Best artisan keycap

kiwi99

07 Dec 2017, 02:25

go go jellykey! forgot to vote but even if I did I would have voted for the best artisans around, glad to see the most deserving artisan win

jkaos92

07 Dec 2017, 02:40

Findecanor wrote: Everyone also gets several chances to comment on the nominees during the three rounds, and explain why a nominee would be less or more deserving of votes than others. Complaining afterwards is a bit childish.
Pretty sure that if i explained the tons of shit or shady things they did before the votes, people would have still voted for JK, simply because most of the people did not read the whole post of every post, that is understandable honestly (i didn't as well for awards where i had not much interest, placing a vote is easier than reading a whole post).

Said that, people like ETF/KF, eventually GAF, really deserved a win, not only because their Artisan are art (even if you might not like them), but also for their real dedication toward the community, no shady acts, no fuck ups...

Instead JK won again, caps that i wouldn't even define artisans, mostly because their caps looks like actualy keycaps. Since this is probably the main reason that pushed DT to vote for them, i would kindly remind that artisan makers also do blanks or if you want fancy caps with the shape of a keycap and similar to JK, you have many cheaper option ($10-15 instead of $50) with probably an higher quality. Check out Taobao or idea23 for it.

Example here of a $13 cap:
Spoiler:
Said that, i think that the Artisan reward shouldn't be repeated the next year, with JK winning again it is clear to me that the most part of DT don't like/understand REAL Artisans (totally acceptable tho).

That's just my two cents

wikkiwikki420

07 Dec 2017, 03:01

Just to be clear...

Best artisan keycap goes to a keycap nobody has had an opportunity to buy or see in person. Cool.

I mean I am not against JellyKey or anything. I got several on order and some of them are being/have been shipped. But to name this one the winner... Come on guys, get your shit together.

codemonkeymike

07 Dec 2017, 04:32

jkaos92 wrote:
Findecanor wrote: Everyone also gets several chances to comment on the nominees during the three rounds, and explain why a nominee would be less or more deserving of votes than others. Complaining afterwards is a bit childish.
Pretty sure that if i explained the tons of shit or shady things they did before the votes, people would have still voted for JK, simply because most of the people did not read the whole post of every post, that is understandable honestly (i didn't as well for awards where i had not much interest, placing a vote is easier than reading a whole post).

Said that, people like ETF/KF, eventually GAF, really deserved a win, not only because their Artisan are art (even if you might not like them), but also for their real dedication toward the community, no shady acts, no fuck ups...

Instead JK won again, caps that i wouldn't even define artisans, mostly because their caps looks like actualy keycaps. Since this is probably the main reason that pushed DT to vote for them, i would kindly remind that artisan makers also do blanks or if you want fancy caps with the shape of a keycap and similar to JK, you have many cheaper option ($10-15 instead of $50) with probably an higher quality. Check out Taobao or idea23 for it.

Example here of a $13 cap:
Spoiler:
Said that, i think that the Artisan reward shouldn't be repeated the next year, with JK winning again it is clear to me that the most part of DT don't like/understand REAL Artisans (totally acceptable tho).

That's just my two cents
Can you explain for us your angle?

Because as I see it you pulled for Keyforge in nomination. That's all fine and cool.
Not sure why many are nominating Artisan makers instead of artisans.
Many will vote for GAF sculpts because these are popular right now (and yeah nice sculpts), but i think the best artisan is still the Orochi (by Keyforge). I'm not naming it for my clear love for this sculpt but because it is extremely detailed and well made. I also appreciate the effort to make an artisan.
Also i got into Artisans when i saw the Orochi on reddit (and still have to get one lul) so i can't nominate any other artisan even if i like many different sculpts.

If we want to nominate an Artisan maker, i like many of them but i think my nomination would still go to Keyforge because imho from the Jade Empire sale he did something too good and made people crazy for them (so both Shishi and Orochi). S

I prefer Orochi for the sculpt, but the Shishi is also hard to not like, detailed and actually a clickable cap (differently from the Orochi). Basically i love both these sculpts but my vote goes to Orochi!
But then you come and attack the winner of the poll and essentially call DT folks some names.

Now as I see it you have some definite link to Keyforge

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... gb_is_live

So I ask, what is your angle and what do you expect from coming and insulting?

Khers

07 Dec 2017, 08:07

So much hostility in this thread!

