Welcome to the Deskthority Awards 2017!

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 18:03

Welcome to The Deskthority Awards!
During this event, the keyboard community votes for the best in a number of input device related categories. They also determine the winner of The Deskthority Award, a special open category. The DTA are open awards. If you haven't yet registered, you're welcome to join and participate. Award winners will receive an exclusive Clack Factory Wingnut Trophkey. Vote in the final round to win prizes from our sponsors:

Category list:

The Deskthority Award • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results
The *Ping* Award • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results
Best keycaps • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results
Best artisan keycap • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results
Best keyswitch • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results
Best vintage keyboard or relic • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results
Best input device photo • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results
Best "other" input device • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results
Best project or innovation • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results
Best modern keyboard or company • Go to Round 1Round 2Round 3Results

Timetable:
Like in previous years, there are three rounds.

First round (Nov. 21 - 26)
In this round you can suggest nominees for each category. All suggestions will make it to round 2 unless otherwise noted.

Second round (Nov. 26 - Dec. 1)
Vote for suggested nominees from round 1 so that 5 nominees in each category (or the top 4 or top 3 when there aren't a lot of choices) make it to the last stage.

Third round (Dec. 1 - 6)
The finals. Vote for the best in each category.

Vote & win:
Final round voters can win various prizes provided by our sponsors. The winners will be selected randomly from the voters in the third round, and will be announced on Wednesday 6 December, 2017 at the end of the awards. You need a minimum of 10 posts on Deskthority before the vote ends to be included. See the sponsor announcements for details:
The Keyboard Company, Cooler Master, mykeyboard.eu, Pimp My Keyboard / SP, Vortex

The award winners:
The winners will be have been announced shortly after the vote closes on Wednesday 6 December 19:00hrs UTC.

Category winners (except for The *Ping*) will get a special Deskthority Awards Clack Factory Wingnut Trophkey! We commissioned the most famous of keycap artists, clickclack, to design and produce these trophy keycaps for the Awards. DTA winners will be the only people who legitimately receive these keycaps. The Deskthority Award winner will get a golden Wingnut; regular award winners will be awarded silver Wingnuts. If a winner is not a Deskthority member, that winner may not be successfully tracked down and contacted so a Wingnut can be shipped, as we're not the greatest detectives - however, in that case the Wingnut may be claimed until Sunday 1 July, 2018 by contacting webwit at Deskthority.

The DTA Clack Factory Wingnut Trophkeys awaiting shipment in formation.

Important: only one Wingnut is awarded for each winner. If you're a group and win, you have to timeshare, vote, draw, fight or do whatever your group decides, but you'll only get one Wingnut. The reason is that this award is exclusive and expensive, and that the problem of someone possibly missing out isn't solved by raising it to 2 or 3 for a group winning a category - there will always be a bigger group and someone missing out.

shinz0

21 Nov 2017, 19:14

so you "commissioned the most famous of keycap artists, clickclack, to design and produce these trophy keycaps for the Awards." but no artisan specific category?

what's the deal?

Meddle

21 Nov 2017, 19:15

No "Artisan Keycap" category is totally bummertown. :|

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 19:18

Post your artisan keycap nominees here:
call-for-nominees-f107/best-keycaps-t17731.html
"Please suggest nominees for the best keycap set, novelty keycap or artisan keycap in 2017"

shinz0

21 Nov 2017, 19:21

webwit wrote: Post your artisan keycap nominees here:
"Please suggest nominees for the best keycap set, novelty keycap or artisan keycap in 2017"
why group them together though? one is hand made in small batches, the other is mass produced by machinery.

will there be a winner for keyset, artisan and novelty. Or only the best of all three is the winner?
Last edited by shinz0 on 21 Nov 2017, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Nov 2017, 19:22

Remember to search for #DTA7 to find additional nominees!

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 19:26

shinz0 wrote: why group them together though? one is hand made in small batches, the other is mass produced by machinery.
We had some growth in number of categories the last years and now we want less but stronger categories, so in this case we merged this into one keycap category. Yeah the downside is that different stuff gets grouped together. Let's see if it works out.

