Best artisan keycap

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Dec 2016, 22:00

Sponsored by:
Voters have a chance at winning an MX-Board 3.0 from Cherry!

Winner:
This is the first time artisan caps have competed in The Deskthority Awards. After a great showing, which may have converted some stodgy DT members into artisan appreciators, only one cap can can rise to the top.

The official nominees were:
  • KeyKollectiv x Booper | Kosmonavt
  • eat_the_food | Fugu
  • Clack Factory | Flux Keypacitor
  • Key Kollective | Fruit Reboot
  • Jelly Key | Nebula

As the Kingpin, I'm proud to recognize a new wave of innovation. The community has chosen the winner of this year's Best artisan keycap award:
Spoiler:
Jelly Key | Nebula
Sticking a nebula inside a keycap is no small matter, but Jelly Key somehow does it. The fact that Jelly references artists, dreams, and other creative forces turns his website into a monolith that would stymie Dave.

The thing’s hollow -- it goes on forever -- and -- oh my God! -- it’s full of stars!
Runners-up:
Spoiler:
2nd place: Clack Factory | Flux Keypacitor
For those who wondered, I was rooting for this keycap. I'm a shameless nerd. :mrgreen: :lol: Technology keeps getting smaller and more power efficient. Doc would be proud to know that his flux capacitor has been adapted to the latest tritium glow vial technology. Let's travel back now! Just hammer out 88 WPM and provide your keyboard 1.2e-10 gigawatts to get things rolling.

3rd place: eat_the_food | Fugu
Eat_the_food stormed into the artisan market with an unprecedented level of quality and output. Puffer fish, or Fugu, is a dangerous Japanese delicacy. Poorly prepared Fugu contains tetrodotoxin, a poison which operates like Sarin and other nerve agents. While eating a keycap might be safe, it certainly isn't recommended. The keycaps are, however, likely to kill your wallet.

Honorable mentions:
Spoiler:
KeyKollectiv x Booper | Kosmonavt
Kosmonavt, a collaboration between two impressive shops, is intended to convey a "lost in space" theme. Making a keycap with resin immersed items is difficult, but this artisan is something unique. A three step process consisting of five silicone molds and 18 to 24 hours is necessary when bringing Kosmonavts to (un)death. Teasers and hints released by the team promoted the caps' bleak atmosphere (or lack thereof).

Key Kollective | Fruit Reboot
The Kollective revisited its Snackeys series to revitalize an amazing product. One can almost taste the fruits of their labor. The convincing colorways and easy to use form factor make the Snackeys a healthy alternative to less ergonomic keycaps.

CoffeeHamster

10 Dec 2016, 22:06

Nice, congrats to Joiha! A jelly key remains my first and only artisan, and for good reason.

OutragedPudding

11 Dec 2016, 00:48

Congratulations to Jelly Key! They're trying their best to be innovative and satisfy all customers through each of their group buys. Great packaging for a very impressive artisan. I'm sure that they'll be honoured to find out that they won!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Dec 2016, 13:14

I will never understand artisan keycaps. Went with the one that caught my eye ... jelly key is the most DT artisan keycap this year no doubt :)

Hope some of the GHers enjoyed this and run their own artisan of the year award in 2017 and next time we compare results :)

Return to “Results”