The Deskthority Award

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 18:04

Sponsored by:
Vote in the final round of this category to win a Varmilo VA68Mg and Filco Convertible 2 from The Keyboard Company!

Nomination rules:
Use this topic to suggest nominees for The Deskthority Award 2017. This is the main award and "super category," so anything goes. You can suggest a keyboard, company, keycap set, person, etc. It can be something or someone already nominated in another category as well. In fact, please post strong candidates from other categories. What has been extra special since November 26, 2016? Who earns the Golden Wingnut? You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. You cannot nominate yourself.

Current suggestions:
  • Kailh Box Switches
  • Matt3o because he is an active forum member, he is transparent on his projects, gathers input from other DT users, has made multiple projects come to life as real products (Hi profile, Whitefox, Elvish, etc) Sadly out of the running because he's an organizer of the DTA
  • IBM Model M and Cherry G80 for starting it all
  • Chyros / Chyrosran22 for his productions in 2017 in his youtube channel . He got me into the hobby, especially into vintage boards. Super informative and entertaining reviews.
  • "KeepClackingAnd..." for organizing "MECHANICON" in Germany
  • An abstract concept, the kindess of this community all around, I got helped so much, when I was a newbie and still to today (even though I'm just a more experienced noob :p). Love you people ! Thanks! But Deskthority cannot win its own awards I'm afraid ;)
  • Daniel Beardsmore for continuing to work on the wiki and starting to post pedantically again. The wiki really is an invaluable resource often taken for granted.
  • Kailh separately for actually innovating in the switch design space
  • The Board Podcast for providing us with free, high quality podcast episodes, videos and livestream around our keyboard community since their debut over a year ago.
  • oldisnew for his great efforts in converting various vintage keyboards, for example, the Harris Smart Terminal, xwhatsit Model F to USB
  • ruiqimao for creating the Keyboard Firmware Builder and making the use of JH's QMK software a lot easier
  • I'd like to nominate Wodan for his keyboard building videos, showing off and talking about good keyboard building practices.
  • HaaTa / Input club for furthering the hobby. All that work on force-graphs is truly amazing. I did love the Halo-true switch. I also like that input club is bringing better keyboards to the masses with their sponsoring of e-sport.
  • KBDFans, for bringing new good things for a cheap price!
The first round ends on Sunday 26 November, 19:00 UTC.

Chert902

21 Nov 2017, 19:21

Kailh Box Switches

codemonkeymike

21 Nov 2017, 20:13

Matt3o because he is an active forum member, he is transparent on his projects, gathers input from other DT users, has made multiple projects come to life as real products (Hi profile, Whitefox, Elvish, etc)

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 20:15

Ah, me and matt3o are out of the running because we're organizing this thing, so we cannot run ourselves. Sorry.

codemonkeymike

21 Nov 2017, 20:16

webwit wrote: Ah, me and matt3o are out of the running because we're organizing this thing, so we cannot run ourselves. Sorry.
Sun of a ghun. Well I guess I just have to write in Mickey Mouse

dreLLin

21 Nov 2017, 20:23

webwit wrote: Ah, me and matt3o are out of the running because we're organizing this thing, so we cannot run ourselves. Sorry.
That's sad to hear. Matt3o would absolutely deserve it :!:

recon8659

21 Nov 2017, 20:38

IBM Model M and Cherry G80 for starting it all.

recon8659

21 Nov 2017, 20:39

Chyros / Chyrosran22 youtube channel.

He got me into the hobby, especially into vintage boards.

Super informative and entertaining reviews.

codemonkeymike

21 Nov 2017, 20:44

Ok, well how about "KeepClackingAnd..." for organizing "MECHANICON" in Germany.

Myoth

21 Nov 2017, 20:59

I want to nominate an abstract concept, the kindess of this community all around, I got helped so much, when I was a newbie and still to today (even though I'm just a more experienced noob :p). Love you people !

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 21:30

recon8659 wrote: Chyros / Chyrosran22 youtube channel.

He got me into the hobby, especially into vintage boards.

Super informative and entertaining reviews.
Bit of a border case here, as he ran last year and before that. But since his production continues I added him for his production in 2017.
Myoth wrote: I want to nominate an abstract concept, the kindess of this community all around, I got helped so much, when I was a newbie and still to today (even though I'm just a more experienced noob :p). Love you people !
Thanks! But Deskthority cannot win its own awards I'm afraid ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 22:04

I just noticed the lady's keyboard is wireless, and the monitor is angled at an unusable position. :shock:

davkol

21 Nov 2017, 22:24

Daniel Beardsmore for continuing to work on wiki and starting to post pedantically again.

purdobol

21 Nov 2017, 22:29

davkol wrote: Daniel Beardsmore for continuing to work on wiki and starting to post pedantically again.
+1
Wiki really is invaluable resource often taken for granted.

