Best artisan keycap

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

25 Nov 2017, 18:02

scottc wrote: Also, I'd like to nominate Maos Keys/Maos Store on AliExpress for actually selling artisan keycaps at a more reasonable price-point (~$5-7 shipped):

:mrgreen:
Yes! We needed this so much in our life! :lol:

Khers

25 Nov 2017, 19:04

dickeroni wrote: Jelly Key [...]
The broken stem is supposed to be indicative of their quality?

dalesnail

25 Nov 2017, 19:52

Forgot DT was a forum for boomers

scottc

25 Nov 2017, 20:00

dalesnail wrote: Forgot DT was a forum for boomers
So artisans are a millennial thing? You heard it here first, folks. :lol:

Lustique

25 Nov 2017, 20:09

Then I must be older than I thought I was. :lol:

scottc

25 Nov 2017, 20:13

Me too. :shock:

DanielT

25 Nov 2017, 20:18

Yeah, fartisans are for toddlers :lol: #saltyedgelordfk

Lustique

25 Nov 2017, 20:23

Menuhin wrote: […]
@Lustique
You and many friends in Europe especially in Germany do not get it - people can make money out of thin air, such as selling stocks of "conceptual companies", and reselling the shares with much raised price. These caps are better, at least you can touch them - you see improvements and something is definitely created.
With a whole bunch of collaborators, hidden or not with multiple usernames on /r/MK or GH, some of these keys worked on their branding, and marketing, and creating hype and publicity.

What's the difference from spending $100 on well-known artisan key cap versus spending $100 creating a custom key cap on Shapeway out of premium silver?

The difference is I can definitely get back $90 or probably even more like $150-$200 if I put my money in the "right artisan caps". There is no market for a custom-made Shapeway key, especially if, say, the one uses their own name as the design, even when it is made of silver. If I won a few artisan caps raffles this year, and if I put waiting time of about 2-3 months, I might have enough money to pay 1-3 months rent.

For silver articles, it's better to like into things like used Tiffany rings, at least they have real resale potential.

[…]
Yeah, I don't have any problems with that, i.e. you seeing those caps as an investment. I guess that kind of makes you an art dealer, right? I also get that making these things takes skill, don't get me wrong. I'd just never put one of those on a keyboard, probably not even the ones that are still shaped like a proper keycap. When I use my keyboard, I rarely look at it anyway, so most of the time the only things I notice are the typing feel and the noise, so why would I sacrifice typing feel over looks? I don't even want to think about what some of these artisans would do to Vim users if used as an escape key. I also think that most artisans simply look gaudy beyond measure. To me, they stick out like a sore thumb on pretty much any keyboard, but I already have this opinion about the ANSI pipe key (‘|\’), so I'm probably a little bit extreme there…

I'd guess one of those silver caps would be even worse to use than one of those skull or puffer fish caps. If that's actual silver, these caps probably weigh more than 10g. That can't be good for typing or the switch they're put on.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Nov 2017, 20:27

dickeroni wrote: Jelly Key - For creating very impressive and unique little pieces of art.

These are wonderful.

Nuum

25 Nov 2017, 20:39

Yeah, those Jelly Keys are awesome, especially the first one! Probably the best and most useful artisan keycaps posted so far. I'm not into artisan keycaps anymore, but I'd get those.

chuckdee

25 Nov 2017, 21:04

Menuhin wrote: @scottc
I totally agree with this price! All artisan should not be too much more than double the price of a Shapeway cap.
People on /r/MK complain about these being "fake" or "counterfeit", I would suggest the one using these for the sale on Aliexpress to add a big mole of the face of these robots and skull - still like almost like all others.
Maybe if it's 3-d printed, but everyone doesn't do that, and there's a lot of painstaking work that goes into creating an artisan in those cases.

jkaos92

25 Nov 2017, 21:30

Not sure why many are nominating Artisan makers instead of artisans.
Many will vote for GAF sculpts because these are popular right now (and yeah nice sculpts), but i think the best artisan is still the Orochi (by Keyforge). I'm not naming it for my clear love for this sculpt but because it is extremely detailed and well made. I also appreciate the effort to make an artisan.
Also i got into Artisans when i saw the Orochi on reddit (and still have to get one lul) so i can't nominate any other artisan even if i like many different sculpts.