I don't get it. The exclusion of an artisan-exclusive DTA category yielded an uproar to the point where such a category was included. Now, post facto, many of the same users are complaining that the wrong entry won and that therefore this category, maybe the entire awards, is a joke. The maturity level on display here is truly impressive - my 2.5 year old shows a greater comprehension of the rules of the game.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2017, 10:12

I do hope my fervent advertising for the Jelly Key somehow helped :mrgreen:
kbdfr wrote: I'm voting for the Jelly Key, the only candidate which seems eager to attract the looks to the beauty of our planet instead of showing yet another boring iteration of an imaginary ferocious face […]
And by the way, it's rather funny to see this is the only [Results] thread already having reached its third page when no other even made it to a second page.
It is quite like I imagine teenage girls would react to another than their preferred earring design having won a contest :lol:

7bit

07 Dec 2017, 10:13

Congratulations!
:ugeek:

I also voted for this. Really looks great and is more original than those wannaby-scary faces.
:cool:

cookie

07 Dec 2017, 10:13

A vote is a vote, there is no way around this and bitching after the results is just weak and inmature.

Btw. claiming that folks around here don't understand "REAL" artisan caps is nothing else than stupid banter to me. Also quite funny that we have the most drama in a category which is clearly aimed towards younger audience, which ultimately proves to me that some people don't get what the "REAL" keyboard community is about. Therefore, take your jar of salt and shove it back to GH or /r/mk because we don't need this here.

Thank you.

Edit: Ohhh before I forget, congratulations to jelly which in my eyes combines unusual aesthetics with fancy materials, wonderful presentation and the most important. Actually looking like a keycap.

jkaos92

07 Dec 2017, 10:18

Without quoting everything
codemonkeymike wrote:
Can you explain for us your angle?
Because as I see it you pulled for Keyforge in nomination. That's all fine and cool.

What you mean exactly, what should i explain, why i nominated and voted KF or why JK winning is a joke?

codemonkeymike wrote: But then you come and attack the winner of the poll and essentially call DT folks some names.

Umm just to let it be clear, you guys voted for a shady company that was nominated as a JOKE!
Not mad that KF won, for me ANY artisan maker could have won, except for JK.
Some of their caps aren't even artisans, I want to give you a clear example of what happened, think if a Razer Blackwidow Chroma was nominated by a random redditor as best keyboard and won the award for some reasons (trolls, etc..), wouldn't you be a bit disappointed?
You basically let the Razer of the artisan win lul

codemonkeymike wrote: Now as I see it you have some definite link to Keyforge
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb...gb_is_live
So I ask, what is your angle and what do you expect from coming and insulting?

LMAO, i wish i had some definite link to Keyforge, at least i would have some of his caps.
That was a contest that i won, basically t-shirts designed by the community for KF, later KF produced the top voted designs in a GB and i just posted it on reddit (since he/she didn't), KF is usually more a geekhack user.

You investigated poorly mate, if you can checkout my other posts you will clearly see that i posted many times other "buy posts" or things regarding companies.
So in your logic i'm connected to all of them? I think you don't know how reddit works.

I would say, do not call me out with a random supposition that you had with a 3 second google search rofl, you could have said KBDFans at least since i nominated him as well and since I posted many times things related to them /s
Oh also, my nick is jkaos, sometimes people call me JK, i'm Jelly Key now right? /s2
Last edited by jkaos92 on 07 Dec 2017, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2017, 10:21

Can't you just ACCEPT that another candidate won?

jkaos92

07 Dec 2017, 10:25

kbdfr wrote: Can't you just ACCEPT that another candidate won?

I did already, was fair to answer to him right?
He made me a question and he kinda tried to call me out somehow so I had to answer, otherwise that long answer was the last answer on this thread.

Also, i can't discuss things on DT? If i'm not wrong you went all crazy with iArson, I could say the same!
Last edited by jkaos92 on 07 Dec 2017, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Dec 2017, 10:27

jkaos92

07 Dec 2017, 10:29

webwit wrote: Image
:lol:

Got it, will shut my mouth right here

edit: sorry if i went full blyat, peace

andrewjoy

07 Dec 2017, 10:53

I am almost tempted to change the name of this thread to " Deskthority Salt Mining Inc."

Honestly its quite funny :D.

cookie

07 Dec 2017, 11:31

andrewjoy wrote: I am almost tempted to change the name of this thread to " Deskthority Salt Mining Inc."

