Live results chat (ended)

Madhias
BS TORPE

10 Dec 2016, 23:21

fohat wrote: Mostly pleased with the results and congratulations to all the winners.
My greatest disappointment was not seeing the "Flux Capacitor" keycap win big - that is by far and away the most amazing key cap that I have ever seen, and I am not even into caps.
I thought that too after looking through the entries!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Dec 2016, 00:00

Congrats to all winners and thanks to the DTA team and sponsors,... now. where's the booze?

Ratfink

11 Dec 2016, 01:01

Uh, do you guys check IDs? I may be a couple months too young to partake in the booze. :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Dec 2016, 01:35

wiki/User:Daniel_beardsmore :lol:

So he does care!

Don't worry Beardsmore, we know what you've been doing.

Topre Enthusiast

11 Dec 2016, 01:46

The thankless job of a tireless leprechaun. It's not surprising that he doesn't get the recognition that he deserves -- how many times have you read a normal Wikipedia page and thought "wow, I really appreciate what the authors of this page have done"? Now if 1/3rd of Wikipedia was written by one bloke, then it might be a different story.

e_l_tang

11 Dec 2016, 02:37

What happens if a sponsor prize goes unclaimed?

Chyros

11 Dec 2016, 04:26

*mumble grumble humbug*

Hking0036

11 Dec 2016, 05:00

Chyros wrote: *mumble grumble humbug*
Sorry blue alps didn't make it bud.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Dec 2016, 09:57

webwit wrote: wiki/User:Daniel_beardsmore :lol:

So he does care!
Daniel Beardsmore's comment.jpg
Daniel Beardsmore's comment.jpg (28.93 KiB) Viewed 26820 times
Don't worry Beardsmore, we know what you've been doing.
002 wrote: The thankless job of a tireless leprechaun. It's not surprising that he doesn't get the recognition that he deserves -- how many times have you read a normal Wikipedia page and thought "wow, I really appreciate what the authors of this page have done"? Now if 1/3rd of Wikipedia was written by one bloke, then it might be a different story.
Sorry if perhaps, confronted to a dilemma, I have contributed to people not voting for Daniel Beardsmore in the end even if he was their first choice, as was my case:
final-vote-f101/the-deskthority-t15231-120.html#p344180

On the other hand, what a huge success for someone who does not even appear publicly!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Dec 2016, 10:10

Seriously, for a user who hardly made a post in 2016, it's an incredible performance. Taking into account that most of the DT love went to ModelMF and ripster had a huge crew of supporters from Reddit, I was surprised how awesome Beardsmore did.

He should consider how many people picked his work over all four other candidates. If there was a lifetime achievement award again, I am sure he had prime chance for getting it. Looking at 2016 exclusively, I couldn't ignore the ModelMF project since it was so present on DT at all times.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Dec 2016, 10:26

Wodan wrote: Seriously, for a user who hardly made a post in 2016, it's an incredible performance. […]
And even more that if you consider that his last post was 21 March 2015:
search.php?author_id=819&sr=posts

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Dec 2016, 11:15

Well if you considder that this is just a fraction of his enrties (go ahead and scroll down the page....) he should win some workhorse type of award.

w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions ... namespace=

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Dec 2016, 11:18

Life time achievement award!

He's been rocking the wiki for so long, any annual award would only catch a snapshot of his continuous efforts.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Dec 2016, 11:19

seebart wrote: he should win some workhorse type of award.
I don't know... ;)
Spoiler:
Wodan wrote: Life time achievement award!
So close: final-vote-f93/the-deskthority-lifetime ... 12309.html

seebart

11 Dec 2016, 11:20

Wodan wrote: Life time achievement award!

He's been rocking the wiki for so long, any annual award would only catch a snapshot of his continuous efforts.
Sure, on the other hand that will still be valid for DTA7...

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Dec 2016, 11:25

These parties are nice, but the trash and the hangovers the morning after... :shock:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Dec 2016, 11:27

I like the idea of life time achievement awards for users. That would award them a golden wingnut and exclude them from all future DTA. Does that make sense?

New recruits for the DTA team :)

Chyros

11 Dec 2016, 11:30

I think he did well considering. He never posts anymore and still got third. I'm pretty sure I put in at least as much time if not more, I still post a lot, and I got DEAD LAST :P .

seebart

11 Dec 2016, 11:35

Chyros wrote: I think he did well considering. He never posts anymore and still got third. I'm pretty sure I put in at least as much time if not more, I still post a lot, and I got DEAD LAST :P .
Really? Sounds a little grumpy to me considering you won last year! Shame. Beardsmore did x50 the work any of us ever did here at DT.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

11 Dec 2016, 11:46

It has been my misfortune that Daniel Beardsmore stopped posting publicly before I joined in October, 2015. We converse on an almost daily basis behind the scenes but try as I might (on a few occasions) I have not been successful in getting him to come back to the forums. I have had the benefit of talking to him about many of my keyboards and almost all of the switches that I have found over most of my time here and his knowledge and passion for what amounts to an on/off switch is astounding. He's the person who got me mixed up in the enthusiasm of keyboards and taught me that they are far more interesting than being a "throw in" computer peripheral.

I pointed out to him yesterday that he didn't make it to the finals without many people recognizing his particular dedication to expanding the body of knowledge in the wiki that we, in the keyboard community, use on a regular basis. Even though he doesn't do it for the recognition, coming in after ripster sparked quite a frustrating email that is summarized in those 8 words. In my view, Daniel does care but he will never admit it.

