The *Ping* Award

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 18:04

Sponsored by:
Vote in the final round of this category to win a Leopold FC980C Topre and 60% keyboard sleeve from mykeyboard.eu!

Nomination rules:
Use this category to name the worst keyboard or input device related experience after November 26, 2016. Anything goes. You must provide a short explanation for each suggestion. This category is named after the infamous Summer of Ping. You cannot nominate yourself.
The Deskthority Ballet performing "The *Ping*"

Current suggestions:
  • MrDuul and all associated accounts for driving up beamspring prices for a few months
  • massdrop for the I:C incident, for continuing to fail on numerous occasions, for shipping switches instead of entire board kits, for shipping items in packaging so terrible that items fall out or are damaged, and for not being able to tell left from right and shipping two left-handed ergodox boards
  • I:C for the massdrop incident
  • Invyr Panda's, the switches were a major disappointment. Touted as a wobble free super smooth factory lubed switch, it ended out being very scratchy (more so then Cherry MX Blacks) and that not all switches were lubed. Also international buyers had to wait many more months, some had to get refunds because the switches never showed up. Vendors had the switches available before most international buyers switches shipped.
  • TGR for hyping up 86us into expensiveness by posting a picture of a realforce box and a string of random numbers
  • The Pingmaster seller for the outrageous international shipping costs
  • Chyros for his typing skills (or lack thereof) and how he publicly indulges in showing it off. :twisted:
  • Lofree Dot, for being a widely social media promoted keyboard that ended up almost spammy. The keyboard had no real strong features or design aesthetics, which ended up with very strange construction features such as dual-switch modifiers and weird 2u keys, plus their followup of the Lofree Season which appears to be very uninspired revision of the Dot.
  • Zeal PC, the van keyboards, keyclack, 1up keyboards. They all deserve a nomination for milking the community. Prominent community members selling cheap stuff for serious dough to lesser versed members who don't know you can get the same thing for a lot less money. Sometimes the exact same thing, just with a HEAVY markup.
  • Zeal PC nomination is long overdue. Within a short 2-3 years life span, his switches went through as many revisions as Cherry MX in 30+ years. It goes to show how much efforts invested in R&D, which is very little. Zeal also has yet to offered partial refunds for his flawed switches from previous revisions. Instead, all we see is the same markup prices to milk the very community that helps him to be who he is today.
  • Signature Plastics for telling 7bit and his Round X GBs to fuck off because they would rather deal with assdrop than the guy who helped them develop a product people would actually like to purchase. (SA was shit before 7bit started working with them.)
The first round ends on Sunday 26 November, 19:00 UTC.

andrewjoy

21 Nov 2017, 18:05

Can i nominate myself for the length of time it took to get my elecplus group buy finished ?

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 18:16

I nominate andrewjoy for nominating himself. :lol:

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Nov 2017, 18:48

I nominate MrDuul and all associated accounts for driving up beamspring prices for a few months :lol:

E3E

21 Nov 2017, 18:50

mike52787 wrote: I nominate MrDuul and all associated accounts for driving up beamspring prices for a few months :lol:
:evil:

Khers

21 Nov 2017, 18:58

I want to nominate massdrop for the I:C incident and I want to nominate I:C for the massdrop incident.

akawillis

21 Nov 2017, 19:14

I second massdrop for continuing to fail on numerous occasions

Chert902

21 Nov 2017, 19:24

Massdrop for not being able to tell left from right.

OutragedPudding

21 Nov 2017, 19:43

Massdrop needs to win this for their involvement in [I.C] collab switches, missing parts, shipping switches instead of entire board kits, shipping items in packaging so terrible that items fall out or are damaged and also shipping two left-handed ergodox boards to people. That's not even everything they've done since last year and the list keeps getting bigger every week or so

codemonkeymike

21 Nov 2017, 19:54

Chert902 wrote: Massdrop for not being able to tell left from right.
Welcome to Deskthority
akawillis wrote: I second massdrop for continuing to fail on numerous occasions
Welcome to Deskthority

My choice would be Invyr Panda's, the switches were a major disappointment. Touted as a wobble free super smooth factory lubed switch, it ended out being very scratchy (more so then Cherry MX Blacks) and that not all switches were lubed. Also international buyers had to wait many more months, some had to get refunds because the switches never showed up. Vendors had the switches available before most international buyers switches shipped. I know Invyr at GH was trying his hardest, but it doesn't downplay how disappointed people were.

