20%
Cherry MX Ergo Clear
18%

Total votes: 173

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Dec 2017, 20:06

Sponsored by:
Vote in this category to win 3 keycap sets, a grab bag, and SP hats from Pimp My Keyboard/SP!

Round 3 rules:
Please vote for the best keyswitch of 2017.

This is the final round. See the first round and second round for reference.

The final round ends on Wednesday 6 December, 19:00 UTC. You can change your vote until the end of the round by resubmitting the poll. The winner and full results will be released soon after the vote closes.

Official nominees:

Vintage Cherry MX Black
The vintage Cherry MX Black is the original MX switch. In production since 1984, it was an instant hit, and the modern variant still lies at the heart of the mechanical keyboard world today. The vintage variant of this linear, medium weight switch is told to be smoother than the new ones.

It all comes back to black. Modern on the left (smaller Cherry logo) - Vintage on the right (larger Cherry logo).

Kailh BOX White
The Kailh BOX white is a new clicky, light tactile, 50g switch, using Kailh's new clickbar design to produce those awesome clicks. Kailh claims the BOX switches are IP56 waterproof/dustproof. It's great to see such innovation.
Kailh white BOX switch review by Chyros.

IBM beam springs
The IBM beam spring was used in almost all of the keyboards that IBM designed during the 1970s, and has, since its rediscovery, a wide following of fans who regard it as the best switch.

Beam springs from below, showing the fly plates.

IBM buckling springs
The famous, legendary, and downright notoriously loud IBM buckling spring is a mainstay of the mechanical keyboard realm. IBM made the king of click with an unusual design of switch where the spring buckles outwards instead of compressing. Buckling spring is at the heart of IBM's highly prized Model F and Model M families of keyboards.

Buckling springs from a 1996 Greenock blue label IBM Model M, made in Scotland, from girders.

Cherry MX Ergo Clear
A classic but still amazing, the Ergo Clear mod is a Cherry MX switch that has been modified with a slider from a clear switch and a lighter spring, and lubrication for extra effect. They feel somewhat like the Cherry MX Brown switch, but with a bigger, longer tactile bump.
Ergo Clear Mechanical Keyboard Modification.

Chyros

01 Dec 2017, 22:31

Much as I love SKCM blue, I'd never deny beam springs are a much better switch. They're almost completely perfect. SUCH a joy to type on those motherfuckers! :D

nsmechkb

01 Dec 2017, 22:36

Chyros wrote: Much as I love SKCM blue, I'd never deny beam springs are a much better switch. They're almost completely perfect. SUCH a joy to type on those motherfuckers! :D
Out of curiosity, what would you change to rid beam springs of that "almost"?

Chyros

01 Dec 2017, 22:39

nsmechkb wrote:
Chyros wrote: Much as I love SKCM blue, I'd never deny beam springs are a much better switch. They're almost completely perfect. SUCH a joy to type on those motherfuckers! :D
Out of curiosity, what would you change to rid beam springs of that "almost"?
Admittedly they have a few minor flaws; they are more prone to both mechanical and electrical failure than capacitive buckling springs, the switches are very tall, and the mount isn't ideal. In all aspects that matter most though, they are just too damn good.

Try them right next to a Model F, and it'll be obvious. The quality speaks for itself.

nsmechkb

01 Dec 2017, 22:48

Chyros wrote: Admittedly they have a few minor flaws; they are more prone to both mechanical and electrical failure than capacitive buckling springs, the switches are very tall, and the mount isn't ideal. In all aspects that matter most though, they are just too damn good.

Try them right next to a Model F, and it'll be obvious. The quality speaks for itself.
Appreciate the details; thank you!

davkol

02 Dec 2017, 00:54

Meanwhile, I'm here undecided between vintage MX Black and Kailh Box White.

I don't even like clicky switches (with one or two exceptions), but Kailh would get it from me only for the clickbar innovation. Incompatibility with other MX/clone switches (springs, housings—damping clips) is annoying though, and I'm seeing reports of Kaihua cutting down on quality, presumably to satisfy demand. I guess a vote in the innovation category is a better fit.

OTOH, vintage MX Black is my goto switch, because it's a classic that just works… even in my ErgoDox, with assorted MX-mount keycaps, QMX Clips and replacement springs. The modularity is great; ergo clears are an even better example of this, but I'm not a fan of the feel: too tactile for me, sometimes to the point of being sticky, sometimes because it slows me down when not typing.

Haaaaaandrew

04 Dec 2017, 14:59

davkol wrote: ...ergo clears are an even better example of this, but I'm not a fan of the feel: too tactile for me, sometimes to the point of being sticky,...
I had 62g ergo clears in an ergodox and sticking was problem on a few of my switches, it definitely tripped me up when it would happen.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Dec 2017, 22:57

Less than a day left to vote. Currently, three nominees are fighting for the win in a very close race! The results will be announced Wednesday 6 December from 19:00 UTC.

Return to “Final vote”