Capacitive buckling spring
18%
Topre
30%

Total votes: 289

ohaimark
Kingpin

06 Dec 2016, 03:59

The recent pricing bubble made most DT members somewhat jaded about Blue Alps. Maybe next year? Hopefully?

Halvar

06 Dec 2016, 09:12

002's principle of only voting for what you have used yourself is a very sane one, I'm adhering to it, too, and probably many voters do. Which makes it hard for blue Alps or beamsprings.
Last edited by Halvar on 06 Dec 2016, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

Khers

06 Dec 2016, 09:19

It is a very sane principle. If you haven't tried a switch, what would you be basing your opinion on? Others thoughts on that switch?

Fortunately for me, I've tried and own all the switches represented in this final round bar one: zealios. I guess you can guess at least one of the switches I didn't vote for. :D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2016, 09:36

I'm having a hard time voting for the abstract idea of a switch. No doubt a beamspring switch gives you the most pleasurable 4mm of your life ... but it is a beast of a switch that wouldn't fit into ANY keyboard that I use frequently. It's great fun to type on a beamer for a couple of days but you quickly realize why other switches made the race.

Gotta go with Topre this year. They actually made some impressive progress finally releasing MX compatible keyboards under their own brand name and checking the "RGB backlight" box ...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Dec 2016, 09:40

I've never tried Zealios...looking at the current results possibly I should. I'm still perplexed that no Alps SKCM made it into the final round.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2016, 09:47

Well if you add Aristotle stems (0.65$ each) to your Zealios (1.00$ each) you basically get SKCM Blues with MX stems:
https://zealpc.net/collections/switches ... -aristotle

:lol:

seebart

06 Dec 2016, 10:05

Wodan wrote: Well if you add Aristotle stems (0.65$ each) to your Zealios (1.00$ each) you basically get SKCM Blues with MX stems:
https://zealpc.net/collections/switches ... -aristotle

:lol:
I wouldn't know but I don't believe you...since I know that you do own real SKCM blues you might want to be careful with jokes like that. :evilgeek:

scottc

06 Dec 2016, 10:14

I find zealios soooo overhyped. I've been using them in a Whitefox for a build I did for a friend and am not that impressed at all. Honestly it could be that the hype killed it for me, but I wasn't exactly blown away either. All in all, I found them to be a fairly average tactile switch.

I've had a jar of desoldered Aristotles burning a hole in my shelves for months. Tried putting them in an MX chassis and didn't like the result. Maybe the Zealio chassis is filled with magic goodness that will make the stem spring to life.

As an aside, couldn't you just use regular Gateron housings instead of Zealio housings when doing that mod? They're something like 8x cheaper (at least they were in the initial GB phase).

PollandAkuma

06 Dec 2016, 10:17

I voted for MX Clears, because... Clears are just so well-loved by everyone. Especially me! Such a classic option. Wouldn't feel right to vote for Topre and Beamspring because I've only recently tried them.

seebart

06 Dec 2016, 10:24

PollandAkuma wrote: I voted for MX Clears, because... Clears are just so well-loved by me! Especially me!
Changed that for you! :maverick: It's slightly more realistic now.

PollandAkuma

06 Dec 2016, 10:27

seebart wrote:
PollandAkuma wrote: I voted for MX Clears, because... Clears are just so well-loved by me! Especially me!
:oops: well... :P

Khers

06 Dec 2016, 10:50

PollandAkuma wrote:
seebart wrote:
:oops: well... :P
I for one find clears to be rather appalling. They get better after a spring swap but there are three switches in this round that I count as being in a completely different ball park.

seebart

06 Dec 2016, 10:55

Khers wrote: ...but there are three switches in this round that I count as being in a completely different ball park.
Agreed, two really. One is quite "exotic" in it's physical form. ;)

Khers

06 Dec 2016, 10:58

seebart wrote:
Khers wrote: ...but there are three switches in this round that I count as being in a completely different ball park.
Agreed, two really. One is quite "exotic" in it's physical form. ;)
Exotic as in purple?

jk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

seebart

06 Dec 2016, 11:03

No Khers, exotic as in not very practical on a day to day basis:
Spoiler:
IMG_20160616_200127.jpg
IMG_20160616_200127.jpg (904.85 KiB) Viewed 34080 times
:mrgreen:

Chyros

06 Dec 2016, 12:00

seebart wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

seebart

06 Dec 2016, 12:05

Glad to see you're enjoying yourself Tom. :mrgreen: Nothing wrong with PollandAkuma's post anyway.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2016, 12:10

Last edited by Wodan on 06 Dec 2016, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

06 Dec 2016, 12:15

Just like politics.
Last edited by seebart on 06 Dec 2016, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2016, 12:16

PFFF Behold the coalition of tactile switches !

scottc

06 Dec 2016, 13:48

All I see is edited messages... I wonder what went on here :? Holy wars?

E TwentyNine

06 Dec 2016, 13:56

pr0ximity wrote:
ramnes wrote: Capacitive BS is definitely the switch of the moment, but Beamsprings are just the best switches ever made in term of feels.
+1
Of course. Problem is not enough people have had the chance to try one, therefore it can't get the votes.

But we know.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2016, 14:09

scottc wrote: All I see is edited messages... I wonder what went on here :? Holy wars?
Just me spilling beans that weren't supposed to be spilled :)

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Dec 2016, 14:13

Wodan wrote:
I'm having a hard time voting for the abstract idea of a switch.
At the minimum there should be a distinction made between "conventional modern" switches and "non-standard and vintage" switches. Unfortunately, date/time can't be used as a delimiter because there was quite a bit of overlap.

PollandAkuma

06 Dec 2016, 15:42

I wish Santa could fill my stocking with blue Alps [CRYING FACE]on the other hand I really like topre...

Have another else noticed that there are no linear switches to vote for? #LinearEquality

PollandAkuma

06 Dec 2016, 15:47

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:
._.

scottc

06 Dec 2016, 16:16

I think you might be alone in your love for stock MX clears... or maybe you and the people who voted it into the last round :lol:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 01:04

I think the problem with Blue Alps is that a lot of people don't have a chance to try them. But when it comes to any clicky switch in the Cherry and Alps family, they are the best I have tried.

PollandAkuma

08 Dec 2016, 13:49

vivalarevolución wrote: I think the problem with Blue Alps is that a lot of people don't have a chance to try them. But when it comes to any clicky switch in the Cherry and Alps family, they are the best I have tried.
I couldn't agree more. it's as crisp as lightly toasted bread.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Dec 2016, 13:54

Maybe it's just to batch I got but I found some blue Gaterons to be ultra crispy as well ... like a nice warm camp fire in winter times!

Return to “Final vote”