Meddle

21 Nov 2017, 19:27

webwit wrote: Post your artisan keycap nominees here:
This seems to pit fairly unrelated categories against each other. Akin to have a "Best Input Device" category, as opposed to "Best mouse" and "Best keyboard".

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 19:30

Yeah maybe. One could also argue, if you got a nice set and a nice artisan keycap, you know which you like more and would mount on your keyboard if you could only have one of both. If it doesn't work out it might return next year.

Chert902

21 Nov 2017, 19:36

Surprised that, on top of the omission of Artisan, that there are no categories for best case, pcb, etc.... Would seem to make as much sense or more than best "other" input device. Maybe it's a sponsor thing.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 19:45

It's not a sponsor thing, it's just if you go by that philosophy you end up with over 20 categories (best group buy, best cable, best review, etc.), and people get tired after a couple. If it's a case, pcb developed by one or more community members, try best project. If it's from a company and you liked what they released this year, try best company.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Nov 2017, 19:58

lol @ the new accounts here that are clearly only on DT for DTA...

Compgeke

21 Nov 2017, 20:01

Hey man, we've gotta win those awards. It's time to start digging up all that stuff you photographed but never shoved on the forum.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 20:07

Like all previous years, these are open awards, and like last year, we invited other communities to join the festivities. So new accounts means it's working. Welcome to DT! Come now, let's all get together and cuddle. :D :?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Nov 2017, 20:25

Just so that no one is "undermotivated"...
IMGP2693.JPG
IMGP2693.JPG (923.78 KiB) Viewed 108042 times

snuci
Vintage computer guy

22 Nov 2017, 01:44

And for the wingnut in a slightly better setting...
Indy Wingnut.JPG
Indy Wingnut.JPG (286.46 KiB) Viewed 107810 times

JP!

22 Nov 2017, 01:54

Compgeke wrote: Hey man, we've gotta win those awards. It's time to start digging up all that stuff you photographed but never shoved on the forum.

Whoa, I had the same idea to take my IBM 5140 to Starbucks.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

22 Nov 2017, 02:00

JP! wrote: Whoa, I had the same idea to take my IBM 5140 to Starbucks.
You may want to rethink that... Not exactly the height of coolness (but I love the video) and I am a member of TPUG but not that extreme :)

codemonkeymike

22 Nov 2017, 02:09

snuci wrote:
JP! wrote: Whoa, I had the same idea to take my IBM 5140 to Starbucks.
You may want to rethink that... Not exactly the height of coolness (but I love the video) and I am a member of TPUG but not that extreme :)
Spoiler:
wonder how many of them are DT members

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

22 Nov 2017, 05:43

webwit wrote: Like all previous years, these are open awards, and like last year, we invited other communities to join the festivities. So new accounts means it's working. Welcome to DT! Come now, let's all get together and cuddle. :D :?
I wonder how many are trully interested by DT and how many are just baited by the wingnuts.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

22 Nov 2017, 08:30

Enjoy another year of awards everyone :D !

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Nov 2017, 20:48

Due to popular demand, I split the keycaps category and created an artisan keycap category.

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Nov 2017, 02:19

What is the rationale for having two rounds of voting anyway? Moreover, how many people change their mind in the second round?

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Nov 2017, 13:04

Only mere hours left to go to suggest nominees. Don't forget your favorites, speak now or forever hold your peace!

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Nov 2017, 20:01

The first round has ended, thanks for all your suggestions. The second round will begin soon...

REVENGE

29 Nov 2017, 00:52

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but are there any restrictions on nominated members voting (for themselves or other nominees)?

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Nov 2017, 08:54

No.

Chert902

01 Dec 2017, 16:36

Is there a specific time on Dec. 1 that final voting opens?

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Dec 2017, 16:37

20:00 CET.

Chert902

01 Dec 2017, 17:38

Thanks for the quick reply!

Return to “DTA news”