12%
Logitech MX ERGO Wireless Trackball
15%

Total votes: 148

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Dec 2017, 20:02

Sponsored by:
Vote in this category to win a Varmilo VA68Mg and Filco Convertible 2 from The Keyboard Company!

Round 3 rules:
Please vote for the best "other" input device of 2017.

This is the final round. See the first round and second round for reference.

The final round ends on Wednesday 6 December, 19:00 UTC. You can change your vote until the end of the round by resubmitting the poll. The winner and full results will be released soon after the vote closes.

Official nominees:

Kinesis Freestyle Edge
Kinesis brought to market a fairly standard split keyboard with general retail availability. Unlike the Matias Ergo Pro, which uses Matias switches, the Freestyle Edge has Cherry MX switches and supports a huge amount of widely available caps. The included software for programming the keyboard also doesn't require any installation or user registration. It's a breath of fresh air compared to needing to register an account just to download drivers.

The Freestyle Edge is the first split keyboard designed specifically for gaming, engineered to meet the strictest standards for quality and design, with stripped out gimmicks and focus on comfort, control, and performance.

Iris Keyboard
The Iris Keyboard by Keebio is a split ergonomic keyboard with 4x6 vertically staggered keys and 3 or 4 thumb keys. It takes a more simplistic and portable approach to an ergo keyboard (compared to say the ErgoDox). It also can be fully outfitted with a standard key set, no special keys. Lastly it has Alps compatibility.

Each half of the board is a 4x6 matrix with the same vertical stagger as the Ergodox and with 3-4 thumb keys.

Elecom HUGE Trackball
The Elecom HUGE trackball is an excellent trackball, with more buttons than any other trackball, a large ball, fast DPI switch and comfortable grip. It's a strong competitor for the Kensington Expert Wireless. Not just an update of an existing model, but a completely different and new design from Elecom. The size is HUGE - this is one of the biggest trackballs available.

Finally a modern large ergonomic trackball, a niche that was empty for a whole decade..

Keyboardio Model 01 Keyboard
Keyboardio's Model 01 is not like other keyboards. The enclosure is milled from two blocks of solid maple that are a joy to rest your hands on. Instead of shallow, uncomfortable keyswitches, Matias Quiet Click ALPS-mount keyswitches are used. The 64 individual keycaps on the Model 01 are custom-sculpted. It comes with source code & a screwdriver.
Keyboardio pushed the idea of a programmable ergo keyboard further, and delivered an heirloom-grade keyboard for serious typists.

Logitech MX ERGO Wireless Trackball
Logitech's MX ERGO is their most advanced trackball for trackball enthusiasts and consumers searching for alternatives to mice and touchpads. Delivers 20% less muscular strain compared to a regular mouse. MX ERGO features a unique adjustable hinge for personalized comfort and the latest tracking, scrolling and power management technology. Logitech FLOW™ enables effortless cross computer control.

Finally a trackball you can truly call your own. A unique adjustable hinge allows you to choose the best angle between 0°and 20° for a more natural hand position and greater comfort..

7bit

01 Dec 2017, 21:24

The Iris Keyboard is the only innovative item here. It connects the insanity of the Space Cadet keyboard with the elegance of a reduced ErgoDox!
:ugeek:

purdobol

01 Dec 2017, 21:35

7bit wrote: The Iris Keyboard is the only innovative item here. It connects the insanity of the Space Cadet keyboard with the elegance of a reduced ErgoDox!

davkol

01 Dec 2017, 23:45

None of these are "innovative" per say.

Kinesis Freestyle Edge is pretty much the old Freestyle, but with MX switches instead of rubber domes. The configuration features are quite neat though (but they were in the Advantage 2 already).

Iris look like yet another reduced ErgoDox. It's no Dactyl or ManuForm that did actually bring something new. That said, it's probably the only kit that I'd consider out of all these (minidox, diverge, mitosis etc.).

Keyboard.io's revived Japanese M-Type design, which is neat as well as the whole package. I'm mostly impressed by the project itself though… from the beginning at forums to the delivered factory-made product. That's why I voted for it anyway.