If we want to nominate an Artisan maker, i like many of them but i think my nomination would still go to Keyforge because imho from the Jade Empire sale he did something too good and made people crazy for them (so both Shishi and Orochi). S

I prefer Orochi for the sculpt, but the Shishi is also hard to not like, detailed and actually a clickable cap (differently from the Orochi). Basically i love both these sculpts but my vote goes to Orochi!

Judge yourself (stole some pics around, sorry for that):

And some nice shishi to make everyone happy!

Cheers DT

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

25 Nov 2017, 22:05

You heard it here first boys, You must be 50+ to register a DT account

kbdfr
The Tiproman

26 Nov 2017, 09:23

webwit wrote:
dickeroni wrote: Jelly Key - For creating very impressive and unique little pieces of art.

These are wonderful.
Very nice indeed - you can even use them as keycaps :mrgreen:

On a serious note, I probably wouldn't have lost a single word about artisan keycaps
if they hadn't started with skulls, grim-looking faces and other savage designs.
I still don't get how people can drool over such things - perhaps they won't after the next global war.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

26 Nov 2017, 09:27

Indeed:
off-topic-f10/keyboard-enthusiast-age-s ... 13274.html
Oh wait, going by wikipedia's definition they are a clear (and probably even over-represented) minority :lol:

Anyway, thank you for your rich contribution to DT (even if restricted to DTA awards) since registering just a few days ago:
search.php?author_id=14175&sr=posts
I for one would be ashamed of registering on a forum I despise just in order to have a chance of winning something,
but well, I obviously belong to a minority :lol:

Meddle

26 Nov 2017, 10:57

scottc wrote: Also, I'd like to nominate Maos Keys/Maos Store on AliExpress for actually selling artisan keycaps at a more reasonable price-point (~$5-7 shipped):

:mrgreen:
Yikes, for real?

DanielT

26 Nov 2017, 11:19

kbdfr wrote:
Indeed:
Oh wait, going by wikipedia's definition they are a clear (and probably even over-represented) minority :lol:

Anyway, thank you for your rich contribution to DT (even if restricted to DTA awards) since registering just a few days ago:
I for one would be ashamed of registering on a forum I despise just in order to have a chance of winning something,
Rare Clacks like the Wingnuts make great magpie bait, as I’ve said, if we want to see trully interested people we should ditch the wingnuts, but I’m wasting my breath over nothing ....

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Nov 2017, 16:42

DanielT wrote: Rare Clacks like the Wingnuts make great magpie bait, as I’ve said, if we want to see trully interested people we should ditch the wingnuts, but I’m wasting my breath over nothing ....
A valid agruement if you ask me.

Fun fact: since DTA2017 started and I posted my gold Wingnit in the "[DTA news] Welcome to the Deskthority Awards 2017!"thread I got a PM from someone recently I've never seen here before asking me if I might sell it for $$$$$...I made it clear I would never regardless of the offer....
Spoiler:
IMG_20171126_163851.jpg
IMG_20171126_163851.jpg (824.72 KiB) Viewed 18945 times

dalesnail

26 Nov 2017, 18:54

kbdfr wrote:
Indeed:

I registered to bring up that the keycap category should be split up, not to win anything. I nominated other people, not myself.

Don't hate this forum, but it is generally seen (and rightfully so) as a place hostile to artisans, and I just so happen to like artisans. Not my fault that when the people complain here it's usually to the tune of a boomer yelling at kids playing video games instead of with a stick.

seebart

26 Nov 2017, 19:48

dalesnail wrote: Don't hate this forum, but it is generally seen (and rightfully so) as a place hostile to artisans, and I just so happen to like artisans.
I don't think we're "hostile" towards artisans here;
dalesnail wrote: Not my fault that when the people complain here it's usually to the tune of a boomer yelling at kids playing video games instead of with a stick.
:o :roll:

That's a pretty "harsh" analogy. DT is not made up of "boomers" and we don't yell...OK sometimes but not very often.
main-qimg-bd67cb09ac4cbd68b824d21c7bea5388-c.jpg
main-qimg-bd67cb09ac4cbd68b824d21c7bea5388-c.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 18910 times

chuckdee

26 Nov 2017, 20:23

kbdfr wrote:
Indeed:

We invited them on other communities. Bashing on someone who registered at our invitation seems bad form.