Myoth

21 Nov 2017, 20:56

TGR for hyping up 86us into expensiveness

Lustique

21 Nov 2017, 21:21

The Pingmaster seller for the outrageous international shipping costs.

davkol

21 Nov 2017, 22:20

Uh, Massderp has already been nominated.

So, I nominate Chyros for his typing skills (or lack thereof) and how he publicly indulges in showing it off. :twisted:

Chyros

21 Nov 2017, 22:35

davkol wrote: So, I nominate Chyros for his typing skills (or lack thereof) and how he publicly indulges in showing it off. :twisted:
Hahaha I should've SO seen this coming xD .

subcat

22 Nov 2017, 02:03

Myoth wrote: TGR for hyping up 86us into expensiveness
seconded, tgr for posting a picture of a realforce box and a string of random numbers, thus leading 86us to sell for $300+

flehrad

22 Nov 2017, 08:42

The Lofree Dot, for being a widely social media promoted keyboard that ended up almost spammy. The keyboard had no real strong features or design aesthetics, which ended up with very strange construction features such as dual-switch modifiers and weird 2u keys, plus their followup of the Lofree Season which appears to be very uninspired revision of the Dot.

Khers

22 Nov 2017, 13:53

Zeal PC, the van keyboards, keyclack, 1up keyboards.

They all deserve a nomination for milking the community. Prominent community members selling cheap stuff for serious dough to lesser versed members who don't know you can get the same thing for a lot less money. Sometimes the exact same thing, just with a HEAVY markup.

Delirious

22 Nov 2017, 20:37

Khers wrote: Zeal PC, the van keyboards, keyclack, 1up keyboards.

They all deserve a nomination for milking the community. Prominent community members selling cheap stuff for serious dough to lesser versed members who don't know you can get the same thing for a lot less money. Sometimes the exact same thing, just with a HEAVY markup.
Zeal PC nomination is long overdue. Within a short 2-3 years life span, his switches went through as many revisions as Cherry MX in 30+ years. It goes to show how much efforts invested in R&D, which is very little. Zeal also has yet to offered partial refunds for his flawed switches from previous revisions. Instead, all we see is the same markup prices to milk the very community that helps him to be who he is today.

Khers

25 Nov 2017, 13:52

Another nomination from my side:
Signature Plastics for telling 7bit and his Round X GBs to fuck off because they would rather deal with assdrop than the guy who helped them develop a product people would actually like to purchase. (SA was shit before 7bit started working with them.)

scottc

25 Nov 2017, 16:29

Khers wrote: Another nomination from my side:
Signature Plastics for telling 7bit and his Round X GBs to fuck off because they would rather deal with assdrop than the guy who helped them develop a product people would actually like to purchase. (SA was shit before 7bit started working with them.)
Hahah, yes, 100 times this.

jkaos92

25 Nov 2017, 22:38

Massdrop from being assdrop Gold diggers, almost 2018 and they still didn't found a proxy to EU. The only good things about them is being a big company that could reach big MOQs, apart from that the last year showed that different proxies can work at the same way (e.g. GMK 9009 and other things multi-proxied), they are still not like massdrop but at least they care a bit about the community.
Also the last year fuckups were incredible.