Honestly its quite funny :D.
That would have been hilarious!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2017, 12:38

kbdfr wrote: […]
It is quite like I imagine teenage girls would react to another than their preferred earring design having won a contest :lol:
webwit wrote: Image
webwit, I said "teenage girls", not kiddies :mrgreen:

cookie

07 Dec 2017, 14:08

@kbdfr But this image is just so... perfect!

codemonkeymike

07 Dec 2017, 15:26

kbdfr wrote: I do hope my fervent advertising for the Jelly Key somehow helped :mrgreen:
kbdfr wrote: I'm voting for the Jelly Key, the only candidate which seems eager to attract the looks to the beauty of our planet instead of showing yet another boring iteration of an imaginary ferocious face […]
And by the way, it's rather funny to see this is the only [Results] thread already having reached its third page when no other even made it to a second page.
I think that's unfair to teenage girls, or too fair to those complaining about loosing the artisan contest.

Meddle

07 Dec 2017, 16:19

This entire thing is akin to a Budweiser product winning "Best Craft Beer".

codemonkeymike

07 Dec 2017, 16:55

Meddle wrote: This entire thing is akin to a Budweiser product winning "Best Craft Beer".
Samuel Adams wins awards for their beers every year even though they are the largest "Craft Brewery" in the world.

pomk

07 Dec 2017, 17:03

Meddle wrote: This entire thing is akin to a Budweiser product winning "Best Craft Beer".
I’m pretty sure that the budweiser analogy would work only if a company like Dell won this category. Jelly key is still a very small artisan company and calling them out for making caps in amounts people want to buy them in is laughable.

Halvar

07 Dec 2017, 17:08

jkaos92 wrote: Without quoting everything
What you mean exactly, what should i explain, why i nominated and voted KF or why JK winning is a joke?

Umm just to let it be clear, you guys voted for a shady company that was nominated as a JOKE!
Still not enough information for me to get it, I mean why them winning is a joke. OK, what I understood is that they had quality problems with their mounts.

How is the company shady? Why was it only nominated as a joke? I'm following artisan caps only very loosely, I voted for them because I found the design very original and different from what I've seen in artisan caps so far, that was all. Isn't that enough reason?

I understand the Budweiser referral as them not being a solo artist but a company. Does that make the design less original? Are the caps made in an industrial process? Their web site says they're hand made, is that a lie?

I'd really like some enlightenment here ...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2017, 17:12

To me, the funniest thing is that the nomination of the Jelly Key was simply a discrediting joke and I did’nt notice :lol:

I find the sempiternal monsterfaces which have your preference not only hideous, but also plain boring, and both fully uninspiring and fully uninspired.
And obviously a majority felt the same. They went for something completely different: a smooth, peaceful and harmonious representation of a fairy landscape.

Too bad you don’t like it,
but thanks for debunking the old prejudice that denigrating other people’s taste would be a characteristic of the elderly :mrgreen:

gateron

07 Dec 2017, 17:15

Halvar wrote:

Still not enough information for me to get it, I mean why them winning is a joke. OK, what I understood is that they had quality problems with their mounts.

How is the company shady? Why was it only nominated as a joke? I'm following artisan caps only very loosely, I voted for them because I found the design very original and different from what I've seen in artisan caps so far, that was all. Isn't that enough reason?

I understand the Budweiser referral as them not being a solo artist but a company. Does that make the design less original? Are the caps made in an industrial process? Their web site says they're hand made, is that a lie?

to quote someone from earlier in thread:
https://imgur.com/a/eGEcD

They do 3D print sculpts and paint over them, I'm sorry I had to inform you of that since you actually seemed to like them. However, that will probably not change your overall opinion.

andrewjoy

07 Dec 2017, 17:17

You know that https://www.clackeys.com/ are 3D printed right ?

gateron

07 Dec 2017, 17:19

Funny hearing you talking about acceptance and being a good sport. You didn't seem very accepting of iArsons win, which he got fair and square.

to quote from reddit,
"Long-time Deskthority member, just registered here to express my disgust.
Arson does not promote the DT Awards, he just lenghtily advertises his own achievements to have you vote for him, as he himself expresses: "I'm super happy to have made it to the finals. To give back I want to giveaway my SCP Fugu to those of you who come out and vote"."