DanielT

26 Nov 2017, 20:34

chuckdee wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
Indeed:

We invited them on other communities. Bashing on someone who registered at our invitation seems bad form.
Same goes for talking behind your back, joining chats only for taking screenshots and posting that in other places, and basically being a cunt. The keyboard world is way too big today for “nice” and “decent”.

seebart

26 Nov 2017, 20:47

chuckdee wrote: We invited them on other communities. Bashing on someone who registered at our invitation seems bad form.
I don't believe anyone was explicitly invited to register at DT ?!? If so there must have been a written invitation not just a DTA-promo, not the same thing.

chuckdee

26 Nov 2017, 21:01

DanielT wrote:
chuckdee wrote:
kbdfr wrote: Indeed:

Same goes for talking behind your back, joining chats only for taking screenshots and posting that in other places, and basically being a cunt. The keyboard world is way too big today for “nice” and “decent”.

I have absolutely no idea what all that is about. But I do know the part about registering just to have a chance of winning something seems out of place.
seebart wrote:
chuckdee wrote: We invited them on other communities. Bashing on someone who registered at our invitation seems bad form.
I don't believe anyone was explicitly invited to register at DT ?!? If so there must have been a written invitation not just a DTA-promo, not the same thing.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92 ... msg2525337

That might not have particularly said register, but if I'd received that and wasn't already registered, I think I'd register in order to participate in the festivities.

zacheadams

26 Nov 2017, 21:28

DanielT wrote: Same goes for talking behind your back, joining chats only for taking screenshots and posting that in other places, and basically being a cunt. The keyboard world is way too big today for “nice” and “decent”.
People like you are sure fighting to keep it that way. Shocker, you're an asshole and a misogynist.

If I could do one thing with my tenure in the Keyboard Community, it's be absolutely sure it's a nicer place for the next wave of newcomers by keeping absolutely rotten attitudes like you out of it.

Not sure why it matters that I or anyone else is a lurker here, we all inhabit the same hobby space. There are people working their butts off to hone their craft here and it sucks to have others show up and just say their work is meaningless. Is it so hard to be nice to other people, respect their interests, and not be an overall shitter? No? Then fucking don't show up. Go take your toxicity elsewhere.

seebart

26 Nov 2017, 21:33

Wow this artisan "topic" is really heating up here...
Spoiler:
duh_o_829557.jpg
duh_o_829557.jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 18863 times
Last edited by seebart on 26 Nov 2017, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

Lustique

26 Nov 2017, 21:35

zacheadams wrote: […] Shocker, you're an asshole and a misogynist. […]
Because he wrote ‘cunt’? :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Nov 2017, 21:46

chuckdee wrote: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92 ... msg2525337

That might not have particularly said register, but if I'd received that and wasn't already registered, I think I'd register in order to participate in the festivities.
Also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... 7_you_are/

And:
dta-news-f106/welcome-to-the-deskthorit ... ote]During this event, the keyboard community votes for the best in a number of input device related categories. They also determine the winner of The Deskthority Award, a special open category. The DTA are open awards. If you haven't yet registered, you're welcome to join and participate.[/quote]

Compgeke

26 Nov 2017, 22:08

DanielT wrote: Same goes for wah wah wah wah wah
zacheadams wrote: People like you are sure wah wah wah wah wah
Can we please try and chill a bit? The DTAs aren't a serious super duper prestige award so we don't need to try and start riots over whatever it is we want to riot over.

davkol

26 Nov 2017, 22:16

Riots are fun though.

Return to “Call for nominees”