17%
Wodan for his keyboard building videos
12%

Total votes: 195

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Dec 2017, 20:37

Sponsored by:
Vote in this category to win a Varmilo VA68Mg and Filco Convertible 2 from The Keyboard Company!

Round 3 rules:
Please vote for the Deskthority Award 2017. What has been extra special this year? Who earns the Golden Wingnut?

This is the final round. See the first round and second round for reference.

The final round ends on Wednesday 6 December, 19:00 UTC. You can change your vote until the end of the round by resubmitting the poll. The winner and full results will be released soon after the vote closes.

Official nominees (presented by matt3o):

Chyros for his Youtube productions in 2017
There are many Youtube channels dedicated to keyboards but few have Chyrosran22's passion, competence and perseverance. DIY, vintage keyboards, modern switches everything seems to be covered by this guy who managed to reach 12k subscribers in a niche market like this one. If you value his content and appreciate what he is doing for the mechanical keyboard community, you should totally vote for him.

Chyrosran22 in his natural habitat.

Daniel Beardsmore for his work on the wiki in 2017
Daniel doesn't need introduction. He is one of the pillars of Deskthority and specifically the relentless main contributor of the wiki. His dedication and maniacal research of the tiniest details made the DT wiki the number one reference guide on the Internet when it comes to mechanical keyboards. Best way to show him your appreciation is to cast your vote for him.

Daniel's page on the wiki

Kailh for actually innovating in the switch design space
They started with lousy Cherry MX clones and they grew up as real innovators. Kailh not only improved the manufacturing quality but they are constantly pushing new switches into the market. Spilled your soda on the keyboard? No sweat, Kailh has got waterproof switches. Need an ultra low profile keyboard? Kailh got that covered. Clicky switch lover? Look no further, they reinvented the click switch too. They also partnered with Input Club to release the custom switch Hako designed by the well know Haata.

Spill-proof, dust-safe Kailh switch

KBDFans for bringing new good things for a cheap price
Getting custom keyboards or components to build them was once an hard and expensive endeavor. Today things are a little less complicated thanks to dedicated ecommerce like KBDFans. A huge inventory and decent pricing brought KBDFans to this year's DT Awards; if you are a shopaholic, you know where your vote belongs.

KBDFans homepage

Wodan for his keyboard building videos
Video contents are king this year. Long time DT user Wodan is having a lot of fun shooting videos in his garage about all sort of keyboards he seems to be growing on trees. He also recently made some step by step tutorials about building custom keyboards and they granted him a nomination to this year's DT Awards!

Wodan in his garage having dismantling keyboards

Findecanor

01 Dec 2017, 22:30

BTW, Kailh and KBDfans are also finalists in the Best modern keyboard or company category.

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Dec 2017, 22:47

"Best way to show him your appreciation is to cast your vote for him." Wrong. Always wrong.

recon8659

01 Dec 2017, 22:50

Woo cmon chryos

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Dec 2017, 23:05

Yes we know, Beardsmore. If you win, we'll give you that group-hug you've been really aching for.

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Dec 2017, 23:16

Is that a challenge for me to think of something worse?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Dec 2017, 23:17

Sorry let me rephrase it.

Best way to show him your appreciation is to completely ignore him, you rebel scum!

Buggot

02 Dec 2017, 00:02

Lots of good contenders. I was stuck between two, but there can only be one!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

02 Dec 2017, 12:52

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: "Best way to show him your appreciation is to cast your vote for him." Wrong. Always wrong.
Best way to show him your appreciation is to add/update to the Wiki. In the end, it benefits us all. You can vote for him too because it is a ridiculous amount of work he puts into the wiki including updates, illustrations, research... it goes on and on. Yes, there are many who contribute but nobody is a close second.

mecano

02 Dec 2017, 16:01

Arggh Chyros face! As I never saw it, I was always portraying him like the Carel Struycken's son (http://carelstruycken.com), was really cool, you broke my illusions! ::cry::
And then you broke my hopes to see Daniel face, a picture of what? The wiki? Really? I am the only one to wonder if Daniel got really more beard than anyone else? But hey less is more I guess :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Dec 2017, 16:04

snuci wrote:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: "Best way to show him your appreciation is to cast your vote for him." Wrong. Always wrong.
Best way to show him your appreciation is to add/update to the Wiki. In the end, it benefits us all. You can vote for him too because it is a ridiculous amount of work he puts into the wiki including updates, illustrations, research... it goes on and on. Yes, there are many who contribute but nobody is a close second.
Agreed. And start adding content to the wiki.

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Dec 2017, 16:16

mecano wrote: I am the only one to wonder if Daniel got really more beard than anyone else? But hey less is more I guess :)
I've not had a beard in a number of years now.

depletedvespene

02 Dec 2017, 16:18

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
mecano wrote: I am the only one to wonder if Daniel got really more beard than anyone else? But hey less is more I guess :)
"Daniel Beardless", then?

Chyros

02 Dec 2017, 17:19

depletedvespene wrote:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
"Daniel Beardless", then?
Daniel Beardsnomore.

mecano

02 Dec 2017, 17:37

Ahaha good one :)
And another fantasy of mine gone, thank you, really thank you guys.
At least I still got Wodan that is part living at the recycling center (why he sometimes forget to remove that yellow jacket that makes guys there think he is working with them, hacker skill, social engineering camouflage it is) and his basement (I even think, there is nothing built on top of his basement).

Haaaaaandrew

04 Dec 2017, 14:52

Tough to pick one in this category but Kaihl really has been innovating while the other switch makers have just kept producing the same products. Although outemu have started swinging with some of their new flavors.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Dec 2017, 23:01

Less than a day left to vote. Currently, it's an extremely tight race between two nominees! The results will be announced Wednesday 6 December from 19:00 UTC.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

06 Dec 2017, 17:22

Voted for my boy wodan, his streams and videos are fantastic.

cookie

06 Dec 2017, 17:24

I like Wodans stuff very much but I feel obliged to give my vote to one of the silent heroes doing populating the wiki.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

06 Dec 2017, 17:43

cookie wrote: I like Wodans stuff very much but I feel obliged to give my vote to one of the silent heroes doing populating the wiki.
He was my original pick as well... but he doesnt want to be recognized, and I respect that

snuci
Vintage computer guy

06 Dec 2017, 17:52

mike52787 wrote: He was my original pick as well... but he doesnt want to be recognized, and I respect that
While we have some great competitors in this category, I would rather show where my vote is and have the actual award fall back to the runner-up, if so desired.

Return to “Final vote”