ZealPC The initial idea and price was ok, but now after years the price is just slightly lower. 0.85 usually, 0.75 in GBs. This is a crazy price for Gaterons. After all this time, since the Zealio is an amazing switch, i would have expected a massproduced Zealio on every keyboard (yeah even on gamers keyboards) but this will never have a chance to happen due Zeal. Also no gateron clear tactile cuz Zeal.

chuckdee

25 Nov 2017, 23:36

jkaos92 wrote: Massdrop from being assdrop Gold diggers, almost 2018 and they still didn't found a proxy to EU. The only good things about them is being a big company that could reach big MOQs, apart from that the last year showed that different proxies can work at the same way (e.g. GMK 9009 and other things multi-proxied), they are still not like massdrop but at least they care a bit about the community.

ZealPC The initial idea and price was ok, but now after years the price is just slightly lower. 0.85 usually, 0.75 in GBs. This is a crazy price for Gaterons. After all this time, since the Zealio is an amazing switch, i would have expected a massproduced Zealio on every keyboard (yeah even on gamers keyboards) but this will never have a chance to happen due Zeal. Also no gateron clear tactile cuz Zeal.
Both have already been nominated.

jkaos92

25 Nov 2017, 23:42

chuckdee wrote:
jkaos92 wrote: Massdrop from being assdrop Gold diggers, almost 2018 and they still didn't found a proxy to EU. The only good things about them is being a big company that could reach big MOQs, apart from that the last year showed that different proxies can work at the same way (e.g. GMK 9009 and other things multi-proxied), they are still not like massdrop but at least they care a bit about the community.

Both have already been nominated.
I'm retarded and sorry :?

Seriously wanted just to add more "reasons", not sure if there will be listed reasons of the nomination.

SAisBAE

26 Nov 2017, 21:40

1up and the $378 carbon fiber TKL

Pete got into a microcenter and was offering a $378 kit that was sandwich acrylic without a middle layer, leading to an exposed PCB. Still defends the price as fair and fails to see why people would rather have a top mounted aluminum board at that price.

People already talking about the flippy nature of the site.
Last edited by SAisBAE on 26 Nov 2017, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Nov 2017, 21:42

Too late! The next round has just started.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Nov 2017, 22:40

ramnes for missing DT awards call for nominees

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Nov 2017, 22:43

subcat wrote:
Myoth wrote: TGR for hyping up 86us into expensiveness
seconded, tgr for posting a picture of a realforce box and a string of random numbers, thus leading 86us to sell for $300+
Where? :lol:

evangs

27 Nov 2017, 15:41

I normally just let stuff like this go, but this is simply inaccurate. Nearly everything TheVan Keyboards sells are things that we have designed and created. so you can't get the same stuff somewhere else. There is such a thing as development cost not to mention that I have gone out of my way to include support for very niche things that no one else is supporting as well as buying up inventory to meet moq. I've got 30 plus Alps international kits for LightCycle sitting in a box that will probably never find a home. You act as if I am swimming in cash and that simply isn't true. I find your post extremely disrespectful, but you are entitled to your opinion. Please, however, do not spread false information.

andrewjoy

27 Nov 2017, 17:08

evangs wrote:

I normally just let stuff like this go, but this is simply inaccurate. Nearly everything TheVan Keyboards sells are things that we have designed and created. so you can't get the same stuff somewhere else. There is such a thing as development cost not to mention that I have gone out of my way to include support for very niche things that no one else is supporting as well as buying up inventory to meet moq. I've got 30 plus Alps international kits for LightCycle sitting in a box that will probably never find a home. You act as if I am swimming in cash and that simply isn't true. I find your post extremely disrespectful, but you are entitled to your opinion. Please, however, do not spread false information.

Alps caps you say ? Do tell i may be interested .

chuckdee

27 Nov 2017, 18:56

evangs wrote:

Thanks for this response. I was going to, but shied away from the drama that saying it myself would cause. I remember when I was first starting out and you were starting the MiniVan, and how you really helped me to understand the costs, taking the time to educate me on a few areas. I can't thank you enough for that, and one of the smoothest buys I've ever participated in. That buy helped me to extend trust to others, despite the fact that my mind tells me otherwise. :lol:

Thanks again for all that you do.

(I could write the same thing about jchan and keyclack also. He's had his problems as of late, but I disagree with the nomination for him, also.)

Return to “Call for nominees”