Capacitive buckling spring
18%
Topre
30%

Total votes: 289

Chyros

08 Dec 2016, 14:08

PollandAkuma wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: I think the problem with Blue Alps is that a lot of people don't have a chance to try them. But when it comes to any clicky switch in the Cherry and Alps family, they are the best I have tried.
I couldn't agree more. it's as crisp as lightly toasted bread.
Yeah, it's definitely that. Which is really a shame because I'd love for more people to get to try these out :D .

Scarpia

08 Dec 2016, 15:02

vivalarevolución wrote: I think the problem with Blue Alps is that a lot of people don't have a chance to try them. But when it comes to any clicky switch in the Cherry and Alps family, they are the best I have tried.
I think that's definitely true, not just for Blue Alps but also for Beamspring and Topre, due to scarcity and/or price. I for one couldn't vote for beamspring, since I haven't tried one yet.

Of course, another problem with any Alps switch is that while few have tried blues, brown tactiles AND linears, green tactiles, striped ambers, etc. -- fewer still have tried those in mint condition, meaning some people may have tried scratchy SKCM Blues only, reducing their chances even further.

...then again, if a switch family is as prone to scratchiness as Alps are, then maybe they just don't deserve to win? Even as a proclaimed Alps lover, I have to admit that longevity, resilience and practical usability does count for something.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 15:39

Wodan wrote: Maybe it's just to batch I got but I found some blue Gaterons to be ultra crispy as well ... like a nice warm camp fire in winter times!
one of the major difference between an Cherry or Cherry Clone and Alps/Matias is the higher actuation point on the Alps switches (my conclusion from personal experience, I wonder what Haata's force curve has determined). For me, that creates a superior feel with less bottoming out and finger fatigue from an out of the box switch. Cherry-style switches can feel great with spring swaps and proper lube, but I don't think they can beat the finest Alps and Matias switches that are in good, stock condition.

I will admit that Gathering and ZealPC have done a wonderful job creating switches that are ideal for typists, rather than pumping out the same less than ideal switch.
Scarpia wrote:

...then again, if a switch family is as prone to scratchiness as Alps are, then maybe they just don't deserve to win? Even as a proclaimed Alps lover, I have to admit that longevity, resilience and practical usability does count for something.
Very good point for consideration.

Shihatsu

09 Dec 2016, 10:01

Beam me up, Scotty!

Return to “Final vote”