Elecom HUGE is only a modern resurrection of asymmetrical trackballs from around 2000: MS Trackball Explorer, Logitech TrackMan Marble FX, Kensington TurboRing and some lesser known models. Too bad the market died for so long, but it's good that it's back.

At last but not least, Logitech MX Ergo appears to be a decent product… that's mostly because it replaces the outdated M570 of questionable quality.

mecano

02 Dec 2017, 16:12

well put, I keep my marble fx though, that Elecom miss the point with the ball position, you can't check hand.

Kurplop

02 Dec 2017, 21:39

Few things are truly original leaps; most are just baby steps and nuanced improvements in existing products and ideas. There is great merit in this. A proven design shouldn’t be radically changed. I cast my vote for the only product in the running that I would be willing to share space on my desk with (if I was in the market for a new input device).

codemonkeymike

03 Dec 2017, 01:09

davkol wrote: None of these are "innovative" per say.
Iris look like yet another reduced ErgoDox. It's no Dactyl or ManuForm that did actually bring something new. That said, it's probably the only kit that I'd consider out of all these (minidox, diverge, mitosis etc.).
Dactyl was up on shape ways over a year ago so, or I would have nominated it. Not sure it really counts thought because it is not really being sold as a complete product or kit.

Menuhin

03 Dec 2017, 02:39

I actually can't see anything above is "other", but it depends on how one defines "other": (split) keyboard, keyboard, trackball, keyboard, trackball. As if ergo form factor and trackball are already alternative enough in the definition of "other".

Instead, I and probably not many of us can think out of the box so well for "other" ways of implementing input device.

mecano

03 Dec 2017, 11:32

This is old techno as well, and if you go that way, Hawking eye scanner system has been open source since 2014, me too did not expect to see keyboard devices mentioned here though. You can think as well of bluetooth finger rings, foot pedals, scanners, pens that digitize as you write, connected clothes that trigger events at body signals (heat, pulse), etc.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Dec 2017, 12:25

Please suggest nominees for the best "other" input device in 2017. This can be an ergonomic keyboard, a mouse, a trackball, etc. Anything alternative from the mainstream tenkeyless, full, and 60% keyboards.
call-for-nominees-f107/best-other-input ... 17735.html

Menuhin

03 Dec 2017, 14:08

webwit wrote:
Please suggest nominees for the best "other" input device in 2017. This can be an ergonomic keyboard, a mouse, a trackball, etc. Anything alternative from the mainstream tenkeyless, full, and 60% keyboards.
Yea, I checked out that thread to, so passively. Hoping some elders would nominate something really "other".

nsmechkb

03 Dec 2017, 18:00

Menuhin wrote: I actually can't see anything above is "other", but it depends on how one defines "other": (split) keyboard, keyboard, trackball, keyboard, trackball. As if ergo form factor and trackball are already alternative enough in the definition of "other".

Instead, I and probably not many of us can think out of the box so well for "other" ways of implementing input device.
This is really cool. Thanks for linking it!

mecano

03 Dec 2017, 23:12

Menuhin wrote:
webwit wrote:
Yea, I checked out that thread to, so passively. Hoping some elders would nominate something really "other".
I did a post and deleted it after I realized I was a day too late, also must admit most of the "other inputs" I did post really looked more ping award friendly :mrgreen:

Haaaaaandrew

04 Dec 2017, 14:48

7bit wrote: The Iris Keyboard is the only innovative item here. It connects the insanity of the Space Cadet keyboard with the elegance of a reduced ErgoDox!
Totally agree, a lot of the stuff coming out of keeb.io has been great.

JBert

05 Dec 2017, 20:39

Menuhin wrote:
webwit wrote:
Everyone is free to suggest nominees, elder or no as long as you give a valid summarized reason. Maybe next DTAs?

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Dec 2017, 22:51

Less than a day left to vote. Currently, one nominee is clearly in the lead! The results will be announced Wednesday 6 December from 19:00 UTC.

Return to “Final vote”