Norman_

21 Nov 2017, 23:31

Can i nominate Kailh separately for actually innovating in the switch design space?

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 23:44

Yes you can.

OutragedPudding

22 Nov 2017, 09:20

I would like to nominate The Board Podcast for providing us with free, high quality podcast episodes, videos and livestream around our keyboard community since their debut over a year ago. They have released both quality "Time Capsules" in the form of MechMarket Reports/regular episodes as well as timeless entertainment such as One On One community personality interviews and "Boardroom" episodes with special guests all focusing on specific topics like 40% boards and their creators, specific switches like Topre, learning how to sculpt and cast artisans... so many things!

The hosts make an incredible amount of effort to bring regular, quality content despite time differences and challenges in hosting the show (props to Kevin for coming on the show despite being in an airport waiting room recently haha).

All in all, The Board Podcast is this amazing representation of our keyboard community and so what makes this hobby of ours so damn great. I don't know many people who have dedicated so much effort to provide hundreds and hundreds of hours of top-notch keyboard content and The Board deserves all the appreciation they can get ♡ I love them

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Nov 2017, 17:20

I hereby nominate oldisnew for his great efforts in converting various vintage keyboards as seen here:

Summary of posts:

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=13017

Example:
Harris Smart Terminal, xwhatsit Model F to USB
workshop-f7/harris-smart-terminal-xwhat ... 17456.html

sachin3767

23 Nov 2017, 14:44

I'd like to nominate ruiqimao for creating https://kbfirmware.com/ and making the use of JH's QMK software a lot easier.

Prelim

24 Nov 2017, 16:15

sachin3767 wrote: I'd like to nominate ruiqimao for creating https://kbfirmware.com/ and making the use of JH's QMK software a lot easier.
Seems to be that's a copy of TKG (TMK Keymap Generator), but using QMK instead of TMK

Khers

25 Nov 2017, 12:17

I'd like to nominate Wodan for his keyboard building videos, showing off and talking about good keyboard building practices.

TuxKey
LLAP

25 Nov 2017, 17:39

i would like to nominate HaaTa aka ‘Jacob Alexander’ and or the input club team..

Him doing all that work on force-graphs is truly amazing..
on that same note i can’t fully interpret them but that’s why i’m waiting for TopClack haha..to do the explanation vid...

Also i typed on the Halo-true switch and although i had to return the k-type because of other problems with it. I did love the switch..
Going back to my Topre switches i missed the true switch i guess that’s saying a lot.
i would love to tryout both the new hako switches..

Besides the work being done on Zeleos switches there is little to nothing happening when it comes to switches and real innovation..

That is until HaaTa started to mess around ;-)

Having said that Kailh is doing sum good work.. And thx to input club
the new Kailh box switches have names that fit and sound better then originally planned.

i also like that input club is bringing better keyboards to the masses with their sponsoring of e-sport.

so in short. i nominate HaaTa / Input club for furthering the hobby.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

25 Nov 2017, 18:11

Khers wrote: I'd like to nominate Wodan for his keyboard building videos, showing off and talking about good keyboard building practices.
+1

Polecat

25 Nov 2017, 22:27

purdobol wrote:
davkol wrote: Daniel Beardsmore for continuing to work on wiki and starting to post pedantically again.
+1
Wiki really is invaluable resource often taken for granted.
+1 for Daniel Beardsmore, for his sheer fortitude in dealing with the huge amount of information, and misinformation here. (especially mine...)

jkaos92

25 Nov 2017, 22:44

I'm not much a deskthority member but more like a lurker.
If i have to nominate a person here, I nominate my compatriot Matt3o! Great guy that i saw much more active here than reddit and other communities. I'm still sad for what happened with the whitefox tho

Otherwise i nominate KBDFans, for bringing new good things for a cheap price!

scottc

25 Nov 2017, 23:16

jkaos92 wrote: If i have to nominate a person here, I nominate my compatriot Matt3o!
Already nominated and disqualified, see the OP.

I second kbdfans though, they have some great stuff for sale.

jkaos92

25 Nov 2017, 23:22

scottc wrote:
jkaos92 wrote: If i have to nominate a person here, I nominate my compatriot Matt3o!
Already nominated and disqualified, see the OP.

I second kbdfans though, they have some great stuff for sale.

Ups my bad, well i guess my nomination is KBDFans ;)

Return to “Call for nominees”