Best artisan keycap

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Dec 2017, 20:41

Sponsored by:
Voters have a chance at winning a New 75 and a ViBE keyboard from Vortex!

Winner:
The official nominees in the Best artisan keycap category were:

• Grimey As Fvck keycaps and for artisan of the year
  • Nightcaps from eat_the_food's Poisoned Summer sale
  • HWS Binge for best artisan and his hard work in 4x4
  • KeyForge's Sneaky Potato
  • Jelly Key

The Wingnut, as voted for by the keyboard community, goes to...
Spoiler:
Jelly Key
Jelly Key, from Vietnam, began offering artisan keycaps in 2016. Each keycap is literally handmade, and the materials vary considerably from one keycap to the next. Some artisans make only a few caps, and you need to pray to random number generator gods to get a chance to buy one. Jelly Key runs its new caps as group buys, which means everyone orders their caps, and then the company makes the necessary number.

"Inspired by the greatness of nature and from our imaginary about the perfect place for taking a moment away from our normal life. A life that is so tiring, busying, and full of anxiety. But those place was forbidden to us."
Runners-up:
Spoiler:
2nd place: KeyForge's Sneaky Potato
Sneaky certainly isn't new to the artisan community with quite a few successful sculpts last year, but he really stepped up his attention to detail and colorway complexity with his Shishi and Orochi sculpts this year, placing his cap quality on par with the most desirable artisans currently available.

The Orochi was sculpted shortly after Shishi, to provide it with a rough contrast to the smoother features of the Shishi.

3rd place: Grimey As Fvck keycaps and for artisan of the year
Various people nominated the GAF keycaps. Considerable thought was put into the sculpts, showing great skill in casting as well, with magnificent detail and color layering, resulting in a really unique look. Many of the caps consist of four shots, which clearly shows the difficulty of the sculpt and casting process. They show a grimy side to artisan making, reminiscent of graffiti artists.

The mind-blowing sculpts capture the complexity of artisan keycap making and the essence of grime in an artistically pleasing way.
Honorable mentions:
Spoiler:
Nightcaps from eat_the_food's Poisoned Summer sale
ETF's summer raffles on /r/MM excited many people for the chance to snag a couple of Nightcaps from the man himself, instead of suffering the extreme markups introduced by the private third-party. There was one sale per day, unannounced, posted on /r/MM, and each day would be a new color scheme and there would only ever be 20 made.

Delicious, fresh Nightcaps, perfectly sliced and cut.

HWS Binge for best artisan and his hard work in 4x4
Binge from Hunger Works Studio is not only a great artisan of Hunger Keys - HWS also offered the "4x4" fulfillment style sale of tripple-shot keys where the fan feedback decided what colors were used. This enabled HWS to provide them with a key they would like to own without delaying production for 100% customization.

"The shades and hues of each represented color are delicately tuned to the will of the Unicorn Ice Cream God, He Who Must Not be Neighhhhm’d (fka Hoof Prince). This is as much science as it is magic."

dgneo

06 Dec 2017, 20:42

LOL

dalesnail

06 Dec 2017, 20:44

>letting a troll slip through
>letting the troll post win

:gottem3:

mbsurfer

06 Dec 2017, 20:46

Last edited by mbsurfer on 06 Dec 2017, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

pwade3

06 Dec 2017, 20:47

:thinking_face:

scottc

06 Dec 2017, 20:49

Maos from Aliexpress was robbed! :( :cry: Jelly key was a close second though.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

06 Dec 2017, 20:49

wow

Buggot

06 Dec 2017, 20:51

Not sure what the troll post was, but I voted for JellyKey...

dalesnail

06 Dec 2017, 20:55

Buggot wrote: Not sure what the troll post was, but I voted for JellyKey...
Sorry for your loss :praying-hands:

Buggot

06 Dec 2017, 20:57

dalesnail wrote:
Buggot wrote: Not sure what the troll post was, but I voted for JellyKey...
Sorry for your loss :praying-hands:
What is my loss? I have no idea :D I'm trying to go back through the threads now but all I see is a bit of controversy

Lustique

06 Dec 2017, 21:00

dalesnail

06 Dec 2017, 21:19

Lustique wrote: Image
Even though I know you smugly satisfied, this gif always makes me laugh.