If you want to appreciate Daniels work, he would much rather see active contributions to the wiki than a wingnut and everybody wins that way.

alh84001
v.001

11 Dec 2016, 11:49

Sad to see Daniel Beardsmore not win it. My vote went to him, because as awesome as MF project was, on many different levels, it already got a lot of recognition, and the tireless work and energy that goes in the wiki needs to get recognised. I bet that is probably half of the reason why DT is what it is today.

Keep it up Dan, we love you.

P.S. Can we demand a recount :twisted: #ImWithDan
Last edited by alh84001 on 11 Dec 2016, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

11 Dec 2016, 11:50

snuci wrote: IIf you want to appreciate Daniels work, he would much rather see active contributions to the wiki than a wingnut and everybody wins that way.
That's right. One click away for your keyboard informational needs!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Dec 2016, 11:50

Chyros wrote: I think he did well considering. He never posts anymore and still got third. I'm pretty sure I put in at least as much time if not more, I still post a lot, and I got DEAD LAST :P .
Most of your time goes into YOUR Youtube channel. It's great work and I enjoy watching it but don't expect DT to go crazy over it ...

Maybe consider transfering all the research and information from your videos into the corresponsing Wiki article and link the video from the wiki and you're suddenly a big DT contributor.

#dicksoutforbeardsmore

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Dec 2016, 12:19

I don't think that's relevant, as these are open awards, and even if they weren't, we don't have internal video, and he posts and discusses his reviews and other stuff here too, in other words, he is a great DT contributor, as proven by last year's Award exactly for that.

Do you guys have a notion of the work and dedication that goes into making such videos and do the research that goes with it every week, for one year? Acquiring the keyboards, researching, reviewing, text, video, etc. Every. Week.

He certainly deserved to win too, but the lineup was so strong. Still a lot of votes from people who saw that lineup and voted for him!

seebart

11 Dec 2016, 12:24

He did win last year. It's a vote, most of the entries deserved to win. Youtube video authors don't deserve to win more than anyone else, unless of course you ask the youtube promotion / benefits dept.!

Chyros

11 Dec 2016, 13:23

Most of your time goes into YOUR Youtube channel. It's great work and I enjoy watching it but don't expect DT to go crazy over it ...

Maybe consider transfering all the research and information from your videos into the corresponsing Wiki article and link the video from the wiki and you're suddenly a big DT contributor.
I've stated on multiple occasions that I'll happily have links to the videos in the wiki, and that I think integration of them would be really nice. Unfortunately, that motion has met with some resistance.

Also, the award was obviously not for specific DT contribution. If it had been about that, I doubt Ripster's second place for shitposting and getting banned would've made the cut tbh :p .
seebart wrote: He did win last year. It's a vote, most of the entries deserved to win. Youtube video authors don't deserve to win more than anyone else, unless of course you ask the youtube promotion / benefits dept.!
Hahaha, I don't see too many Youtube benefits to be honest xD .

I agree, the lineup this year was incredibly strong though, 2016 seems to have been a great year for keyboards :) . I heartily congratulate the MF team with the award, as well as all the other winners this year :D .

seebart

11 Dec 2016, 13:34

Chyros wrote: I've stated on multiple occasions that I'll happily have links to the videos in the wiki, and that I think integration of them would be really nice. Unfortunately, that motion has met with some resistance.
They will be integrated just like HaaTa's force gauge work, regardless of the resistance. Both are on my wiki TODO list, both are important sources of information. I wish we could have the actual videos in the wiki but I believe that's technically not possible.

Chyros

11 Dec 2016, 13:45

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote: I've stated on multiple occasions that I'll happily have links to the videos in the wiki, and that I think integration of them would be really nice. Unfortunately, that motion has met with some resistance.
They will be integrated just like HaaTa's force gauge work, regardless of the resistance. Both are on my wiki TODO list, both are important sources of information. I wish we could have the actual videos in the wiki but I believe that's technically not possible.
Let's say "some" people don't consider video to be a good medium for information on the wiki ;) .

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Dec 2016, 13:50

I would really love to see more insights/discoveries from the videos in the wiki articles. From a technical point of view, anything in the video is just for entertainment, it cannot be searched and takes 5 minutes and more to watch. Again not judging here, just saying that a video in a wiki only makes sense if the wiki-worthy content of the video has been added to the wiki. It's a very nice addition to any article though! Expecting wiki users to watch a video to get the information out of it is uncommon at best.

Chyros

11 Dec 2016, 13:54

Wodan wrote: I would really love to see more insights/discoveries from the videos in the wiki articles. From a technical point of view, anything in the video is just for entertainment, it cannot be searched and takes 5 minutes and more to watch. Again not judging here, just saying that a video in a wiki only makes sense if the wiki-worthy content of the video has been added to the wiki. It's a very nice addition to any article though! Expecting wiki users to watch a video to get the information out of it is uncommon at best.
Oh I agree, and if at some point I get more time on my hands (though that's starting to look unlikely xD) I'll learn myself wiki programming and add more info to the articles. I've used information from the wiki for my videos from time to time, so it only makes sense to put some of it back in as well :) . However, for the moment, I barely have time to even do the videos, as they each take 4-8 hours just to script, shoot and edit, not counting the time spent actually getting them :lol: .

Return to “Results”