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2017, 17:25

gateron wrote:
Funny hearing you talking about acceptance and being a good sport. You didn't seem very accepting of iArsons win, which he got fair and square.

to quote from reddit,
"Long-time Deskthority member, just registered here to express my disgust.
Arson does not promote the DT Awards, he just lenghtily advertises his own achievements to have you vote for him, as he himself expresses: "I'm super happy to have made it to the finals. To give back I want to giveaway my SCP Fugu to those of you who come out and vote"."
Well, you seem to be confusing things.
What you quote is what I posted on reddit before the vote.
And here is what I posted here after he won:
kbdfr wrote: Well, he made it - congratulations :lol:
Not sure you see the slight difference :mrgreen:

jkaos92

07 Dec 2017, 17:29

Halvar wrote:

Apart that it was nominated as a joke (the guy who nominated it showed a broken stem), here are few reasons:

• Quality problems on stems/other (broken or crooked stems), not that this is the main problem, but actually the rate of failed caps that get shipped is too high.
• Vote manipulation on reddit with fake accounts or employees acounts (i won't comment this thanks, just believe it or not).
• Some """artisan""" of the past were 3d printed (not now afaik) and then painted while people expected hand made keycaps.
• Many problems of general nature (e.g. misleading advertising: they show you a super GID keycap on the site but later you might get a keycap that doesn't GID at all, just an example).
• Often they didn't answer to people complains until they were called out on reddit with the typical post of JK fuck ups, also they were used to ask to ship them back the keycap at your costs when they fucked up a keycap.
• Shady things with charity IN THE PAST and shady things when their caps batch got lost (as far as i remember, won't brush up the old drama).
• General lies and bullshits.

TL;DR

2017: https://gfycat.com/PointedBruisedDeer
2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3eikXj6e4 (this is quality content, also explain something)
Last edited by jkaos92 on 07 Dec 2017, 17:35, edited 3 times in total.

chuckdee

07 Dec 2017, 17:30

gateron wrote:
Halvar wrote:

to quote someone from earlier in thread:
https://imgur.com/a/eGEcD

They do 3D print sculpts and paint over them, I'm sorry I had to inform you of that since you actually seemed to like them. However, that will probably not change your overall opinion.
And you should include the next post- that's not what I said. ALL of their keys are not done with that (and not implying that all of anyone else is using 3d printing). I was merely saying when he didn't read, that the things that they do that are not 3d printed sculpts are beautiful works of art.
Spoiler:
That is not 3d printed, and is a piece of art, in my opinion, and as they say - art is in the eye of the beholder.
And as to the Deskthority forum goers being in some way less, the voters decided. The Voters were invited from 3 different boards. If you didn't vote, or others that are in the know from whatever forum didn't vote, well, that's on them.

chuckdee

07 Dec 2017, 17:35

jkaos92 wrote:
Apart that it was nominated as a joke (the guy who nominated it showed a broken stem), here are few reasons:

• Quality problems on stems/other (broken or crooked stems), not that this is the main problem, but actually the rate of failed caps that get shipped is too high.
• Vote manipulation on reddit with fake accounts or employees acounts (i won't comment this thanks, just believe it or not).
• Some """artisan""" of the past were 3d printed (not sure now) and then painted while people expected hand made keycaps.
• Many problems of general nature (e.g. misleading advertising: they show you a super GID keycap on the site but later you might get a keycap that doesn't GID at all, just an example).
• Often they didn't answer to people complains until they were called out on reddit with the typical post of JK fuck ups, also they were used to ask to ship them back the keycap at your costs when they fucked up a keycap.
• Shady things with charity IN THE PAST and shady things when their caps batch got lost (as far as i remember, won't brush up the old drama).
• General lies and bullshits.

TL;DR

2017: https://gfycat.com/PointedBruisedDeer
2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3eikXj6e4 (this is quality content, also explain something)
No, in all honesty. Just because they have had QC problems, or anything else from them, takes nothing away from the artistic nature of the work. I have bought a few of their productions, and am satisfied with them, and think that they are beautiful.

Can you name another artisan maker that has made anything like that one shown in the shot on the finals? And that's an honest question, as I love that one. Or like the enter the stars or constellation?

A nomination in this category says nothing about any of the things that you speak of. It's more about the ideas and artistic nature. I leave problems in QC to the consumer to judge.

Return to “Results”