AMongoose

06 Dec 2017, 21:39

Was really rotting for the orochi here.

Slom

06 Dec 2017, 21:42

AMongoose wrote: Was really rotting for the orochi here.
Something is rooten in the state of DT :mrgreen:

jkaos92

06 Dec 2017, 22:03

JellyKey with 67 votes :facepalmDT:

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Dec 2017, 22:08

Did the voters not know something you do?

Meddle

06 Dec 2017, 22:08

Well that's a joke.

hansichen

06 Dec 2017, 22:12

Artisans are a joke so it's understandable that a joke won.

N3RDLY

06 Dec 2017, 22:13

Wait I thought this was a category for real artisans?

OutragedPudding

06 Dec 2017, 22:15

N3RDLY wrote: Wait I thought this was a category for real artisans?
I mean, that's why I voted for everything but Jelly Key. Was this supposed to be a joke vote? ;)

jkaos92

06 Dec 2017, 22:19

I guess that people that doesn't browse reddit really often (like me) can't know much about all the things behind Jelly Key. But ok, let's accept that JK "won" again :lol:

And no i'm not only talking about broken stems or crooked caps.
Last edited by jkaos92 on 06 Dec 2017, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

06 Dec 2017, 22:20

My favourite part about this award is how angry people are that JellyKey won.

I'm not particularly interested in artisans, but I voted for them because:

- They look novel and interesting, not another over-done monster face
- They do group buys manufacture to meet demand, so there's none of this exclusivity bullshit

I saw people complaining about broken stems. That's hilarious, because I also saw lots of new people nominating the likes of Kailh, who debuted in this community with a real hit:

:lol:

andrewjoy

06 Dec 2017, 22:23

I am glad this won. Not only do i think it genuinely looks the best , but it rustled some feathers.

I am guessing i should offload some of my salt shares :) looks like the price is going to drop he he he.

Lustique

06 Dec 2017, 22:23

They also look like actual key caps, which is a big plus…

jkaos92

06 Dec 2017, 22:25

scottc wrote: My favourite part about this award is how angry people are that JellyKey won.

I'm not particularly interested in artisans, but I voted for them because:

- They look novel and interesting, not another over-done monster face
- They do group buys manufacture to meet demand, so there's none of this exclusivity bullshit

I saw people complaining about broken stems. That's hilarious, because I also saw lots of new people nominating the likes of Kailh, who debuted in this community with a real hit:

:lol:

broken or crooked stems was the minimal thing about JK but still i never saw that happening with other artisans with that rate.

Also that photo of Kailh is of years ago (2012?) while this is a "best of the year vote". No one would have voted for Kailh in 2012, believe me. Your photo isn't really relevant.
Last edited by jkaos92 on 06 Dec 2017, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Meddle

06 Dec 2017, 22:26

They do group buys manufacture to meet demand, so there's none of this exclusivity bullshit

Almost like they're a company making them in a factory. Seems odd to not vote for true community members, but that's just me.

purdobol

06 Dec 2017, 22:29

scottc

06 Dec 2017, 22:30

"True community members" :lol: Alright.

My favourite part of this award is the reaction.

Meddle

06 Dec 2017, 22:35

scottc wrote: "True community members" :lol: Alright.

My favourite part of this award is the reaction.
A vitriolic reaction to the poorly ran awards, imagine that.

There's a reason you can put a name, a face and a personality to every nominee but one. I can't befriend a factory.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Dec 2017, 22:44

The nominators have nominated. The voters have voted.

Return to “Results”