in the club house.
I think it would be prudent to continue the discussion here, as Wodan suggested.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 03:29

emdude wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: This is getting too political, it's partly my fault, go Model MF team.
It's a shame that the majority of posts in the thread is about this. But then again, this is Offtopicthority, for better or worse..
Offtopicthority for the win!

Return to “Final vote”