Best keyswitch

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 18:04

Sponsored by:
Vote in the final round of this category to win 3 keycap sets, a grab bag, and SP hats from Pimp My Keyboard/SP!

Nomination rules:
Please suggest nominees for the best keyswitch in 2017. You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. It may be an old switch or newly released switch. You cannot nominate switches you are selling or associated with.

Current suggestions:
  • Vintage MX black... because it's the best linear switch obviously!
  • Retooled Cherry MX Blacks, they are as smooth as vintage blacks
  • Kailh (Pro) Purple, it's a genuinly nice, tactile switch, of which there aren't too many of
  • Kailh BOX white, because click bar and awesome
  • Beamsprings, the switch everyone should get to try out :D
  • Kailh Box Heavy Pale Blue
  • IBMs buckling springs - click clack, click clack
  • Green alps as they are a loverly linier switch, just the right weight, sound amazing and are quite smooth
  • Non-Dampened SKCM Cream, although they are niche and not very known about, they feel veryyyy good. Just overall perfect :D
  • Cherry Silent MX linears -- lovely switches when lubed and eerily quiet
  • Alps SKCC Green, they are superb linear switches which are available NOS at a reasonable price (excl. shipping to EU) in the form of Pingmasters. Great weighting and really, really smooth, can't ask more from linears.
  • Alps SKCM Brown, because they're currently hipster switch of the year and deserve the nomination.
  • Alps SKCM Blue, one of (if not the best) best sounding switches
  • jailhouse blues: an unique tactile MX-type switch, optionally very quiet, and a brilliant modding idea in the first place.
  • Skcm Orange alps timeless and relatively accessible
  • Kailh x Novelkey's Big Switch Blues. It helps clicky lovers like myself share the love of clickies to the rest of the world!
  • I really like the Kalih Speed Bronze switches.
  • Matias Quiet Click – because it carries on the Alps tradition and is a great compromise between your own touch (tactility) and the sanity of those around you (dampened up and down stroke)
  • I call for MX Silent Blacks also ;)
  • Futaba MA series for being a highly underrated and overlooked clicky switch, quite a few DT users have discovered this gem
  • 30g topre, because it is seldom talked about but offers a very unique and take on one of the most well-respected switches available :)
  • Ergo-Clears: a classic but still amazing. I like it lubed and with a 67g spring instead of a 62g classic spring.
The first round ends on Sunday 26 November, 19:00 UTC.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Nov 2017, 18:31

Vintage MX black... because it's the best linear switch obviously! :lol:

dreLLin

21 Nov 2017, 19:00

Retooled Cherry MX Blacks. They are as smooth as vintage blacks.

TapX

21 Nov 2017, 19:10

Kailh (Pro) Purple. It's a genuinly nice, tactile switch, of which there aren't too many of.

akawillis

21 Nov 2017, 19:11

Kailh BOX white, because click bar and awesome

Chyros

21 Nov 2017, 19:23

Beamsprings. The switch everyone should get to try out :D .

Chert902

21 Nov 2017, 19:25

Kailh Box Heavy Pale Blue

Khers

21 Nov 2017, 19:29

I want to nominate IBMs buckling springs. Click clack, click clack.

(They share enough similarities to be lumped together)
Last edited by Khers on 21 Nov 2017, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

21 Nov 2017, 19:30

I will nominate green alps as they are a loverly linier switch , just the right weight , sound amazing and are quite smooth.

Chyros

21 Nov 2017, 19:32

andrewjoy wrote: I will nominate green alps as they are a loverly linier switch , just the right weight , sound amazing and are quite smooth.
Aw man, if only all linears were like SKCL Green :D .

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Nov 2017, 19:33

Chyros wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: I will nominate green alps as they are a loverly linier switch , just the right weight , sound amazing and are quite smooth.
I couldnt disagree more if I tried

Khers

21 Nov 2017, 19:34

Chyros wrote:
How come you like green alps but dislike brown mx? They feel absolutely identical with their faint tactility. :roll:

Chyros

21 Nov 2017, 19:37

Khers wrote:
Chyros wrote:
How come you like green alps but dislike brown mx? They feel absolutely identical with their faint tactility. :roll:
Hahahaha xD .

I have an SKCL Green review planned for hopefully not too long into the New Year, I can't wait to revisit them :D .

Myoth

21 Nov 2017, 19:49

Non-Dampened SKCM Cream, although they are niche and not very known about, they feel veryyyy good. Just overall perfect :D

LightningXI

21 Nov 2017, 19:52

Cherry Silent MX linears -- lovely switches when lubed and eerily quiet.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Nov 2017, 20:00

Myoth wrote: Non-Dampened SKCM Cream, although they are niche and not very known about, they feel veryyyy good. Just overall perfect :D
+1 for my favorite tactile switch

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

21 Nov 2017, 20:05

Alps SKCC Green, they are superb linear switches which are available NOS at a reasonable price (excl. shipping to EU) in the form of Pingmasters. Great weighting and really, really smooth, can't ask more from linears.

E3E

21 Nov 2017, 20:09

Alps SKCM Brown, because they're currently hipster switch of the year and deserve the nomination.

I'd nominate SKCL Cream or SKCL Brown or SKCL Striped Amber but they're all too obscure

recon8659

21 Nov 2017, 20:17

Alps SKCM Blue, one of (if not the best) best sounding switches

wiki/Alps_SKCM_Blue
Last edited by recon8659 on 21 Nov 2017, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

codemonkeymike

21 Nov 2017, 20:19

E3E wrote: Alps SKCM Brown, because they're currently hipster switch of the year and deserve the nomination.

I'd nominate SKCL Cream or SKCL Brown or SKCL Striped Amber but they're all too obscure
Beat me to it, SKCM Browns are some of the most interesting discrete switches out there.

davkol

21 Nov 2017, 21:36

jailhouse blues: an unique tactile MX-type switch, optionally very quiet, and a brilliant modding idea in the first place.

kekstee

21 Nov 2017, 21:54

Can we somehow create a full rainbow if I nominate SKCM Orange?

depletedvespene

21 Nov 2017, 23:49

Khers wrote: I want to nominate IBMs buckling springs. Click clack, click clack.
Came here to say this. I therefore second your nomination.

codemonkeymike

22 Nov 2017, 00:31

depletedvespene wrote:
Khers wrote: I want to nominate IBMs buckling springs. Click clack, click clack.
Came here to say this. I therefore second your nomination.
Model F or Model M, I wouldn't consider them the same.

depletedvespene

22 Nov 2017, 00:36

I... was hoping that question wouldn't come up. ;-)

The_Boom_Boy

22 Nov 2017, 04:15

Skcm Orange alps timeless and relatively accessible

flehrad

22 Nov 2017, 08:59

Kailh x Novelkey's Big Switch Blues. It helps clicky lovers like myself share the love of clickies to the rest of the world!

SpacemanToby

22 Nov 2017, 15:24

mike52787 wrote:
Chyros wrote:
I couldnt disagree more if I tried

I have one green alps on my board and I'm constantly wishing I had a whole keyboard of them.

HeroXLazer

22 Nov 2017, 17:08

I really like the Kalih Speed Bronze switches.

koduh

22 Nov 2017, 17:20

Jailhouse Blues - Jspacers made by TheVanKeyboards make this mod simple.

Return to “Call for nominees”